Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microkorg S - Record Vocoder in Cubase 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netronelson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Microkorg S - Record Vocoder in Cubase 10 Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently got a MicroKORG S to try and record some robot voices for a video game i'm working on, and after trying all the cables in various orders (and buying an Audio Interface) I now have the Microkorg going into the iMac (via the AI MIDI IN & OUT) and, can record, and play-back from Cubase and hear the sound coming back out of the Korg.

However, if I switch to the Vocoder on the korg, and record (while talking into the mic), then the playback doesn't capture the vocal.

Can anyone point me to where i'm going wrong?

-

I've tried using a jack cable out of the headphones / monitor outs IN to the front of the (Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD) - while the MIDI IN & OUT are also connected - but no joy.

Is there something else I need? wiring / hardware / other?

Many Thanks,

Nelson.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What happens on your speakers of your iMac if you just play a non-vocoder program on the Korg? You should be able to hear the sound there as well.

Most likely you record only the MIDI data in Cubase and play that back towards the Korg afterwhile. That sounds exactly the same. However MIDI only carries note information, like which key is pressed, which key is released. It does NOT carry the audio data that you feed into the mic.

So to record your vocoder performance, you need headphones or line out of the mK into the audio interface line in and you need to record the audio in Cubase by selecting the audio line in of the audio interface. When playing back, you just play back an audio sample and do not need the mK at that moment anymore.

Have fun.
netronelson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, amazing! Thanks so much...

I just spent the last 5 hours trying to figure out which bit of the puzzle was missing, and this was the clue:

'by selecting the audio line in of the audio interface.'

-

Cubase had been set to use the internal mac microphone (but wouldn't recognise the AI device) - selecting it as the sound card meant I could use the headphones OUT on the AI and hear the click-track (at last!), and finally, putting headphones in the mK meant it wasn't picked up elsewhere too. There are cables everywhere now, but...

At last, I have a track of a robot voice!

Now, I can enjoy fiddling with all the knobs and getting the sound right.

Cheers!

Nelson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: