Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound effects vs Master effects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Sound effects vs Master effects Reply with quote

Hello forum,

I got another newbie question: say if I have a customized sound with some effects, when I use this sound in "Style" play, (every style has Master effects which can be different from the customized sound effects), don't the Master effects overwrite the customized sound effects? Then, what's the good about customize the sound in the first place? Thank you for your input and expertise.

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound effects vs Master effects Reply with quote

Dawnbell wrote:
.. I have a customized sound with some effects, when I use this sound in "Style" play, (every style has Master effects which can be different from the customized sound effects), don't the Master effects overwrite the customized sound effects? ...

Realtime-Tracks (Keyboard sounds) and Background-Tracks (Accompaniment, DrumFamilies, MidiSong) use its separated Insert und Master FX. FX-settings are memorized separately for each styleperformance and for each kbd-set.

Each track has its own equalizer for customizing each tracks instrument separately. That allows to just turn up or turn down individual frequencies of individual instruments of a tracks sound.

That equalizers are situated in audio-path before fx-processor, where the tracks sounds are processed with effects if one assigns them with fx-send or insert-fx.

But no fx-master effect of style tracks will overwrite a customized effect of your kbd-sounds, because of separate audio-path and separate fx-processor of realtime-/background-tracks.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with the PA700, if you created a sound in Sound Mode and added custom effects, then when you are in a style, select the custom sound. The settings and EFX for that sound should come over into the style.

In a Style, the Master EFX A is for the arranger sounds (i.e., the backing tracks). The Master EFX B should be reserved for the Upper 1/2/3/Lower stuff.

I have loaded in custom sounds into Upper 1 and the EFX I had used for that sound in Sound Mode normally transfers over to the style and will occupy the Master EFX B.

Is that not happening in your case?

I would have to get out my keyboard and check for sure, but I even think that the Insert Effect for your Upper 1/2/3/Lower should come over too. If not, then you would have to add that into the slot for the sound you want it in while it is in style mode. Then save it and you will be fine.

If you are unsure of all of the settings in your effect, you can copy the effect and then past it. Make sure you save the EFX B 1&2 individually so that you do not lose them when switching between the Sound Mode and Style Mode.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: FX-settings (realtime-tracks, background-tracks) Reply with quote

Maximum of effects you can use a time are four for bg-track and three for rt-tracks. That is the restriction of Fx-processors available for Pa1000, regardless of how many user sounds with different types of effects are used and are edited in sound-editor:
Accompaniment/Song: 2 insert effects; 2 master effects (148 types)
Keyboard Sounds: 1 insert effect; 2 master effects (148 types)

Example: Using a sound for Upper1 edited with master effects "Reverb Room" and "Stereo Chorus" and using a sound for Upper2 with insert effect "Stereo Isolator", does not alloow to use any more effects for Upper3 (excepted "Reverb Room" and "Stereo Chorus" or "Stereo Isolator"). In this case you also master effects "Reverb Hall" and "Classic Chorus" can not use with Upper2. That is because master FXs for rt-tracks are already occupied of Upper1, so that only the same effect types can be used for Upper2.

The assignment of effects with the sound editor should be regarded as a feature for editing a sound, to which you assign a suitable effect by default. This effects are used prior for Upper1, however, effects are assigned to tracks of groups.

Maximum of available fx-effect types (realtime 3, background 4) cannot be exceeded, no matter how many different effects the Sounds used was created before with the sound editor.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should have made my explanation of the EFX a bit more clear, and siebenhirter has done a great job in explaining them.

I think that I posted about the EFX section on the PA700 in another thread, but I cannot remember exactly which one and when I posted it (at least without researching what I have posted in the fairly recent past about it).

If your custom sound has custom Master EFX settings (since sounds in sound mode can only use one master EFX block and one insert EFX, then you will be able to recreate the EFX that you are using for that sound in a keyboard set. Keep in mind that the Insert Effect will apply to only ONE sound in your keyboard set. The Master EFX B will apply to all of the sounds (if you want it to) in the Upper 1/2/3/Lower.

So, if you are using Reverb and Chorus in EFX Block B for your two effects, then you will be able to adjust the amount of each effect for the Upper 1/2/3/Lower tracks (real-time performance tracks that you would normally be playing over the backing tracks of the style).

What I would do is load your custom sound into Upper 1. When you do that, it should bring over the EFX you used on that sound, into the EFX block for Master EFX B. At least it does for me...it actually surprised me when it did, because I thought that I would have to customize the EFX for any custom sounds that I have made when I use them in a style. I think that it only does it in Upper 1 and it will effect the Upper 2/3/Lower with the effect you bring in with the sound located in Upper 1.

Let's say that your custom sound is a distorted lead guitar with the distortion circuit being an Insert effect. Put your custom sound in Upper 1. You may have to redo the Insert effect again, and this is where you can Copy/Paste that effect from the custom sound in Sound Mode to the sound in Style mode.

That Insert effect can only be used on one sound in your keyboard set.

On the PA700, you have two Master EFX sections (Master EFX A and Master EFX B). You also have 3 insert EFX; 2 for Master EFX A and one for Master EFX B.

In Style Mode, the backing tracks are always going to use Master EFX A (which has two effects available). It also allows for the use of 2 Insert EFX on any of the backing tracks.

For the keyboard sets, i.e. the sounds that you would be playing in real time, they normally route to Master EFX block B. Master EFX block B has two effects in it as well. There is also one Insert effect available for any one of the sounds in the Upper 1/2/3/Lower.

In Sequencer Mode, you have two Master EFX blocks (A and B) and you also have 3 Insert effects available for each sequence. Since the sequencer operates a bit differently than the Style Mode, you have more choices for which three tracks get an Insert Effect. With that said, you are still limited to two insert efx for master efx A and one insert effect for master efx b.

In Sound Mode, you have one Master EFX block and one Insert effect for each sound.

So, going back to your initial query, you should put your custom sound in the Upper 1 location and see what happens. You will either have to program the EFX again as they appear in the sound in Sound Mode, or you won't. I do not believe that you will, based on my own experience with the PA700.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Sound effect / Master effect Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
.. You will either have to program the EFX again as they appear in the sound in Sound Mode, or ..

If once each sound (also factory sounds) are featured with suitable effects by default maybe good customizing a the sound initially, but is not recommend to edit effects for a sound separately for each application in soundeditor!

If using a sound in different situations with other effect settings it seems to be better to handle effects will be a little bit easier with change of effects within groups or tracks.
Master effects (FX 1, FX 2) are selected, assigned and turned on/off to all sounds of a group (FX A / FX B; bgr-tracks, rt-tracks) in Master effect page.
Its send levels and direct / dry settings of each track are adjusted in Mixer tuning.
While in FX-page (A, B) it possible to edit effect parameters for that groups/tracks, but is not necessary to change effect settings of sound directly in soundeditor.
Insert effects (IFX, DF) are assigned and turned on/off in Insert FX page, as well as selecting FX, editing its parameters and adjusting wet/dry mix of insert effects.
PS: not to forget to write (save) effect settings in corresponding mode (styleperformance, kbdset, song) if settings should not be only temporary

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound effect / Master effect Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:
.. You will either have to program the EFX again as they appear in the sound in Sound Mode, or ..

If once each sound (also factory sounds) are featured with suitable effects by default, I do not recommend to edit effects for a sound separately for each application in soundeditor.
If using a sound in different situations with other effect settings it seems to be better to handle effects will be a little bit easier with change of effects within groups or tracks.
Master effects (FX 1, FX 2) are selected, assigned and turned on/off to all sounds of a group (FX A / FX B; bgr-tracks, rt-tracks) in Master effect page.
Its send levels and direct / dry settings of each track are adjusted in Mixer tuning.
While in FX-page (A, B) it possible to edit effect parameters for that groups/tracks, but is not necessary to change effect settings of sound directly in soundeditor.
Insert effects (IFX, DF) are assigned and turned on/off in Insert FX page, as well as selecting FX, editing its parameters and adjusting wet/dry mix of insert effects.
PS: not to forget to write (save) effect settings in corresponding mode (styleperformance, kbdset, song) if settings should not be only temporary

The reason I wrote about adjusting the EFX is because Dawnbell may have custom effects that make the custom sound stand out. I do this all the time with the Reverb EFX - they are never 'wet' enough for me. So I adjust them every time.

With my custom sounds in Sound Mode, the Reverbs are adjusted to make a bigger sound stage (or reverberation room). For my custom Distorted Lead Guitar sound, I use a big Reverb, then use the Chorus/Delay multi-effect and then add a distortion as an insert.

I cannot get the sound I want from the already available stock stuff, so I make my own Smile

I totally agree with your advice on Saving everything Smile

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: