Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha SX700/900/previous middle range vs Korg PA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips!

The thing I keep coming back to is translation. I'm tempted to customize the eq for the built-in speakers, but for translation to other speakers the curve could be well off.

This is just one more example, that when you've got a complex system running, you can't deviate too far from the 'center point', everything affects everything else.

And not only for the built-in speakers. If I've got a bass sound for example, the question becomes, do I adjust the eq of the individual sounds or the Global EQ.

Based on my fairly limited testing of bass tones, my conclusion so far is I can do a modest jump on the bass to +3 at 90-100hz at the Global EQ. I agree, +3 seems reasonable in terms of speaker protection.

I do wonder how close to flat the system is without Global EQ. I'd be curious if someone had the mic and software to see how close to flat it was, there's bound to be sounds close enough to reproduce white and pink noise, or you could just use the line ins.

Or, if someone had some studio monitors they trusted to be reasonably flat, 5" in size to approximate the size of the built-ins, and then tune it by ear.

Having the system tuned so it's as flat as possible is not practical, you want the sounds to jump out as best as these little speakers can manage, but it's always helpful to have a starting / reference point.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Thanks for all the tips!

The thing I keep coming back to is translation. I'm tempted to customize the eq for the built-in speakers, but for translation to other speakers the curve could be well off.

This is just one more example, that when you've got a complex system running, you can't deviate too far from the 'center point', everything affects everything else.

And not only for the built-in speakers. If I've got a bass sound for example, the question becomes, do I adjust the eq of the individual sounds or the Global EQ.

Based on my fairly limited testing of bass tones, my conclusion so far is I can do a modest jump on the bass to +3 at 90-100hz at the Global EQ. I agree, +3 seems reasonable in terms of speaker protection.

I do wonder how close to flat the system is without Global EQ. I'd be curious if someone had the mic and software to see how close to flat it was, there's bound to be sounds close enough to reproduce white and pink noise, or you could just use the line ins.

Or, if someone had some studio monitors they trusted to be reasonably flat, 5" in size to approximate the size of the built-ins, and then tune it by ear.

Having the system tuned so it's as flat as possible is not practical, you want the sounds to jump out as best as these little speakers can manage, but it's always helpful to have a starting / reference point.

I doubt you will find any sound or program on the PA1000 that is NOT affected by some kind of EQ. Keep in mind that the styles have EQ settings for each track as well Smile.

I have a pair of JBl LSR305 monitors in my studio and I think that they are pretty flat. I would not consider them a good comparison to my PA700 because the PA700 only has a full range speaker on each side. you have a woofer/tweeter config on the PA1000. Another thing that any studio monitor would be ported differently and use different materials for the box than the PA series do.

To be fair, I boost the high end a bit on my PA700 because it only has full range speakers Smile This helps the sound get out to the audience a bit better (at least for definition).

I would say that the monitors I have that are the closest to my PA700 speakers would be my Presonus Eris 3.5 monitors. I love those things and they sound great when I play the PA700 through them. The woofer is smaller, for sure, but the two-way config of them and their 50 watts of power make everything sound good.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best way to deal with master compression and EQ is to have them turned off when you create your programs, sets, sequences and styles, and play through a decent flat set of studio monitors that you are intimately familiar with how they sound when playing professionally mastered CD's (no mp3's!).

I have a pair of relatively inexpensive Mackie HR824 that I've had for nearly a couple of decades. I also have a pair of QSC K10's for small to medium gigs and a sub to add for really big ones. The thing about the K10's is that they sound quite different in different rooms, different if the room is full of noisy people, different in heavily carpeted quiet rooms... And if I have my arranger compressed and EQ'd to make them sound like my home monitors at home, I have to do a LOT of work at the gig to compensate for that EQ (and especially the compression) on the fly.

So while setting up my songbook, I turn it all off. This gives me a great baseline setting, which I can quickly and easily modify to compensate for room acoustics and crowd noise. But if the baseline sound already has EQ and compression, it's a lot harder to change to match the already EQ'd and compressed sound.

Quiet room, compress a bit, and it's usually enough. I find the 'deep mode' on the QSC's great at making the arranger sound balanced at quiet volumes (maybe add the 'vocal boost' if the room is noisy). I had another arranger that was only sounding good with the factory compression and EQ on, and it was a LOT harder to dial in changes. If it sounds good flat, all you have to do is small changes, but once it is already compressed, changing the balance is a lot harder...

More and more I am seeing arrangers that come with all that stuff on by default, and it seems the style creators have created the factory styles in that condition, which leads to unbalanced styles once you defeat it. I wish they wouldn't!

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about blowing your K10 woofers. They have built in limiters and bass management which should basically prevent this from happening. But there's a huge difference between trying to get a solid bass sound with speakers up on poles, and a subwoofer on the floor, where the coupling effect makes them very efficient at throwing low frequencies a long distance. If you are in a big room, do a lot of bass heavy dance music, it's likely the K10's bass limiter will kick in before you get loud enough.

But I've used them with a small Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO 500W 12" Powered Subwoofer and even just one of these is sufficient to balance out the K10's up to their clean operating limit. My old Mackie SWA1501 15" powered sub is a bit overkill to balance the K10's!
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
I think the best way to deal with master compression and EQ is to have them turned off when you create your programs, sets, sequences and styles, and play through a decent flat set of studio monitors that you are intimately familiar with how they sound when playing professionally mastered CD's (no mp3's!).

I have a pair of relatively inexpensive Mackie HR824 that I've had for nearly a couple of decades. I also have a pair of QSC K10's for small to medium gigs and a sub to add for really big ones. The thing about the K10's is that they sound quite different in different rooms, different if the room is full of noisy people, different in heavily carpeted quiet rooms... And if I have my arranger compressed and EQ'd to make them sound like my home monitors at home, I have to do a LOT of work at the gig to compensate for that EQ (and especially the compression) on the fly.

So while setting up my songbook, I turn it all off. This gives me a great baseline setting, which I can quickly and easily modify to compensate for room acoustics and crowd noise. But if the baseline sound already has EQ and compression, it's a lot harder to change to match the already EQ'd and compressed sound.

Quiet room, compress a bit, and it's usually enough. I find the 'deep mode' on the QSC's great at making the arranger sound balanced at quiet volumes (maybe add the 'vocal boost' if the room is noisy). I had another arranger that was only sounding good with the factory compression and EQ on, and it was a LOT harder to dial in changes. If it sounds good flat, all you have to do is small changes, but once it is already compressed, changing the balance is a lot harder...

More and more I am seeing arrangers that come with all that stuff on by default, and it seems the style creators have created the factory styles in that condition, which leads to unbalanced styles once you defeat it. I wish they wouldn't!

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about blowing your K10 woofers. They have built in limiters and bass management which should basically prevent this from happening. But there's a huge difference between trying to get a solid bass sound with speakers up on poles, and a subwoofer on the floor, where the coupling effect makes them very efficient at throwing low frequencies a long distance. If you are in a big room, do a lot of bass heavy dance music, it's likely the K10's bass limiter will kick in before you get loud enough.

But I've used them with a small Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO 500W 12" Powered Subwoofer and even just one of these is sufficient to balance out the K10's up to their clean operating limit. My old Mackie SWA1501 15" powered sub is a bit overkill to balance the K10's!

KorgHelper,
Yeah, I agree with you in the basic principle of starting as flat as possible, otherwise what's your starting point? I'd like to have a mic for calibrating the onboard speakers so I knew the setting to make the onboard speakers as flat as possible using the Master EQ.

By the way, I wasn't talking about blowing the K10s woofer, I don't think I get loud enough for that, it's the onboard speakers that are in danger with the bass eq and limiter gain over-emphasized.

I think Harry has a good idea with having different master eq and limiter settings that can be used as needed.

I know some rooms are tricky to deal with. My situation is I'm mostly playing outdoors, so having a fair amount of compression and gain from the limiter is helpful in projecting the sound. And I quite like how it makes my onboard speakers sound, along with the loudness eq curve I've set up. But I have little idea how well my current sound would translate to a recording or performing indoors.

On my wish list for a software upgrade to our boards: a multi-band compressor, or at least a 2 band compressor, so lows get processed in the Global Limiter separate from the rest of the signal.

Have to say, there's so much to tackle with this board!!! I feel like I'm probably 1/10th into what I'd like to know/be able to do, and I've had this now for a coupla months, spending some time with it every day.

A next generation feature that would put the PA series over the top would be built-in tutorials. Maybe it plays off an ipad or laptop, or on the boards screen, but there seriously needs to be more hand-holding in getting up to speed with this board and not spending endless amounts of time learning how to do what you want.

Because in addition to learning it, there's auditioning so many Styles, Sounds, Keyboard Sets, Songs, and then making favorites of those. I love it, but it's also alot of work, esp when I get confused about how to do stuff.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eq and Limiter functions is not a one size fits all.

There are multiple Presets available (6 if I remember correctly).

As you have a Preset set up for internal speakers, another for external, a third for medium sized venues etc.

It then is just a few second task to change the active Preset.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd at least miss the aftertouch if I moved from a PA1000 to Yamaha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: