Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gig bag for PA1000
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Gig bag for PA1000 Reply with quote

Was surprised to find that there aren't that many choices out there. I specifically need:
- Backpack straps
- Large enough to include the music stand
- Don't care if it has wheels or not
- Reasonable protection even if not a hard case
- Weight under 10 pounds
- Price under $200

The only one I've found so far is the Gator PG-61 Pro Go, sells for $189. Was tempted to buy from Thomann or Musicstore.de, they seem to have a good selection at low prices, but didn't want to wait for shipping to the states.

Thanks,
Randy
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that the PA700/PA1000 was a bit heavy and large to wear on my back, like a backpack. It is a full size unit with a bit of heft to it.

I use my PA700 for up to 4-5 performances a day and so the total weight, with pedals, power cords and extension cord, and case itself, runs about 30 pounds...

What I found works best for me is a rolling 61-key soft case. My particular case is from Road Runner cases and they run about $180, like the one you listed. I got mine from Guitar Center.

The only problem I had with my rolling case is that the right wheel was really worn down to almost nothing. When I got a hold of Road Runner cases directly, and provided pics of the worn wheel, they agreed that it should not have worn that fast, even with all of the gigs that I do a month (well over 50). They instructed me to contact Guitar Center (where I bought it from) and they replaced it, about 17 months after I bought it, with a brand new one, under warranty.

The new case is not wearing as quickly as the original one so maybe it was a design flaw. There is one 'flaw' that I contacted them about though: the zippered pouch on the front of the case is zipped from the wrong direction. It opens from the bottom, and that means that all of the stuff I put in the pouch falls to the floor when the case is upright.... moving the zipper direction from bottom-to-top to top-to-bottom is a better idea. They have not made the change, as of yet (and I doubt they will).

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Korg case, it was designed by an idiot and bought by one.

The outer pocket is not large enough to hold the music stand, and even with pedals, music book, power lead and power extension lead it is full. Hence it is far too small.

Inside it is OK but only just OK and with the keyboard and music stand (which is wrapped in an old towel to protect the keyboard and bag from being damaged) in the case it is a tight fit

So do not make the same mistakes as I did.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: road Reply with quote

Road Runner cases

pa4x in a 61keys bag..fit tight
and my
pa1000 in a 76 keys bag...plenty of room

Biggles
It is a good thing that we can make fun of are self
,I do the same , i join the club long ago..
Embarassed
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
I always thought that the PA700/PA1000 was a bit heavy and large to wear on my back, like a backpack. It is a full size unit with a bit of heft to it.

I use my PA700 for up to 4-5 performances a day and so the total weight, with pedals, power cords and extension cord, and case itself, runs about 30 pounds...

What I found works best for me is a rolling 61-key soft case. My particular case is from Road Runner cases and they run about $180, like the one you listed. I got mine from Guitar Center.

The only problem I had with my rolling case is that the right wheel was really worn down to almost nothing. When I got a hold of Road Runner cases directly, and provided pics of the worn wheel, they agreed that it should not have worn that fast, even with all of the gigs that I do a month (well over 50). They instructed me to contact Guitar Center (where I bought it from) and they replaced it, about 17 months after I bought it, with a brand new one, under warranty.

The new case is not wearing as quickly as the original one so maybe it was a design flaw. There is one 'flaw' that I contacted them about though: the zippered pouch on the front of the case is zipped from the wrong direction. It opens from the bottom, and that means that all of the stuff I put in the pouch falls to the floor when the case is upright.... moving the zipper direction from bottom-to-top to top-to-bottom is a better idea. They have not made the change, as of yet (and I doubt they will).

Grace,
Harry

Hmmmm... are you talking about the RR5K61? There's are several reviews on musiciansfriend that talks about broken zippers. I've had many zippers fail, so that's of obvious concern.

I agree, the PA 700/1000 are by my sense, tipping the scale on what's easily portable with backpack straps. But it depends on how well its done, some reviewers talk about it being clumsy, and some reviews, on particular bags, talk about it working well. My biggest concern is going up flights of stairs, which wheels are not good at. And the beauty of it on the back is that leaves 2 hands for other items.

Will it accomadate the music stand?

Thanks, Randy
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keyboard bag I got was at this link:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner/Highway-Series-Padded-Keyboard-Porter-Bag-61-Key-Regular-1436539684954.gc

This is the one that I had replaced because of a faulty wheel (which was replaced under warranty). I have never had a zipper issue with any of their products, unless I tried to overfill the bag itself (I've never really done this either).

The case I have does not allow me to fit the music stand in the pouch. I generally do not need my music stand at the nursing homes, as almost all of the music I play is memorized now. For the days that I want to play something that is in a book instead of in my memory, I carry the music stand in my hand while I am pulling the wheeled case with my hand.

My setup for most nursing homes consists of my PA700 in the wheeled case, a small clip-on fan, and a drink, with my right hand. I usually carry my keyboard x-stand with my left hand and go into the building. For the homes that require a PA system I have a red foldable wagon (Ozark Trail from Walmart) that I put the speakers (either individual speakers or my 2.1 10" sub system), my drink, the bag of cords, and the music stand and music book (if needed). I then put the keyboard (in its bag) on the top of the wagon and then put the keyboard stand on top of that. I then wheel it into the facility and do my thing Smile

I could not see putting the PA700 in a back-pack type case. I am 5'8" tall and I fear that I would probably kick the bottom of the case when walking or it would hit the bottom of the steps when walking up them. Maybe if I were taller...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Fusion Keyboard 06 61 to 76 Key Keyboard Bag. That’s what I bought, $170. It’s a great, light bag that has some built in straps for carrying.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP here with an update.

I bought the Gator PG-61 for $170 off of Amazon.

Bag review:
It has tall sides and is deeper and wider than the pa1000. But for being under 10 pounds it feels sturdy and will provide a modicum of protection. The pouch is quite large. I don't have the music stand, the seller said he lost it, but it sure looks like this pouch is large enough to fit.

I like the backpack straps alot, I'm 5'11" and it works well for me. The included shoulder strap was not even mentioned in the lit, but I'm glad it's there, it often is enough for short jaunts. Can't think of anything to fault it with, so it gets a 10 out of 10 from me.

Randy
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
OP here with an update.

Bag review:
It has tall sides and is deeper and wider than the pa1000. But for being under 10 pounds it feels sturdy and will provide a modicum of protection. The pouch is quite large. I don't have the music stand, the seller said he lost it, but it sure looks like this pouch is large enough to fit.

I like the backpack straps alot, I'm 5'11" and it works well for me. The included shoulder strap was not even mentioned in the lit, but I'm glad it's there, it often is enough for short jaunts. Can't think of anything to fault it with, so it gets a 10 out of 10 from me.

Randy

Good deal Smile I am glad that you found something that works for you. I checked that bag and rather like the micro-fleece interior.

If they made that model with wheels, I would order one, myself Smile

Grace,
Harry
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it'll fit the Music Stand, don't have one, the guy who sold me the board lost it. I'm looking at Parts is Parts, but they don't have one in stock. What are other place to get Korg parts?

Last edited by Randelph on Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
Randelph wrote:
OP here with an update.

Bag review:

Randy

Good deal Smile I am glad that you found something that works for you. I checked that bag and rather like the micro-fleece interior.

If they made that model with wheels, I would order one, myself Smile

Grace,
Harry

Harry, I've been using this one with my Pa3x-61 and can say it's a first-class case - after three years of solid road work it's only now showing a bit of wear and tear..

I get my board in there with room at one end taken by a sustain pedal and mains cord. My music stand goes into a plastic bag and sits atop the velcroed straps. The outer bag carries two regular binders. I'll certainly buy another one when this gives up the ghost.
https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=686&o=&offset=&c=88&s=76
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Giner,
That looks like a sturdy bag, with stair slides on the back and the ability to set it upright (am I right?).

Does it also have a shoulder strap? However, at 20 pounds, that's more weight than I'm willing to carry. The one I got, which is about the same price is under 10 pounds. I'll bet yours will last longer!
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, its sturdy alright. It does come with a shoulder strap, though I've never used that - always use the wheels.

I had a cheaper case one time (can't remember the brand) and the D-rings where the straps attach gave out after a couple of hoists. I would think these SKB would fare better. Generally, you get you pay for.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giner wrote:
Yep, its sturdy alright. It does come with a shoulder strap, though I've never used that - always use the wheels.

I had a cheaper case one time (can't remember the brand) and the D-rings where the straps attach gave out after a couple of hoists. I would think these SKB would fare better. Generally, you get you pay for.

I agree, we do get what we pay for Smile With that said, the Road Runner rolling case I have has done pretty well, even with the wheel wearing faster than normal. The replacement case I got from Road Runner seems to be doing just fine.

For doing lots of road gigging, a hard case is really the best way to go. The lighter duty cases are great for occasional gigs, but the hard cases are the best. You do PAY, A LOT, for that extra sturdiness, though.

What I liked about the Road Runner case, even though it is a semi-rigid case, was the warranty replacement and customer service from Road Runner themselves. THAT made a big difference for me. I have had warranty claims with SKB and others and was basically left out in the cold by them.

Grace,
Harry
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Harry. I haven't come across the Road Runner brand. Sounds like they'll be worth a look when the time comes, though. That said, I don't presently have any reason to switch away from SKB, but your warranty issue is not encouraging - not that I've had to trigger any warranty on mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: