Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Library of Keyboard Sets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Library of Keyboard Sets? Reply with quote

Been looking high and low for this- how can I grab a Keyboard set from a Style or a Song, and apply those 3 Upper Voices to a different Style or Song?

All I've seen so far is you can change each of the 4 existing Keyboard Sets associated with a Style, one sound at a time, but isn't there a library of Keyboard Sets to just grab all 4 sounds (Upper 1-3 and Lower)?
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songbook Editor is your friend on this one, I will explain further in a sec.

There is a library of keyboard sets that you will find in the Appendix section of the manual, not that it will probably help you much but it is there.

As per another thread if I can explain what I do then others can add their own take then maybe we all can gain a better understanding of how our PAs function.

So I have a keyboard set where I like Up1 but not Up2, Up3 and Low.
Tap on Up2 and change it to what I want to use
Repeat for Up3 and Low.
Now I have a Keyboard set that I like
I now save it to a User bank
Press and hold the My Setting button, and save

If you have not worked along with the above on your PA if you do so then, select any Style in any category, note the voices in the right of the screen.

Now tap the My Setting button and all the sounds will change to your saved Keyboard Set.

You can make a batch of personalised Keyboard Sets with each saved to a User bank location then use Songbook Editor to apply your custom KbSets to your Songs.

Tip
Create use and save your Songs to a Direct folder on your USB drive then your have a mobile system where you can plug in on any PA keyboard and you will have it set up as you want (except global Eq & Lt) once you load your Songbook.

I think I may have written this before but I will repeat, Korg UK is brilliant, we have our own PA Magazine and Korg UK have live Webinars where Staffers and Guests display the functions and features in great detail. The Korg PA Magazine is going digital and from the next issue it will be available to subscribers foc. Visit korgworld dot co dot uk and sign up.

At the above website you will see a large link to the Webinars which will tale you to crowdcast, there you will find the past webinars which are available to view and these are well worth working through.

The last one had CJ explaining how he uses his PA which is quite different to most, CJ is responsible for a fair amount of the Osimo content, I cannot recommend highly enough that you watch this one, it will probably answer a lot of questions you may have.

There is another live Q&A session with Korg Staffers Adam and Luke on Wednesday the 25 Sept at 17:00 BST (British Summer Time) which will be available to view online live and offline shortly after it ends.

Hope this helps.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles pretty much nailed this one Smile Good explanation, sir Smile

I basically change my keyboard sets to what I like and then save those sets in my User section. When I first got my PA700, I would find a style that I wanted to use but use my own custom keyboard set. I would load up the style, select my custom user set(s) and save them in one of the 4 available STS locations and then save that style in a User location.

I ended up changing the keyboard sets to EVERY style I play, because I like my version of the sounds in the keyboard sets better than what was available in the factory offering. Additionally, I also program sounds and so I wanted to point to my new sounds in the keyboard sets. I also point to the Yamaha C5 piano sample pack I have (contained in this forum from Reuben) instead of the stock piano sounds. It may be a bit different on the PA1000, as you may have better stock pianos than the PA700 does.

Since so much of what I do with my PA700 is at nursing homes, I have about 10-12 different sets that are set up according to what I need and they are saved in my User banks. The same with styles; I would change the name of the style to the song(s) that was using them for and then outfit the style with my 4 keyboard sets and the Pad sounds...I save those styles in my user banks. I can get up to 4 songs (sometimes more if I talk between the songs) in one style. Each STS setting could be a different song, so I can play a medley of tunes in the same style. It works well at the homes.

For my original music, I also created custom keyboard sets that I can use, but I generally do not use styles when I am doing my original music. This is where the MP3 file player and the Songbook comes into play. I created a Songbook entry pointing to whatever MP3 soundbed of one of my songs is and then point to up to 4 STS settings for that song. I normally only use one STS setting per original song, but I have created more, since sometimes I use different lead sounds live than on the album.

Since your keyboard is new, you will likely not have a bunch of custom Keyboard Sets yet. On the mid-bottom left of the screen, you will see the Keyboard Set that is currently active when you play. You can touch that set name and it will open a window that will allow you to select any keyboard set that you wish. If you want to change what is there, simply select a new keyboard set and it will load up.

If you want to modify the currently active set, then change the sounds in the set you want to change (by touching each selection in the Upper 1/2/3/Lower and change the individual sound to what you want. Make any EFX/EQ/whatever changes you want and then touch the upper right of the screen and you will find different options for saving the set into one of the STS locations, saving the set to your user section, etc... It is pretty easy.

I do not save direct styles to a USB drive, and I do not use the Songbook Editor that you can put on your PC. I do it all from the keyboard itself but do use the USB functionality to load/save data to/from the MicroSD I installed into the keyboard. I currently upgraded that from an 8gb to a 16gb because of the number of MIDI files and MP3 files I have on the keyboard.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very excellent, thank you guys very much! I was spinning and spinning on this one. I haven't digested everything you shared but a few things yes. I'll have more time this weekend to dive deeper.

1. Biggles- I understand now how My Setting can be used to copy and paste a desired Keyboard Set from one location to another. I don't have the PC librarian hooked up yet.

2. Harry- big whoops on my part here. I didn't understand that when you selected the keyboard set, mid left, that it went to a library of keyboard sets. I assumed it was the same thing as selecting one of the 4 individual sounds, upper 1-3 and lower. It is a bit confusing, considering you're given the same looking list of individual sounds whether its for Sounds of Keyboard Sets. I was like, where the heck have they been hiding the user keyboard set library? A lesson in reading the top header of the page, which distinguishes between Sounds and Keyboard Sets!

Here in San Francisco we're finally getting some good weather the last coupla weeks. Because of the bay, we typically have a lot of overcast days during the summer.

I'm off to play with friends in Golden Gate park! I bring a full setup, including congas and a guitar for others to play, and then have the keyboard and mic going thru some serious amplification- what a blast playing outdoors on a beautiful day with good guitar and conga players!

Thanks again guys,
Randy
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Very excellent, thank you guys very much! I was spinning and spinning on this one. I haven't digested everything you shared but a few things yes. I'll have more time this weekend to dive deeper.

1. Biggles- I understand now how My Setting can be used to copy and paste a desired Keyboard Set from one location to another. I don't have the PC librarian hooked up yet.

2. Harry- big whoops on my part here. I didn't understand that when you selected the keyboard set, mid left, that it went to a library of keyboard sets. I assumed it was the same thing as selecting one of the 4 individual sounds, upper 1-3 and lower. It is a bit confusing, considering you're given the same looking list of individual sounds whether its for Sounds of Keyboard Sets. I was like, where the heck have they been hiding the user keyboard set library? A lesson in reading the top header of the page, which distinguishes between Sounds and Keyboard Sets!

Here in San Francisco we're finally getting some good weather the last coupla weeks. Because of the bay, we typically have a lot of overcast days during the summer.

I'm off to play with friends in Golden Gate park! I bring a full setup, including congas and a guitar for others to play, and then have the keyboard and mic going thru some serious amplification- what a blast playing outdoors on a beautiful day with good guitar and conga players!

Thanks again guys,
Randy

Glad to help Smile

Good weather in the Bay Area? I remember getting lots of great weather there when I was there Smile I am actually from Northern California. I lived in Lake County but frequented the clubs from Santa Rosa to Cotati and Petaluma. I did a lot of music work in the East Bay as well. I spent A LOT of time there with different band gigs and dj'ing. I also played many of the wineries in the Napa Valley area for years before moving to Iowa.

I remember the park well. I loved the arboretum and took many pictures of the different flowers there. It is a wonderful place to visit. In addition, a Klingon Warbird landed there with Kirk, McCoy, Spock, Scotty in it - well, at least in the movies Smile

I also had a recording studio up in Lake County, right on the water of Clear Lake as well Smile I loved the inspiration of waking up on the beach in the morning and going in and writing music Smile

I moved to Iowa in 1999. Been here, basically ever since Smile I love it here. The last time I was in CA was in Dec 2016 on our way to Hawaii for 3 weeks. We stayed in San Jose for a little bit before/after the Hawaii trip.

With this new group I am working with, I will be bringing 3 keyboards (PA700, M50 and Kross 61) as well as my Alesis keytar Smile I understand about a full setup Smile

Let us know how your gig went with the PA1000 Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome.

It takes a while to get to grips with the Korg systems inbuilt but well worth the effort.

I for one learn a lot from this forum and especially the webinars I referred to previously.

One way you could also use your custom keyboard sets in the user banks is to group them into say genres and rename the user bank to suit.

IE
Worship related kbsets grouped together in a user bank named Worship.

Country music related custom kbsets in a user bank named Country

Dance kbsets in Dance, you should get the picture of organizing.

Then when playing say a Country song in addition to the four kbsets associated with the song you have a whole screen of Country related kbsets to call upon at the touch of the screen.

This is all explained in the offline webinar with Chris Johnson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: