Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha SX700/900/previous middle range vs Korg PA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Yamaha SX700/900/previous middle range vs Korg PA Reply with quote

I've got the PA1000, and so far have been totally blown away by the quality of the sounds, the outstanding rhythms and drum sounds, the useability of the Styles, etc. Have had a handful of different arrangers, never used the arranger function before 'cause it always sounded cheezy to me.

So, I've got to ask, is Yamaha on a par with Korg? Of course the newer SX700/900 haven't been out that long, but unless they really stepped up their game like Korg did from the PA600/900, I'd be curious to have their previous generation boards included.

I've had a dozen or more keyboards going back to the 90's, and I've never been happier with the sound quality and inspiration than my PA1000. I'm super impressed with how real most of the instruments sound, with how well done many many of the Styles are done, the absolute quality of the drum sounds and their masterful playing thru Styles, with the user friendliness of a knob to adjust the balance of ACC and Keyboard, as well as the knobs for vocal processor control, etc. I get immersed in the keyboard every time I sit and play it.

So, my question is, am I just non-experienced in the latest generations of Yamaha middle range arrangers (equivalent in price to the PA 700/1000), or has Korg hit one out of the park with the PA 700/1000. Since the sounds and Styles are essentially the same as with the PA4X, it seems likely there'd be plenty to say. It's a little sleepy at the PA 700/1000 forum, so you're likely to see more of me here.

Randy
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, Yamaha tend to be baby steps between models, but I have to admit, the SX900 (not yet convinced about the SX700) has upped its game quite a bit.

Better keyboard action (about time!), color touch screen, much more insert effects (eight independent), much more memory for samples (doubled), auxiliary outputs (which can send a subwoofer output to beef up the internals, and it high-passes the internals too!), and the brand new eight loop chord looper (first for Yamaha)...

It has some of the Revo drum sample kits, which are far punchier than the old drums were, but lacks the round robins from the Genos. I have yet to hear if they can replace legacy kits without issues, which would be important if you want to use older styles without sounding like you switched back to a PSR S950 or so. Hopefully, they can be.

All in all, I'd say the SX900 is the biggest step forward Yamaha have made for a long time. The SX700, not so much. No chord looper, which for me is a must have... But I am not as familiar with the old low end Yamaha's, so can't judge as well. A touch screen is a big step forward, though.

Yamaha have finally made a midline arranger I can't immediately dismiss, which I guess is progress! Twisted Evil
the_boss81

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague has changed from psr 775 to sx 700 - touch LCD is a difference, but after other differences he is strongly looking for... Very Happy Wink

He have a Pa700 as well - there were a major difference as he change form Pa600.

Just Korg is serious with the customers... yamaha... I never can unterstand why much people buy it ??? :/
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha SX700/900/previous middle range vs Korg PA Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
I've got the PA1000, and so far have been totally blown away by the quality of the sounds, the outstanding rhythms and drum sounds, the useability of the Styles, etc. Have had a handful of different arrangers, never used the arranger function before 'cause it always sounded cheezy to me.

So, I've got to ask, is Yamaha on a par with Korg? Of course the newer SX700/900 haven't been out that long, but unless they really stepped up their game like Korg did from the PA600/900, I'd be curious to have their previous generation boards included.

I've had a dozen or more keyboards going back to the 90's, and I've never been happier with the sound quality and inspiration than my PA1000. I'm super impressed with how real most of the instruments sound, with how well done many many of the Styles are done, the absolute quality of the drum sounds and their masterful playing thru Styles, with the user friendliness of a knob to adjust the balance of ACC and Keyboard, as well as the knobs for vocal processor control, etc. I get immersed in the keyboard every time I sit and play it.

So, my question is, am I just non-experienced in the latest generations of Yamaha middle range arrangers (equivalent in price to the PA 700/1000), or has Korg hit one out of the park with the PA 700/1000. Since the sounds and Styles are essentially the same as with the PA4X, it seems likely there'd be plenty to say. It's a little sleepy at the PA 700/1000 forum, so you're likely to see more of me here.

Randy

Good Morning Smile

I am with you on the 'being blown away' thing. That is exactly what the PA700 did, and continues to do, to me. The only other keyboard that I glow about is my old Ensoniq VFX-SD. The PA700 and VFX-SD are my 'desert island' units...

I moved up to the PA700 after using the Roland E-09 for over 12 years as my main arranger/keyboard at the nursing homes. Now I use the PA700 for everything in and out of the studio as the main unit...it even competes on the sequencer level against the VFX-SD for sequencing in my studio...

I see the PSR-SX Series a pretty big step up for Yamaha in the Mid-level entries. They are almost on par with what Korg has been doing for a while now Smile

I do find it funny that they tout the touch screen as a big advancement in arranger technology. Korg has been using touch screens since the Trinity. Pettiness aside, I see it as a pretty big advance for Yamaha's mid-line, as the touch screen does improve workflow on just about every aspect of the keyboard...

It generally takes Yamaha longer to catch up. They do offer some features not on the Korg (mainly the chord looper depth) and a few other things, but Korg seems to have excelled faster with their Mid-level units before anyone else did.

One cannot even really compare any arrangers that Roland has anymore...I used to have a BK5 from them and ended up getting rid of it. It was just too far removed from what the PA700 I own offers. I still have a Roland E-09, but it is only used at church for playing piano and EP sounds during the traditional worship service. That may be only for the fact that I am so familiar with it and it is much lighter and more portable and it boots up in 5 seconds and is ready to go...

The pricing on the Yamaha also kind of reflects Yamaha's late entry into the game with an arranger that would compete with Korg. They are, on average, about $200 USD more than the Korg offerings. This may not be a bunch of money, but it does make me pause a bit, because after adding an extended warranty and rolling case, puts it into the territory of a higher model of arranger. I have always felt like Yamaha's stuff is priced a bit too high anyway... I think that we are paying more for the name than the technology on many levels.

I did stumble upon an offering from Yamaha though that has interested me a bit. They offer an 88-key model called the P-515. It runs about $1500 USD and offers A LOT for the model. It has the Yamaha and Bosendorfer pianos, sequencing, EFX and a 30-watt sound system. It is also controllable from an iPad app (to get really deep and has a better GUI than the OLED screen)... it also features 256 note polyphony...

I may look more into this, because with it and an iPad, you could have a similar type of unit, but with an 88-key weighted action... I wish Korg would make another arranger that featured an 88-key weighted keybed. I always loved the idea of the PA588 (which was a Korg PA500 with their top of the line 88-key weighted action). The only other one they had was the Havian 30 and it was basically a PA300 with 88-keys... some of us could really use an 88-key unit.

Not that it would replace my PA700 at all, but it would offer a weighted stage piece with iPad functionality....now all I have to do is get an iPad...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy.

With your 1000 have you adjusted the Eq and Limiter?

If not, select any preset in the Eq set up page and tweak it.

The improvement in the sound quality, vibrance and clarity is amazing.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
Usually, Yamaha tend to be baby steps between models, but I have to admit, the SX900 (not yet convinced about the SX700) has upped its game quite a bit.

Better keyboard action (about time!), color touch screen, much more insert effects (eight independent), much more memory for samples (doubled), auxiliary outputs (which can send a subwoofer output to beef up the internals, and it high-passes the internals too!), and the brand new eight loop chord looper (first for Yamaha)...

It has some of the Revo drum sample kits, which are far punchier than the old drums were, but lacks the round robins from the Genos. I have yet to hear if they can replace legacy kits without issues, which would be important if you want to use older styles without sounding like you switched back to a PSR S950 or so. Hopefully, they can be.

All in all, I'd say the SX900 is the biggest step forward Yamaha have made for a long time. The SX700, not so much. No chord looper, which for me is a must have... But I am not as familiar with the old low end Yamaha's, so can't judge as well. A touch screen is a big step forward, though.

Yamaha have finally made a midline arranger I can't immediately dismiss, which I guess is progress! Twisted Evil

Hmmmm..... sounds like they've got some compelling features.

I suppose though it'd take someone who has the sx900 and has played the latest gen pa boards to really compare the boards. I had a Yamaha Motif XS7, and grew to really dis-like it Beyond the beginning level of operation,
it was very user un-friendly. Designed by engineers for engineers. I was a newbie at the time and I'd bought that board for its features, not knowing that that is just a starting point.

More sample memory, how much? Am a little surprised that with the pa1000 Korg only gives you 600MB. And that 8 chord looper functionality sounds really fantastic, though that's just basically a super simple sequencer. I'll bet Korg could do something similar with just a software update for the current gen PAs.

Wow, 8 independent FX inserts! That has to happen with the next gen of PAs.
And aux outs! I do something similar, but instead of a sub I use a full range QSC K10 and balance the volumes of the keys with the speaker. It's great that they high-passed the on-board speakers, you get more volume that way and it helps protect the speakers.

But for me the biggest improvement would be the better keybed. That's the one thing I have an issue with, I can tell everytime I play, after the first 60% or so of a key, it gets harder to press, enough so that it slows down my playing and makes it more difficult.

I've never experienced this kind of immersion with a keyboard on an on-going basis, the intangible bottom line I was wondering about was how engrossing their new board is to play. Sounds like I've got to compare the PAs to the SX900.

It's curious to see how different keyboard makers parse out their features. I applaud Korg for giving us most features, Sounds and Styles in the pa700 that the PA4X has. Less of an incentive to upgrade perhaps, but it shows they're serious about being a player. Sounds like Yamaha's approach is to withhold features that could have easily been included, like the 8 chord looper function.

Randy

Last edited by Randelph on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha SX700/900/previous middle range vs Korg PA Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
Randelph wrote:

Randy

Good Morning Smile

I am with you on the 'being blown away' thing. That is exactly what the PA700 did, and continues to do, to me. The only other keyboard that I glow about is my old Ensoniq VFX-SD. The PA700 and VFX-SD are my 'desert island' units...

I moved up to the PA700 after using the Roland E-09 for over 12 years as my main arranger/keyboard at the nursing homes. Now I use the PA700 for everything in and out of the studio as the main unit...it even competes on the sequencer level against the VFX-SD for sequencing in my studio...

I see the PSR-SX Series a pretty big step up for Yamaha in the Mid-level entries. They are almost on par with what Korg has been doing for a while now Smile

I do find it funny that they tout the touch screen as a big advancement in arranger technology. Korg has been using touch screens since the Trinity. Pettiness aside, I see it as a pretty big advance for Yamaha's mid-line, as the touch screen does improve workflow on just about every aspect of the keyboard...

It generally takes Yamaha longer to catch up. They do offer some features not on the Korg (mainly the chord looper depth) and a few other things, but Korg seems to have excelled faster with their Mid-level units before anyone else did.

One cannot even really compare any arrangers that Roland has anymore...I used to have a BK5 from them and ended up getting rid of it. It was just too far removed from what the PA700 I own offers. I still have a Roland E-09, but it is only used at church for playing piano and EP sounds during the traditional worship service. That may be only for the fact that I am so familiar with it and it is much lighter and more portable and it boots up in 5 seconds and is ready to go...

The pricing on the Yamaha also kind of reflects Yamaha's late entry into the game with an arranger that would compete with Korg. They are, on average, about $200 USD more than the Korg offerings. This may not be a bunch of money, but it does make me pause a bit, because after adding an extended warranty and rolling case, puts it into the territory of a higher model of arranger. I have always felt like Yamaha's stuff is priced a bit too high anyway... I think that we are paying more for the name than the technology on many levels.

I did stumble upon an offering from Yamaha though that has interested me a bit. They offer an 88-key model called the P-515. It runs about $1500 USD and offers A LOT for the model. It has the Yamaha and Bosendorfer pianos, sequencing, EFX and a 30-watt sound system. It is also controllable from an iPad app (to get really deep and has a better GUI than the OLED screen)... it also features 256 note polyphony...

I may look more into this, because with it and an iPad, you could have a similar type of unit, but with an 88-key weighted action... I wish Korg would make another arranger that featured an 88-key weighted keybed. I always loved the idea of the PA588 (which was a Korg PA500 with their top of the line 88-key weighted action). The only other one they had was the Havian 30 and it was basically a PA300 with 88-keys... some of us could really use an 88-key unit.

Not that it would replace my PA700 at all, but it would offer a weighted stage piece with iPad functionality....now all I have to do is get an iPad...

Grace,
Harry

Good to hear that Yamaha in general has been lagging Korg in their mid-range offering. It's pretty sweet that with Korg that you get most of the functionality and sounds of the pa4x in the pa700.

Yes the P-515 yamaha is pretty sweet! I've been hanging out at the Keyboard Player forum for years, lots of knowledeable folks! And there's been alot of love for the p-515 over there. Some people like it even better than the CP-4 for the action. And with 40 watts of speaker power, that would make me happy.

The downsides though are that it's about twice the weight of the pa700, 48.5 pounds. I've got the Nord Stage Classic 88, and at 40 pounds, no bag, it's the upper limit of what i'm willing to schlep up and down stairs at my house. And, it has no pitch bend or mod wheels. And it's basically a piano-first design, only 40 main sounds, XG after that.

But that piano centric approach is what appeals to many people, as a result you get the best piano action and sounds of just about anything at that price point.

Yes I agree, it'd be awesome if someone made a mid-range arranger with weighted keys! But at the least, make the pa1000 with 76 semi-weighted keys!

Randy

PS Did you ever manage to get an osscilator synched sound out of your 700?

Last edited by Randelph on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
Randy.

With your 1000 have you adjusted the Eq and Limiter?

If not, select any preset in the Eq set up page and tweak it.

The improvement in the sound quality, vibrance and clarity is amazing.

In an effort to boost the overall volume, I did go into the limiter settings and tweaked the ratio and threshold so I could boost the volume. But I haven't tried the eq settings yet. Are there particular settings for eq that you like?
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy

This forum is rubbish at displaying images.

If you head over to keyboardforums.com and join it I will post images of the Eq settings that I use there.

My nickname is the same there as it is here.

Just look in the Korg section.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Biggles,
Hmmm.... That's likely to spice things up! So basically a loudness curve to boost the lows and highs.

I'm reluctant to boost the lows too much, 6 db at 90hz is a fair amount. Too much bass and volume is usually what blows speakers. When I'm playing with others I've got the volume knob all the way up, and am not close to having my Keyboard Sets volume equalized. And once the jam gets louder, I'm turning up my QSC K10 past the point where its balanced in volume with the pa1000. Which means I'm unlikely to hear it if there's noticeable distortion from the onboard speakers. Keep in mind these jams are outdoor, and without walls to reenforce the volume, I have to turn it up pretty high.

What Limiter settings do you use? Mine is a work in progress, but basically I set the threshold low enough to easily trigger, like -30, the ratio at 8 to 1, and the gain adjust to +8. With the meters I can see that if I'm playing loudly, that I'm getting some gain reduction happening, which is what I calibrated for, knowing the limiter is doing its job. And at +8 db gain adjust, Im not overloading the output meters, which you can do easily by increasing the gain adjust. When you do overload the output meters, you can hear digital distortion.

I do a fair amount of left hand bass whomping, esp if there's no bass player, and for that reason am glad to have the qsc k10 to give additional heft and volume to the sound.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy

Look at this thread and Musicwithharry’s excellent write up about the settings.

It is described far better than I can.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=119098
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha SX700/900/previous middle range vs Korg PA Reply with quote

[/quote]
PS Did you ever manage to get an osscilator synched sound out of your 700?[/quote]

Randy -

Not yet. Biggles talked with Korg during a webinar last week and they should be working on something Smile

I am actually going to employ my M50 as there are a couple of Sync type sounds that I can use in the interim. In the band, I will be bringing at least 2-4 boards with me for performances. Good thing they are all light - unless I get the Yamaha P-515 as well in the future Smile

I am also planning on getting more synths in the next 3-6 months and one of them is the Behringer Deepmin-12. I know that it can do Osc sync Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
@ Biggles,
Hmmm.... That's likely to spice things up! So basically a loudness curve to boost the lows and highs.

I'm reluctant to boost the lows too much, 6 db at 90hz is a fair amount. Too much bass and volume is usually what blows speakers. When I'm playing with others I've got the volume knob all the way up, and am not close to having my Keyboard Sets volume equalized. And once the jam gets louder, I'm turning up my QSC K10 past the point where its balanced in volume with the pa1000. Which means I'm unlikely to hear it if there's noticeable distortion from the onboard speakers. Keep in mind these jams are outdoor, and without walls to reenforce the volume, I have to turn it up pretty high.

What Limiter settings do you use? Mine is a work in progress, but basically I set the threshold low enough to easily trigger, like -30, the ratio at 8 to 1, and the gain adjust to +8. With the meters I can see that if I'm playing loudly, that I'm getting some gain reduction happening, which is what I calibrated for, knowing the limiter is doing its job. And at +8 db gain adjust, Im not overloading the output meters, which you can do easily by increasing the gain adjust. When you do overload the output meters, you can hear digital distortion.

I do a fair amount of left hand bass whomping, esp if there's no bass player, and for that reason am glad to have the qsc k10 to give additional heft and volume to the sound.

I would be careful about boosting the lows anything above +3db. It also depends on whether or not you are using the internal speakers or going out to an external system. While the speaker systems on the PA series are pretty robust, you certainly can flex them a bit more than normal.

With the Limiter, if you add too much bass and have aggressive Limiter settings, your sound will be mushy...it will not sound good at all. The more bass you add, the more the Limiter will limit. If you have pretty aggressive Limiter settings you will not blow you speakers...you sound will turn to mush. It will breathe and pump like the dbx compression would do when set to higher levels...

It also depends on the type of bass sounds you are using. The acoustic basses are pretty robust. There is also a bass sound on Page 3 of the PA700 (I will have to turn mine on to get the name), but it is nice and full right out of the gate and I actually have to turn it down a bit so it does not overpower the other tracks.

I find that my EQ settings, in normal 'nursing home' mode are set to 0db, as the bass ports seem to give just the right amount of bass.

If I am using the sequencer, I switch my Limiter to my Sequencer Mode setting and it allows for more of the signal to pass through. I, in effect, reclaim the drums in this mode so they are not as muddy.

For smaller rooms where I am playing at lower volumes, I do have an EQ setting that boosts the low end, at around 90-100Hz, up +3 db. It kind of gives a Loudness contour, but not as extreme in the high end as the Loudness setting in my PA700. I also boost the high-mids a bit for more definition.

When I am in the studio or playing through an external PA, I also have a setting that boosts the output by about +5db but does not limit that much. The trick is for me to remember to select that Limiter setting before I start playing Smile I get so used to playing with the internal speakers that I sometimes forget to switch to the PA system Limiter settings...I end up remembering when I start playing a sequence instead of a style.

I can take a screen shot of my settings and e-mail them to you if you like; send me a PM with your e-mail and I can accommodate.

Those bass ports on our PA keyboards really do work. Try playing a style and cover them up with your hands as it is playing. You will hear a marked difference in the sound. Out of the 40-50 homes that I do a month, about 10% require an external PA system. One place in particular has me performing in their chapel, and when I set up the PA700 before the performance, I play a style and listen. It sounds so big and full coming from the internal speakers. The keyboard sounds much bigger than it is, especially in the low end. Korg did a good job with the speaker systems in both the PA700 and PA1000.

I will be in my studio most of the day today working on music and other things. My availability will be pretty high and my responses will be much faster. I am also on Facebook. Maybe we can connect there and talk through their chat system for immediate responses if you like. PM me for the details Smile

Grace,
Harry
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the Eq settings that I use

I should have added that I do not use the internal speakers.

Headphones or a pair of Behringer PA’s fed via my mixer which also has my Kross 2 connected to it.

The Eq settings that I posted are the ones for the above setup.

That is the beauty of multiple presets, each can be setup to suit different environments
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
Further to the Eq settings that I use

I should have added that I do not use the internal speakers.

Headphones or a pair of Behringer PA’s fed via my mixer which also has my Kross 2 connected to it.

The Eq settings that I posted are the ones for the above setup.

That is the beauty of multiple presets, each can be setup to suit different environments

Indeed Smile

That is another reason why I love the flexibility of the Korg PA series. The addition of more MIDI setups in the latest OS version update makes MIDI settings easier as well. The only problem is remembering to activate the desired setting with each song or situation.

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: