Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between J. Rudess and unmodified Yamaha piano?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Difference between J. Rudess and unmodified Yamaha piano? Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been talked about a million times but the search page just sat there spinning so apologies for the redundant question.

My ears aren't as attuned to piano as they are guitar and while I can hear some differences, I was wondering what the benefits are to the Rudess version of the Yamaha.

He obviously created his own version for a reason, presumably to overcome what he felt were shortcomings in the stock Yamaha, so I was hoping the more adept among you could highlight where it shines and why.

I come from a classic rock background and I know the Yamaha is a favorite in that context. It certainly cuts through the mix more than the German / Steinway, although for just playing piano without the rest of a band I do prefer the latter.

Just trying to get a feel for where the Rudess version fits into the scheme of things.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Chris, good question.

To clarify you are comparing the Rudess Japanese Grand [ Yamaha] factory program to ......... ?

-Other Kronos Japanese grand [ Yamaha ] factory programs ?

-The German Grand factory program ?

- my uncle's out of tune Yamaha U3 ?

You know, need more details Wink
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you see your uncle tell him he still owes me twenty bucks. Smile

Yeah, I guess I didn't specify. I meant the factory stock Rudess Yamaha in comparison to the Kronos factory Yamaha.

I know there are dark / light / etc. versions of the Yamaha but I seem to recall that there's also just a plain Jane Yamaha stock preset as well, so that's the baseline apple I'd like to compare Rudess' stock Kronos apple to. You know, if you're into comparative analysis of fruits.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle said he the lawn was supposed to be cut nicer, or something to that effect. I shouldn't get involved Wink

Some of the diffs on the Japanese grands can be seen on the Common tab and the EQ tab.

In terms of my ears, I hear a slight diff between the Japanese rock grand and the Rudess. Some piano people here can expound further.

You play guitar , I think. For example, I hear a significant diff between a Les Paul vs an Es 335. Using the same amp/settings.
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudess piano is bright with a hard attack needed to cut thru the rest of the band. Petrucci describes his current guitar tone like chocolate cake, thick & rich. Mmm cake.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

To compare what is going on, stay within the same program, turn off all effects, place EQ at 0 everywhere and then switch between the piano types. The Rudess Japanese piano types - not programs - are simply about midway in terms of brightness between the Japanese standard types and the Japanese bright types and with a longer release time.

These types are simply a bit different and I have no clue if he participated or not in their programming. The other Japanese piano types are just fine as well, it simply depends what one prefers in a given context. The longer release time can be compared as if one keeps the damper pedal slightly depressed or as if the piano dampers are worn, which actually can create clarity problems in certain contexts. It can also help hiding uneven legato playing in fast passages. Wink
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
My uncle said he the lawn was supposed to be cut nicer, or something to that effect. I shouldn't get involved Wink

Laughing
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Rudess piano is bright with a hard attack needed to cut thru the rest of the band. Petrucci describes his current guitar tone like chocolate cake, thick & rich. Mmm cake.

That makes sense, and seems to be why the Yamaha is popular in a rock context.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi Chris,

To compare what is going on, stay within the same program, turn off all effects, place EQ at 0 everywhere and then switch between the piano types. The Rudess Japanese piano types - not programs - are simply about midway in terms of brightness between the Japanese standard types and the Japanese bright types and with a longer release time.

That helps a lot, thanks.

KK wrote:

It can also help hiding uneven legato playing in fast passages. Wink

Ah, so you've heard my playing, then. Smile

I keep the Kronos upstairs in the living room rather than down in the studio so I can leave it on. That way when I walk past it, I sit down and play a little (still trying to get some chops). Up until recently it's mostly been piano and I've really grown to love the sound of the German grand, which I now know is a Steinway.

Recently I put it on a small Argosy desk so I could slide a laptop behind it, jack it into the network, and be able to bring up all the Cubase projects from the studio to start playing along with the rest of the song. Consequently, I'm now trying to find the best piano sounds for the given song, hence the exploration of the Yamahas.

The Yamaha certainly cuts through the mix better then the Steinway, but after playing the latter for so long my ears have become used to it, and the Japanese ones sound very thin and shallow to me.

Obviously the problem is my ears since the Yamahas are much loved in the rock world. Still, it's a weird tradeoff to lose some of that fullness in exchange for a little bite.

Do any of you guys play and / or record in a rock or rhythm & blues context? What pianos work the best for you for that scenario?
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
[quo

Do any of you guys play and / or record in a rock or rhythm & blues context? What pianos work the best for you for that scenario?

I have recorded a few rock type instrumentals.

" Sahara" is an example where piano makes an appearance. at 2:05, I trade ' 8's ' with guitar.
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/sahara
at 4:50, there is more riffing until the end

"Desert Heat " has a brief piano solo at 2:50
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/desert-heatwav

I might have a few more rock examples but I would have to dig further into my 60 originals.

I recall I mostly use the Japanese grand for the above. I add FX to help the
piano in the mix.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I have recorded a few rock type instrumentals.

It certainly comes through in the mix.

In my case I don't play solos but rather use keys for rhythm or supplemental backing parts. I'm starting to write more on keyboards, so lots of chords and such.

What I've been doing is along the lines of classic rock / horn bands sort of thing, often with minimal, if any, guitar. However, there's still B3, horns and the rhythm section that the piano has to compete with. Of course, I can carve out frequencies when mixing but selecting the right tones in the beginning avoids a lot of that work and often sounds more natural.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
KK wrote:

It can also help hiding uneven legato playing in fast passages. Wink

Ah, so you've heard my playing, then. Smile

Actually, I was more thinking about the reason why he (JR) liked these particular settings. Laughing

ChrisDuncan wrote:
The Yamaha certainly cuts through the mix better then the Steinway, but after playing the latter for so long my ears have become used to it, and the Japanese ones sound very thin and shallow to me.

Obviously the problem is my ears since the Yamahas are much loved in the rock world.

Actually, I totally agree with you about the Kronos German grand sounding superior to the Kronos Japanese grand, so I instead think your ears are just fine. Cool

As a side note, acoustic Yamaha grands are indeed liked and can sound just as good as other brands but of course with their particular character. Though I remember playing on a concert Yamaha which had a wonderful mellow sound, so there are exception instruments in every brand.

In a loud band context, I would now prefer the Kronos Italian (Fazioli). IMHO it is the closest cousin of the Kronos Japanese (Yamaha) but without the thin/shallow aspect you mention. It's easy to control and more expressive in comparison with the global velocity curve set at 4. Since I added it on my K2, after a few months I've decided to not use the Yamaha anymore. So not loading it clears RAM, which is now used by the new one. The Fazioli sounds fine to me in loud contexts or even for solo performance when I need a clearer but still full piano sound. I think it even has a tiny CP80 flavor to it when played at loud velocities in the two octaves below middle C, which I don't dislike. Cool YMMV. I still have to experiment with it, as I didn't practice on it as much compared to the Bechstein and Steinway. They are now the three main pianos on my K2.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

As a side note, acoustic Yamaha grands are indeed liked and can sound just as good as other brands but of course with their particular character. Though I remember playing on a concert Yamaha which had a wonderful mellow sound, so there are exception instruments in every brand.

From looking at the programs, I got the impression that the Yamahas are C, i.e. "baby grand" versus the full D grand. If I got that right. I'ms still learning about this stuff.

If the Yamahas are indeed the smaller version, that might be one reason that there's such a distinct difference in tone between that and the Steinberg D.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
From looking at the programs, I got the impression that the Yamahas are C, i.e. "baby grand" versus the full D grand. If I got that right.

That's exactly right. Cool Also, maybe another aspect is that Korg did a better job at sampling/reproducing the German/Steinway compared to the Japanese/Yamaha. It's extremely difficult even for experienced professionals to record/sample acoustic pianos with excellent results.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ChrisDuncan"]
GregC wrote:

In my case I don't play solos but rather use keys for rhythm or supplemental backing parts. I'm starting to write more on keyboards, so lots of chords and such.

What I've been doing is along the lines of classic rock / horn bands sort of thing, often with minimal, if any, guitar. However, there's still B3, horns and the rhythm section that the piano has to compete with. Of course, I can carve out frequencies when mixing but selecting the right tones in the beginning avoids a lot of that work and often sounds more natural.

https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/caffeine-achiever
Go to 1:30. and later at 4:10

we are possibly thinking very different examples of music type. But I made acoustic piano work with horn sections in my Caffeine Achiever above.

You can do a lot with standard factory programs in Kronos. I am not convinced you need specialized 3rd party samples for most instruments.

it gets tricky with selecting correct FX and careful mixing. I can spend 2 days getting a song from rough draft to final mix. FX and patient mixing can make a good song shine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: