Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distorted sound and mic input problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amer123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Distorted sound and mic input problem Reply with quote

A few months ago my mic input started making a loud static noise (it might have happened after the keyboard fell onto a carpet) and ever since then I haven't used the microphone. I have to press the mic button on the keyboard to mute the mic. It didn't really bother me as I didn't really use the mic that much.

Now I have another problem. When I start playing on the keys, I get a distortion sound. The sound get louder when I use my sampled sounds, but it is always there, whether stock sounds or sampled sounds. I har the static on the speakers and headphones.

I did have a similar problem a few years ago and I changed the ram and it worked, but now I have the issue again. But I am not sure if it is the ram now or maybe it is the sound output card because the mic doesn't work. My sampled sounds still play properly, but there is distortion in the background.

Any idea of how I can diagnose this?

Thanks!
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you record the output and upload it for us to hear ?
If it is digital distortion then the CPU board has failed (As you have it in rom sounds too) , if it is analog distortion it could be anything (from a cable connection to cpu board but most probably either cable or the output board)

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
amer123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here are 3 recordings using the built in mp3 recorder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aApI-7F3VGV0Kt5CefRXnc2XbF2-XjX1?usp=sharing

One is the mic distortion (without a mic plugged in).

One is a stock sound.

And one is a sampled sound.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Thanks![/url]
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what i m hearing is digital noise not analog.
It seems to be the effects section that is misbehaving..
Can you turn off all effects and check if the distortion still exists in the sounds?
(i don't know if the microphone is getting sampled in effects ram before being put out to the speakers again so we ll look at the mic symptom later on)..
Also to save time you can enter the test mode and see if it diagnoses any failure..
If you don't know how to do this sent me a pm to help.

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
amer123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I made 3 new recordings with the effects off.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m8pDd212IOMKG0VHNBBXbXv2OKXNW2ot?usp=sharing

1. Stock sound: Distortion still there (It could be there were still effects in use, I'm not sure.)
2. Sampled sound: There was no more distortion when I turned off the effects. At the end of this recording I turned the effects back on to hear the difference.
3. Microphone: Distortion remained.

If the issue is the effects, what part will I need to replace, and how much should it cost me?

Also, I sent you a PM about the test mode.

Thanks for your help!
amer123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find anything wrong visually. All connectors are connected properly and there don't seem to be any burnt components. Anything else I should check while I have it open?

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bu9djE4kj-0sruxL33nqoBGdmldtBgJ8/view?usp=drivesdk[/img]
neverkorgagain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably motherboard or ram memory failure..... well known problem with this model.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: