Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CX-3 tweaking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: CX-3 tweaking Reply with quote

The free programs in the KRS-06 and KRS-06B libs were just what I needed to get going. Working on a song tonight and Deep Red+Blue was the sound I was going for, with one exception. It defaults to a fast rotation and I wanted to save it as defaulting to slow.

I've been going through the manual and parameter guide as well as the on screen stuff and am having difficulty finding what to tweak. The effect I want to turn off is controlled by SW-1. However, with this being used in a combi, I don't want SW-1 on or it alters all the other sounds.

I'm also not sure what I'm getting in terms of sound as there seems to be two sources of modulation / vibrato. SW-1 is set to toggle CC80. With it off, I get a two speeds, one at sixteenth notes and one at eighth notes, so to speak. I'm guessing this is an emulation of the Leslie horn and speaker. With SW-1 on, the sixteenth rotation goes away and I get only the eight note speed.

I've played various settings in all the obvious places, e.g. the Leslie section, the SW settings, etc. and I can't figure out how to do what I thought would be a simple tweak.

I'm guessing that with SW-1 / CC80 turned on, it turns off the horn rotation, but that's just a guess and I can't find anything that lines up with that idea.

Would be grateful for any insights if someone could point me in the right direction. This is some seriously cool stuff, and the CX-3 sounds great.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On many factory CX-3 programs, SW1 is not for the Leslie but instead for the Hammond console chorus/vibrato (C/V). Often, Leslie speed is instead toggled with the joystick on +Y. So what you turn off/on with SW1 is the C/V. To change the default setting or control source, go to the corresponding section.

In case you never played the real thing, the Hammond C/V is done by an electric signal created in the console to modulate the sine waves coming out of the tone generator before they are amplified. Six settings are available on a Hammond besides off. Then as you know you have the Leslie amplifier, which uses mechanical rotors to add a Doppler-like modulation after the sines are amplified. Only two settings are possible here, slow/chorale and fast/tremolo besides off.

A big difference between both modulations is that the C/V changes instantly, whereas the Leslie speed takes a while to accelerate/decelerate.

Owned a Hammond C3 and Leslie 147 some decades ago and since I have my Kronos I don't miss them at all. The K2 weights 550 lbs less than them combined and I don't need to add oil to the CX-3 engine. Speak to the hand
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add that toggling leslie with a footswitch rather than Joystick +y is very convenient and let the left hand free.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once owned an A3 that had been chopped down into a square tubed metal framework. Because clearly they didn't think a regular Hammond weighed enough. Had a Leslie as well. However, that was the mid 70s, and I've slept since then.

KK, thanks very much for the the heads up on the chorus/vibrato. I had completely forgotten about that and is doubtless what I'm looking to disable. As I looked at all the parameters I probably read C/V as Control Voltage and went right past it.

And Liviou2004, I keep meaning to connect another footswitch, this just gives me one more reason, thanks.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, had a chance to bring up the patch again and once I knew what I was looking for it was right in front of me. Unchecked the v/c box and saved it, got the non-vibrato sound I was looking for, but the SW-1 still toggles it when I want it on.

Thanks, KK!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
Okay, had a chance to bring up the patch again and once I knew what I was looking for it was right in front of me. Unchecked the v/c box and saved it, got the non-vibrato sound I was looking for, but the SW-1 still toggles it when I want it on.

Thanks, KK!

You're welcome. Glad it works ! Angel
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved the sound of the accelerating/decelerating Leslie, and have used a few methods to control that over the years with different keyboards.

In my case, both hands are usually busy so I can't hit the joystick often enough to get the effect I like. Usually I reprogram the rotor speed switch using AMS to have it respond to either footswitch/damper pedal press and/or channel after-touch. A footswitch press seems most natural to me, but if both feet are busy or you need the footswitch to do something else, you can lean into the keyboard to change the Leslie speed via after-touch.

I also have some organ patches set up with a slow-running LFO to change the rotor speed, so it is always speeding up or slowing down. But that doesn't always get the effect the way you want it, based on what you happen to be playing. Manual control of some kind is always more expressive.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
you can lean into the keyboard to change the Leslie speed via after-touch.

Now that's a cool idea.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
Xenophile wrote:
you can lean into the keyboard to change the Leslie speed via after-touch.

Now that's a cool idea.

Kurzweil called it "Presslie"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: