Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programming analog synths

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Programming analog synths Reply with quote

When time allows (rarely) I've been poking around trying to get a handle on the basics of programming analog synths. Watched a lot of videos on old school 70s / 80s instruments and was beginning to get comfortable with the concepts.

A while back I asked here about the best analog engine on the Kronos for these baby steps and everyone pointed me to the AL-1 engine. Time passes, life happens, and I eventually get back around to it.

I'd looked at it before watching synth basic tutorials and it was just pages of geekness. Now that I've seen what a lot of the old (and newer) synths do and can tell an OSC from an envelope, I fired it up again. After watching videos of a lot of dedicated modern synth keyboards / VSTs, I wasn't sure how this compared to them feature-wise since it's just one engine in a much larger creature.

Holy cow.

Even before you get into two EXi layers, one alone is everything I've familiarized myself with thus far and more.

My background is guitar, so most of my time on the K has been playing piano just trying to build some chops. I'd intentionally avoided synth stuff because it's easy to fool myself into thinking I can play when it's the synth sounds doing all the heavy lifting.

I'm still not a keyboard player (or Jedi) yet, but I'm finally moving along to the point where I can take some time away from piano to play with the synth engines. This is some seriously cool stuff.

It was very considerate of Korg to place a bright red sticker on the screen saying, "Caution: Deep Rabbit Hole Ahead. Bring Snacks."
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
SKung

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL-1 is a complex synthesizer with a more complex user interface.

The basic principles of virtual-analog synthesis are almost the same in all synthesizers. You have oscillators, envelopes, filters and LFOs.

For beginners I recommend using Polysix, this synth is much easier than AL-1 and it has a more intuitive user interface.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKung wrote:
AL-1 is a complex synthesizer with a more complex user interface.

The basic principles of virtual-analog synthesis are almost the same in all synthesizers. You have oscillators, envelopes, filters and LFOs.

For beginners I recommend using Polysix, this synth is much easier than AL-1 and it has a more intuitive user interface.

Thanks, man. I'll look at the Polysix as well.

I bought the Kronos as my beginner keyboard because I figured I wouldn't outgrow it anytime soon. There's always going to be the next cool new toy on the market but I can't imagine this thing not serving my needs for many years to come.

Plus, you know, really great sounding pianos. Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the complexity of the Kronos dedicated synth engines in this order :

- Polysix
- MS-20
- AL-1
- STR-1
- MOD-7

For the other engines :

- SGX-2
- EP-1
- CX-3
- HD-1

I consider HD-1 to be almost as complex as AL-1, but of course in different ways. As mentioned, always work one EXi at a time in any program. Of course, you can explore all the engines in any order, but for less advanced users, it's good to feel you can progress more quickly in a simpler engine. Then confidence will help in the next one.

It's true that it's easier to master the most complex engines when you have experience in hardware analog/digital synth programming. I consider myself advanced in that stuff, except for FM synthesis which always gave me headaches Mad , so for me the MOD-7 remains the most difficult to digest.

For subtractive synthesis, even with a monster machine like AL-1, the basics stay the same, so always : oscillator, filter, amplifier, envelopes, modulation. Then the other things available, etc. The AL-1 is my very favorite for the synth sound possibilities and second best for me is the MS-20 with its interface + patch panel and for certain particular sounds which complement the AL-1.

So to me, I actually see the AL-1 as an enormous modular system. Our friend Chrutil created his free AL-1 editor exactly in this fashion, so if you have a PC I strongly recommend it. Imagine owning a gigantic hardware modular with this interface (click this link : https://i.postimg.cc/kXpNRkZP/AL-1.jpg). And remember a Kronos combi can multiply this by 16. Shocked
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Keith Emerson lives!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
Yikes! Keith Emerson lives!

Yep... Lots of lights, knobs and switches to deal with... Shocked Sequencers, LFOs and other modules... Blinking, beeping and flashing... Brick wall

ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Blinking, beeping and flashing... ]

Oh, my!
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
pete.m

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Splendid 'Airplane' clip, Chris...
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming analog synths Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:

A while back I asked here about the best analog engine on the Kronos for these baby steps and everyone pointed me to the AL-1 engine. Time passes, life happens, and I eventually get back around to it.

That maybe wasn't the best adivise you were given, AL1 is pretty complex and not particularly direct, as in twist a knob and see what happens.

As KK says look at the PolySix and the MS20, once mastered AL1 will be waiting.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming analog synths Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
ChrisDuncan wrote:

That maybe wasn't the best adivise you were given, AL1 is pretty complex and not particularly direct, as in twist a knob and see what happens.

As KK says look at the PolySix and the MS20, once mastered AL1 will be waiting.

Hey, Bob.

Somehow missed this reply. Thanks very much for the help. So much to learn, but it's a really nice group of folks here.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and try not to worry too much about those blinking and beeping and flashing things. Laughing
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Yep and try not to worry too much about those blinking and beeping and flashing things. Laughing

Oh wow, man. The colors. Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: