Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha SX900 multiple chord loops
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Yamaha SX900 multiple chord loops Reply with quote

I suggested this a long time ago when Korg first adopted Roland's Chord Sequencer idea. Sadly, it seems Yamaha beat Korg to the punch, but perhaps now someone else has braved the waters, Korg could get around to adding it?

Yamaha SX900 can have up to eight Chord Sequencer loops cued up on a page on the touchscreen, nameable, so you can easily remember what is what. Freely move between verse, chorus, bridge, vamp, alternate songs, you name it.

It is the next step in ease of use of the Chord Sequencer, and a damn shame someone else did it first..! I can only suggest stuff - I can't make Korg do it, LOL Twisted Evil

Oh, and while we are at it, the SX900 allows USB import of the chord structure analyzed from an MP3 on an iPad using their Chord Tracker software into the Chord Sequencer. Shocked

Obviously, this only works within the limits of chord detection software, and YMMV depending on the complexity and arrangement of the tune, but what a great way to be able to get started on playing a song you like as quickly as possible!

For anyone that thinks Korg don't need to innovate faster, I can only point to how quickly the competition is ramping up. This is an idea LONG past its time. Once you adopt a feature, don't just sit back on your derriere, Korg...

Make it BETTER!
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Is no one else even slightly impressed with this feature? No one might like Korg to adopt it?

How many use the chord sequencer at all? Because if you do, you must see what a game changer this is!
BillTracy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
Really? Is no one else even slightly impressed with this feature? No one might like Korg to adopt it?

How many use the chord sequencer at all? Because if you do, you must see what a game changer this is!

I am having trouble grasping how this would be used-perhaps you could give an example?
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:

Its a Yamaha.

Why would anyone buy a Yamaha Arranger?

The thing could whistle Dixie all on its own and I for one would not be interested simply because its a Yamaha

If Yamaha produced the only keyboards I would make my own tin whistle.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:

Hi, I am . Sounds interesting.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
BillTracy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone give an example how the multiple chord sequences would be used? Also, is it 8 sequences per playlist or total?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
ts a Yamaha.
Why would anyone buy a Yamaha Arranger?

The thing could whistle Dixie all on its own and I for one would not be interested simply because its a Yamaha

I get this very very vague notion that you do not like Yamaha much Wink

I played Yamaha and Roland arrangers for a long time but, personally, will be very excited the day they produce something more professional.

P Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songs don't follow linear structure. Other than perhaps jazz heads (and even there, alternate substitutions or vamp sections change the loop), you don't always follow a simple verse/chorus rinse and repeat format. This makes a chord loop only PART of the song. It's either that, or with only the one loop, you record one linear loop the whole song length and lose the ability to restructure on the fly.

That's kind of the point of using styles rather than SMF's, isn't it?

But with multiple loops available per Performance (Registration, whatever Yamaha call them), you could do one loop for Verse/Chorus, another for the Bridge, another for a vamp, another for a coda, and then freely select them on the fly.

Or even have a loop for one song, a loop for another, up to eight songs' chords ready to go (if reasonably simple verse/chorus structures or start to finish loops) on the fly for ad hoc medleys.

Songs with non repeating sections, bridges, vamps and other non linear structure are hard to pull off with a CS without locking yourself into a beginning to end straight through format. Even SMF's can have Markers to avoid that! Yamaha's new system is like Markers for chord loops, in a way...
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I think you can also save them , and import them and export them, know more when it arrives.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
BillTracy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, looks like a very useful feature.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I played Yamaha and Roland arrangers for a long time but, personally, will be very excited the day they produce something more professional.

P Very Happy

I would say that with this feature, they have... More professional than Korg's one loop for sure!

Sadly, Biggles' blinkered dismissal of Yamaha is blinding him to the bigger picture. You may not want to use a Yamaha, but that doesn't mean there aren't features that, if adopted by Korg, would massively improve the brand. This is one such thing. Yamaha's massive DSP for insert effects is another. Even the midline SX900 has 8 freely assignable insert effects, the Genos has 28! That's some serious effects firepower!

However, adding the insert effects means a radical change in Korg's hardware. But adding multiple switchable chord loops from the touch screen is not. That's basic OS programming. And well within Korg's ability to do...

The point, Biggles, is not to make you use a Yamaha. The point is to make Korg adopt the best features currently available for the professional, and compete with Yamaha for the cutting edge.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If were are talking about arrangers exclusively then I agree but if the remark is a blanket statement then I thing that is a complete disservice to Yamaha.

Yamaha have built some great Keyboards over the years and I am talking about Synths and Stage Pianos. The gear is reliable and well thought out and as good as anything else produced in the Pro MI Market. I am currently using a Yamaha CP4 Stage Piano with wooden keys, the touch is superb and the sounds are brilliant, before that I had a Yamaha S90ES and again it was a very organic musical instrument used by lots of stage musicians across the world.

I wouldnt buy a Genos as its not my thing and the Pa4x is still a better instrument for me as a live player but as far as Yamaha I have only had great experiences with their products. The PA equipment is great as well and I am using a pair of Yamaha DXR12s and a RCF Active sub for my rig with a superb sound.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I’d say at this point is, pretty much any modern MOTL or TOTL arranger can be made to sound incredible. If you can’t sound amazing on a Yamaha or a Roland or a Ketron, that’s not the fault of the arranger!

They’ve all (including Korg) got their strengths and weaknesses. But none of them prevent you from sounding great. Unless you can’t play to those strengths and weaknesses.

The player is 95% of the equation. You want to argue about the other 5%, have at it!
ckobu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Chord Looper on sx900.

https://youtu.be/kfIHzKzyZok
https://youtu.be/7t8UATMMIbE
https://youtu.be/psob26HZEVM
https://youtu.be/iu7oCEFVKDY
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I got one thing wrong there... I don't see anyone naming the chord loop, it appears to get its name from the actual progression. I hope I am wrong!

I don't think it would be anywhere near as useful or intuitive if you couldn't name the loops. Two different loops that started withy the same few chords would appear identical on the screen. Plus, what happens if you are playing transposed? Do the chords displayed transpose automatically?

Here's the perfect opportunity for Korg to do it BETTER!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: