Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Fix - nearly,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davhill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Battery Fix - nearly, Reply with quote

Hello again all,

I've nearly fixed my X5D but a problem has arisen.

I wanted to replace the backup battey and as it was the soldered-in kind, I got a coin cell holder with wires and fitted it to the mainboard.

I tried to desolder the battery pins but the solder didn't seem keen on melting. However, with a little encouragement - and a bit more heat - I could remove the battery. So far so good.

Despite using a good soldering gun and a sucker device, I couldn't get the factory solder out of the mounting holes. I was fearful of frying the board so I tinned the wires' ends and using a little cored solder, I attached the wires to the contact points on the top face of the board.

With the battery in and switched on, I reassembled my Korg, leaving the baseplate off.

When I fired it up, it went into test mode, which I hadn't asked for. On a restart, it showed the welcome message, followed by the 'battery low' message (0.46 volt). Measuring across my newly soldered points showed 3.2 volts.

I could then go into Global and reload everything. Everything is fine and the voices in Combi and Prog are all there so the only problem is the above error message.

It seems I've introduced some resistance into the circuit but I've no real electronics experience. i could send the mainboard away to a friend who has such exepreince but I'm puzzled about what happened.
mrrstrat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soldering gun - like you find at Menards or Home Depot - is a definite no-go. Try a 30 or 40 watt iron with a fine tip. Copper Solder braid works great to wick away melted solder and leave you a clean set of terminals to solder to.

Use a fine (0.032) 60/40 rosin core solder.
davhill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, mrrstrat,

I the end, I took my mainboard to a friend of a friend with experience
of soldering of the kind required. He found that I'd damaged a track on the
board and was able to fix it by bridging the break with a length of very fine wire held in place with two tiny blobs of solder.

The outcome is that my X5D is now fixed and equipped with a battery holder that permits quick and easy changing of the coin cell. I'm happy now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: