Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!! Is it me or is it the B Grand??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rensver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Help!! Is it me or is it the B Grand?? Reply with quote

Guys,

Before I lose my mind I would appreciate some advice.

I have bought a kronos 2 73, liked it but I heard some strange artefacts on one note in the Berlin Grand (and other piano's based on the same sample I gues). Tried to get rid of it (equaliser, velocity, restore factorysounds, restore complete system) but nothing worked. Could not live with that so I returned it, and bought another.

Much to my regret that one has exactly the same artefact (some high oscilating noise) on this one note.

Now I am very frustrated and wonder if it is me or is there really some strange oscillating overtone? This piano is one of the reasons I bought the kronos.

I hope you guys wil listen to a wav underneath to see if you hear it to or that I am losing my hearing. I played the a3, b3 and c4. One of them has the problem.

The wav file is here: https://ooknodig.nl/synthesizers/

Thanks!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which note is it, and does it shift up or down the keybed when using the octave shift A or B buttons?

I get something similar, but just one bum note near the left hand end on a 61-key, and have had from new, and assumed it was a bad SSD area holding the sample so was planning on replacing the SSD. It is the German Grand in this case. It's a bit of a bummer, but the rest of the sounds were perfect, and was having way too much enjoyment with the rest of the sounds to send it back to Korg.

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In SGX-2 mode, simply lower the level of damper resonance (for example, to -12 dB instead of 0) or even turn it off.
rensver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damper release is off, in fact all components are off. BTW it is in SGX-1, nothing in 2

Besides the solution I really would like to know if you hear the oscillating sound in my sample?
rensver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Which note is it, and does it shift up or down the keybed when using the octave shift A or B buttons?

I get something similar, but just one bum note near the left hand end on a 61-key, and have had from new, and assumed it was a bad SSD area holding the sample so was planning on replacing the SSD. It is the German Grand in this case. It's a bit of a bummer, but the rest of the sounds were perfect, and was having way too much enjoyment with the rest of the sounds to send it back to Korg.

Its the b3 note. Also I hear it (less obvious in c2.

And its shifts. So not a keyboard issue.

And its only in the louder sample, so when playing soft it isnt there.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help!! Is it me or is it the B Grand?? Reply with quote

rensver wrote:
Guys,

Before I lose my mind I would appreciate some advice.

Much to my regret that one has exactly the same artefact (some high oscilating noise) on this one note.

Now I am very frustrated and wonder if it is me or is there really some strange oscillating overtone? This piano is one of the reasons I bought the kronos.

I hope you guys wil listen to a wav underneath to see if you hear it to or that I am losing my hearing. I played the a3, b3 and c4. One of them has the problem.

The wav file is here: https://ooknodig.nl/synthesizers/

Thanks!

that's exactly how my Berlin Grand sounds. And highly likely what the actual grand piano sounds, that Korg sampled.

In general, acoustic pianos are not digitally perfect.

Nothing unusual about your Berlin on your K. Maybe its not your preference for an acoustic piano on the Kronos.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rensver wrote:
Damper release is off, in fact all components are off. BTW it is in SGX-1, nothing in 2

Besides the solution I really would like to know if you hear the oscillating sound in my sample?

Berlin Grand has been covered many times over in the forum here, and specifically about the odd 3 note section that sounds odd.
I don’t have my Kronos to recall which notes they are but they were 3 notes in my case.
Some have said it sounds like a tuning problem that was recorded during sampling.
Korg never did anything about it and i assume it is just the nature of the original Acoustic grand they recorded for samples.

in my case, my ears eventually adjusted to it and i have forgotten about it.
rensver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont believe the it is the acoustic stringresonance I hear, it is rather a very high oscilator noise. Very soft only with the B3 note, but I hear it clearly especially since the other keys do not have that. It disturbes me also because it kind of comes after the piano sound, and I hear it also in chords I play with te B3 note. When I compare with my Nord Stage 2 those piano sounds are much cleaner.

I am very sad about it but I am returning this one also. Would have liked to finally also owning a Korg, since I always admired the Triton. But it is what it is. Thanx for the responses.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rensver wrote:
I dont believe the it is the acoustic stringresonance I hear, it is rather a very high oscilator noise. Very soft only with the B3 note, but I hear it clearly especially since the other keys do not have that. It disturbes me also because it kind of comes after the piano sound, and I hear it also in chords I play with te B3 note. When I compare with my Nord Stage 2 those piano sounds are much cleaner.

I am very sad about it but I am returning this one also. Would have liked to finally also owning a Korg, since I always admired the Triton. But it is what it is. Thanx for the responses.

too bad, it didn't work out for you. I have recorded over 60 songs, many featuring piano.

I think almost every instrument has a tiny bit or just 1 note that is a teensy bit off. But I accept it, and the recordings sound great. Any tiny tuning bit is not audible in the mix.

for my purposes, and the bigger picture, 99.6% perfect is more than acceptable.

Wish you success with your music production.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rensver wrote:
I dont believe the it is the acoustic stringresonance I hear, it is rather a very high oscilator noise.

Sorry but you are mistaken. It is neither an oscillator nor a noise. When you are used to tune acoustic pianos (I play since decades and also tune them) you hear weird overtones all the time, even on the 250 000 $ concert ones from the most prestigious brands.

In this case, B3 (around 247 Hz) triggered C#7 by sympathetic resonance, which was recorded during sampling. Since on an acoustic piano (AP) the highest keys have no dampers, they can easily be energized. Why this particular note, because the B3's 9th partial is three octaves and a major second above it (around 2220 Hz in this example given the iH of that particular piano). C#7 can also be heard at a lesser amplitude when you strike F#5 on the Korg German grand, because F#5 is also related to C#7 (6th partial).

So it is the sampled AP you hear, not a digital noise. On an AP, the partials of a given string don't need to be perfectly aligned with the fundamental/partial of another string to make it resonate. A close frequency can transmit enough energy to trigger other strings, especially if they are not dampened.

Real APs exhibit all kinds of imperfections. So Korg has nothing to fix. They actually captured the piano character with great precision, even the flaws. Another well-known problem on many Steinways (here the Korg German grand) is a little lack of energy in the so-called "killer octave", in this case starting around F#5 and up for about an octave. This was also captured well by Korg when they sampled this piano.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Real APs exhibit all kinds of imperfections. So Korg has nothing to fix.

Totally agree. If I hit the keys on my real acoustic grand in certain clumsy ways, I can generate all sorts of overtones and artifacts. That's the skill of a good pianist on a well regulated action, to caress the keys in such a way that the hammers give a clean strike, with skillful application of the damper.

This is all done for you on a digital piano!

I often don't like the sampled pianos which have been tuned and recorded with such precision, that they sound clinical and sterile, they really miss the organic reality to me. I even need to play a digital piano with all the action release samples turned up so I feel at home. Smile
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one dumps Kronos because the Berlin grand is not what it was expected to be.
So where does one go to get a Berlin Grand sampled piano that works as expected in just one person’s expectations?

And to dump Kronos because of the Berlin Grand, without realizing Kronos is designed to load in more piano sets than the already numerous piano options from the factory.
So now i am curious if the 3rd party piano sets available were considered?

Either way, if all you want is a superb piano, Kronos is not the best option.
Maybe Nord for a powerful and impressive sounding stage piano, or software pianos like found on KeyScape from Spectrasonics. Maybe other worthy software pianos that i don’t know about.

Kronos pianos are not bad, but the world of Acoustic pianos is one of acquired tastes. Some pianos win nearly every player over, mostly for their rare quality that comes with a huge price.
There are cheaper or simpler pianos that win some players away from the most expensive pianos even when the player can afford any piano in the world.

And that for sure means there is nothing wrong with an impulsive attitude towards Kronos pianos when you are looking mainly for pianos.
Your music has to be your playing and your playing has to be with what feels and sounds right for the music that matters to you.
Life isn’t meant to be wasted in things that don’t work for you, no matter how good those things may be in the acquired tastes of others.

All that said, it still does not say where you can go to find a Berlin Grand sampled piano program that is perfect.
But i suspect Nord and some of the Software pianos sets out there, will satisfy at the end of the road in alternatives.
rensver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it was only the Berlin Grand one could easily accept it.

But this -what I call noisy artefact- is also in every piano on he Kronos that appearantly is based on the same sample. So almost 1/3 of all ap piano's in the kronos give this noise.

I have played piano's for about 40 years and this is the first instrument that has this strange artefact so audible on one note only. Thats why I don't believe this is an overtones, its much to obvious for that.

By the way I didn't post this to point out that the Kronos is a bad instrument, in contrary, I think it is a powerfull beast.
I just was looking for confirmation it was not my ears and maybe somebody would have found a solution. Or that is by coincidence in both Kornosses I tried.

Last edited by rensver on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
I often don't like the sampled pianos which have been tuned and recorded with such precision, that they sound clinical and sterile, they really miss the organic reality to me.

Exactly. Cool
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rensver wrote:
W

I have played piano's for about 40 years and this is the first instrument that has this strange artefact so audible on one note only. Thats why I don't believe this is an overtones, its much to obvious for that.

no , thats not correct. The Roland AP's also have some notes that are a teensy bit off.

Its no big deal.

BTW, we are not trying to persuade you. Everyone is entitled to have their own beliefs with music production.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: