Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASM Hydrasynth
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: ASM Hydrasynth Reply with quote

So this little digital, wavetable "Hydrasynth" popped up in my news feed today, and naturally I got a bit excited over a new keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch. It's also got a full-length ribbon controller. I've watched a few vids on it and I like how it sounds for a purely digital wavetable synth and I especially like how they've implemented their controls -- it's not a dedicated knob per function synth, but it seems to be pretty intuitive, and I really like how the mod matrix can be accessed by holding down buttons. I do wish it had 61 keys instead of only 49, more wavetable waveforms, and more polyphony. It's an 8-voice synth with 3 oscillators per voice, 2 filters, 5 LFOs, an arpeggiator, CV gate stuff too. Only 2 audio outs. I have no idea what its MIDI specs are though.

There's a desktop version that can be a rack mount as well.

Expected to be around $1299 for the keyboard version or $799 for the desktop version. Comes out in November... just in time for Christmas, if you're into wavetable synths. :)

A couple of vids:

Also: https://youtu.be/n0Xx45aUz9k

And: https://youtu.be/MhBi6rzFkCA

EDIT: main website here http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/

Last edited by HardSync on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Its poly aftertouch.. Reply with quote

Did i say poly aftertouc?

Makes you wonder how it handles poly aftertouch over midi?

Seems with everyone waiting for a poly aftertouch key for ages..
And looking at the design of the UI..
With just a little bit of patching, it could easilly be a midi master controller with the 8 assignable encoders..
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyphonic Aftertouch?

I have had that in my Ensoniq VFX and VFX-SD, which comfortably reside in my studio, as a standard feature in those two boards Smile

It is funny how so many companies went away from that option so long ago...

The demo of sounds for this new Hydrasynth seemed rather unremarkable to me, but maybe I will listen again with headphones and see if my opinion changes...

In the Sonicstate review, they even reference Ensoniq (ESQ-1 or the SQ-80) because of the mod matrix...

It is nice when these smaller companies put out synths that really push the boundaries that the big 3 do not seem to fully get on board with - at least until people start snatching the new units up...then the big 3 are followers instead of innovators...

Behringer is doing pretty exciting things as well, even if they are simply recreating what has already been done and making them affordable (and more stable) than the original manufacturers did.

I wish Hydrasynth success - maybe I will pick one up sometime down the road if I need that type of sound. My next purchases will be another Korg PA700, a Behringer Deepmind-12, a Behringer RD-8, and probably 3 of the Behringer Model D units...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all excited about the Hydra! Cool
It sounds pretty solid to me in most of the videos.
Better than the Peak/Summit, or even the P12.

I just can't seem to go ITB.
But I'm always watching YT videos on wavetable and FM synthesis.
Jealous of Serum and Live macros
I've taken to making Skrillex and Virtual Riot type basses
The Kronos MOD7 engine and wave sequencer still delivers here.

But man!
The Hydra has wavescanning, wavefolding,
customizable wavetables, wavescanning,
FM, OSC sync, several types of PWM, audio IN...
...and that's just the OSC section. Applause

The list of features goes on...
like they've heard all the synth communities long time wishes
Poly AT, ribbon, CV, easy mod matrix,
LED rings around knobs, OLED scribble strips... man!

Kudos to them for also keeping everything a secret and then
Shocked BAM, dropping it on the community ready to go.
And fairly priced too.
Gonna take some market away from Behringer, Novation, and a few others...
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get info if it is controllable by MPE per voice, if so I will get the module. Really like the look and sound of this one.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure like how it sounds and looks, specially the details at working on the sounds with the ribbon and such.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going to add this 1.5 hour deep dive video by Sweetwater, for those who want a much more informative vid on what this synth can do...

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite an impressive Synth. Fresh sounding and full of innovation. Looks stunning too.

Me like very much. Shocked
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
This is quite an impressive Synth. Fresh sounding and full of innovation. Looks stunning too.

Me like very much. :shock:

Having seen a few of your posts about wavetable synths, I had a feeling you might like this one. :)

OK, so for the readers, here is an interview with Glen Darcy of ASM with some general info about this new synth:

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/asm-hydrasynth-interview

As I said in the Kronos forum, I haven't been this excited about a new synth since the Wavestation came out in 1990.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:

Having seen a few of your posts about wavetable synths, I had a feeling you might like this one. Smile

Absolutely. From everything I've seen and heard so far, this is quite an amazing synth.

Sharp.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
HardSync wrote:

Having seen a few of your posts about wavetable synths, I had a feeling you might like this one. Smile

Absolutely. From everything I've seen and heard so far, this is quite an amazing synth.

Sharp.

Definately

Hope they don’t suffer to much from Roland taking over the headlines the day after they announced this one
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Sharp wrote:
HardSync wrote:

Sharp.

Definately

Hope they don’t suffer to much from Roland taking over the headlines the day after they announced this one

I don't think that will happen, two different synth markets I think. I feel this is for the more exploratory programmer than the more tweak-a-preset player/composer. As immense as the new Roland synths are, I think this is stepping in a different direction to path Roland are walking. My only problem is I can't get any more synths until I move into my new house. I guess there is still a few months to go yet, so if someone would kindly buy this house so I can move bfore November please? Wink
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel this is for the more exploratory programmer than the more tweak-a-preset player/composer.

That's a pretty good way to put it. The market for the Hydrasynth certainly seems to be geared towards sound design players and those who love experimenting with synthesis. If someone is hoping to precisely emulate and play other classic synth sounds on it, or use it for bread-and-butter presets for their gigs, I think they're going to be very disappointed. It will, however, make for a wonderful lead synth, particular for the various dance genres, and I think it will be well-suited to evocative sound track compositions. I saw someone mention that the Hydra sounds "cold." Which is perhaps another way of saying it sounds digital rather than analog. I don't see this as a bad thing, particularly when you blend digital synths with analog synths.

So... I mentioned before that I wish it had more polyphony. I noticed that ASM says the Hydra has a "voice overflow" mode, which when paired when another Hydra (desktop or keyboard) allows for 16 voices in total. Perhaps ASM are hoping that customers will purchase both the keyboard and desktop version? It almost seems to be priced that way -- roughly $2000 will get you both models.

Also, I see that the desktop version's pads respond to poly AT. That's pretty neat. :)

But anyway... I'm still sitting on the fence with getting this synth. I don't "need" it, but it sure would be fun to have one. If a user patch sharing community forms up, much like the Wavestation had in the late 90s and early 00s, then I could certainly see me being part of it.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This latest demo showcases the warmer side.

After the Kronos, I find this the most exciting synth out there.
Mid-November can't come soon enough.
I practically know this synth inside out already
And the manual isn't even released yet.

HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another new vid with ASM's Glen Darcy. It's a somewhat talky vid, but gives very cool info on some of the features of this synth, a bit of history on its poly AT keyboard, as well as a very brief tease on the filter's drive setting.

One thing I wonder about is whether ASM are thinking about expanding their synth's capabilities with firmware updates, such as adding new filter models, new waveforms, etc. I haven't heard anyone mention that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: