Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syncing a Kronos and a King Korg question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Syncing a Kronos and a King Korg question Reply with quote

Hi there! I've had a thing in my head for quite some time now and have wanted to try to get my Kronos and King Korg to talk to each other.
I would like to write a musical motif on my Kronos using the step sequencer; I can study how from one of Qui's videos; and have it play in time with my King Korg's arpegiator.
I'm not wanting the King Korg to play the same notes, I just want to have it play at the exact same speed.
Does anybody know if this is even possible or can tell me exactly how to do this?
I know it has something to do with the internal clocks. I think I'd have to turn the clock off in my King Korg and some how have it read the Kronos' clock but I just am not sure how to do it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jeremykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing, jeremy, this one's pretty straightforward.

1) set King Korg MIDI clock or sync to "slave, external, or auto"
2) set Kronos clock to Master or Internal. Could try Auto as well (on GLOBAL/MIDI page)

Don't forget to save.

Note:
if you ever go to play the Drum track (or KARMA) on your Kronos,
but it doesn't seem to respond,
this likely means Kronos MIDI clock is set to "External"
It will just wait for some other device to tell it what the beat is.
Set it back to Internal to make it work again.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks psionic311! I read the King Korg manual on the page referring to the clock and set it to external midi. Not USB as I'm just using a standard midi cable. Here's the thing though, my KK doesn't seem to be seeing the Kronos clock. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I'm just not sure what it is yet.
Thanks for the help though. It's appreciated!
Have to get supper now. I'll try getting this puppy to work a bit later. The sound I'm getting on my Kronos puts me in a Nine Inch Nails vibe. Very cool! That wasn't my intention but, hey! Gotta go with the flow!

Thanks again!

Jeremykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can play the KK from the Kronos keyboard, and vice versa, right?

MIDI
Kronos OUT ==> KingKorg IN
KingKorg OUT ==> Kronos IN

Both Kronos and KK on MIDI channel 1 ?

Kronos can play its own drums ?

=========================

By the way, I really like NIN.
Heresy, Happiness in Slavery, Down In It, Hand that Feeds
the whole Broken/Fixed and Downward Spiral albums.
I love drum and bass too.

Check out these remixes of Perfect Drug.

That only plays the first video track. There are 5 total:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKxu3mX6Rps&list=PLD8F77E2904853C17

===================

I've been making a lot of FM patches in MOD7 lately
More than half are hard industrial soundscapes and basses. Shocked

I even successfully used STR1 engine to make
real deep chugga chugga down tuned electric guitar sounds!
Twisted Evil

Now if only I would record actual songs...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have the Kronos midi out to the King Korg midi in, I'll try connecting another cable to go back to the Kronos. Both synths are on midi channel 1. l Checked this! Smile Still no luck though.
Here's what I've done so far. I called up a PolysixEX patch called User-E 014 Velo PS6 Reso SW1. I have my KING KORG playing a modified Classic lead patch that I saved form a factory sound.
Having tested this by just playing the Kronos, of course, it's also playing the King Korg! D'oh! Have to turn that off! I want to only have the clocks synced. Not play both from one keyboard. I'll get back to it again later today. Just to busy to play. Poo!

As for recording real songs. That's one of the reasons that I bought my Kronos years ago. Here's a couple of examples of songs that I record using only the Kronos with the exceptions that I plugged my guitars and bass into the Kronos and used the internal amp simms. I also recorded the vocals in my Kronos. Everythign you hear was either played or recorded into the Kronos. Nothing else was used.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremykeys/01-walk-a-mile-in-your-shooz

https://soundcloud.com/jeremykeys/01-times-awastin

I have a couple of others but for some reason I can't seem to find them on my Soundcloud accoount.
Hope you enjoy them!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having thought about it all a little bit more, I think I'm just going to have to use the clock on my Cubase 10 program. That's what I'd be recording on to anyway. This way both synths are synced up and I can more easily have control over each individual keyboard. If it doesn't work, well, back to the drawing board as they say! It's all just a fun experiment anyway.
I basically just want to have to different arpegiatotrs running at the same time together, be able to change chords on each keyboard as I feel, and be able to tweak the filter knobs and echos/delays and such.
I did this one only on the King Korg a few years back. I'm only just now revisiting the idea but trying to take it to the next level.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremykeys/king-korg-1
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the KK should have been able to play its arps locked to the Kronos.
Oh well, Cubase will work too.

I like that the King Korg riff.

I also listened to the guitar songs you wrote on the Kronos.
Fight was my favorite.
Did you connect the guitar and bass directly into the Kronos?
Just wondering if you used the Kronos amp sims or a real amp?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight was recorded long before I had my Kronos. I have an old Yamaha AW16G digital recorder. I used my old Roland U-20 for the drum sounds and I had my Yamaha QX-1 sequencer to write the drum parts into.

For the other 2 songs I actually used the Kronos onboard amp sims. I just fooled around adjusting things until I got something that I could live with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: