Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos and Prologue combo.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Kronos and Prologue combo. Reply with quote

Seems like a perfect combo. The immediacy of the arpeggiator would be an obvious highlight to compliment the Kronos for me.
I don’t think there would be much crossover and layering analogue with digital can be amazing. I briefly had some goosebump moments with the JDXA, doing that.

Aesthetically the two wood ended beauties would look amazing together.

I’m in, anybody else following me
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by runningman67 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos and Prologue combo. Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Seems like a perfect combo. The immediacy of the arpeggiator would be an obvious highlight to compliment the Kronos for me.
I don’t think there would be much crossover and layering analogue with digital can be amazing. I briefly had some goosebump moments with the JDXA, doing that.

Aesthetically the two wood ended beauties would look amazing together.

I’m in, anybody else filling me
Rolling Eyes

i am not a new keyboard addict, etc. And any new board has to have practical use IMO

That might be different than what you would like to discuss Smile
Synthee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos and Prologue combo. Reply with quote

I will get a Prologue 8 to complement my Kronos 2 88.
Yes, they will look beautiful together. Very Happy
And the synthaction keys, analogue chain and easy sounddesign will complement my Kronos perfectly.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played the Prologue at NAMM today. The feel of the controls is solid and luxurious. Looks and feels like a top-flight instrument. Sounds wonderful. And when you start adding the 3rd oscillator set to FAT, unison mode, it's massive. Love it.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 8 sensibly priced when you consider the specs and compare it to the competition. Same keybed as the Kronos 2 61.
Shipping in March in the UK.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... for me personally the Prologue leaves nothing to be desired when stacked up to the Kronos. It would be fun to do direct comparisons between the Prologue and some of the VA's in the K. But yeah similar to what Greg said, a new sound design tool would have to have some sonic characteristics that aren't readily available with my current setup. So in that regard there aren't many synths out there that really leave something to be desired tbh... Maybe the VL1, V-SynthGT, or a suite like Kyma.

Still I'm really looking forward to trying out a Prologue sometime at a guitar center. And I'll suggest the Pro to all my friends who are looking to get into synthesizers.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prologue: no aftertouch.

BUMMER!
mikeyd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="laandodeman"Prologue: no aftertouch. ]

BUMMER![/quote]

No aftertouch on an analogue synth? That's a huge mistake IMO. Looks like a great keyboard but why would you omit that?
Synthee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyd wrote:
laandodeman wrote:
Prologue: no aftertouch. ]

BUMMER!

No aftertouch on an analogue synth? That's a huge mistake IMO. Looks like a great keyboard but why would you omit that?

Jupiter 8 doesn't have aftertouch.
I guess people must hate that synth and throw such a huge mistake of a synth on the dump. Wink
Synthee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Well... for me personally the Prologue leaves nothing to be desired when stacked up to the Kronos. It would be fun to do direct comparisons between the Prologue and some of the VA's in the K. But yeah similar to what Greg said, a new sound design tool would have to have some sonic characteristics that aren't readily available with my current setup. So in that regard there aren't many synths out there that really leave something to be desired tbh... Maybe the VL1, V-SynthGT, or a suite like Kyma.

Still I'm really looking forward to trying out a Prologue sometime at a guitar center. And I'll suggest the Pro to all my friends who are looking to get into synthesizers.

I agree that Kronos VA probably can sound as good as prologue.
That´s the problem with owning a Kronos. Its hard to motivate yourself to buy new synths, because Kronos can do almost everything.
But in my case, with a Kronos 88, the advantage to complement with a prologue is synthaction keys which can be nice to use on some sounds where the pianoaction feels unnatural, and the possibility to make sounds quick with lots of dedicated knobs.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Synthee"][quote="mikeyd"][quote="laandodeman"]Prologue: no aftertouch. ]

BUMMER![/quote]

No aftertouch on an analogue synth? That's a huge mistake IMO. Looks like a great keyboard but why would you omit that?[/quote]

I guess people must hate that synth and throw such a huge mistake of a synth on the dump. Wink[/quote]

Thus the reason I’d never own a Jupiter 8. But I wouldn’t own anything Roland. Wink
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the different key action totally makes sense, Synthee. The simplified sound design is also a boon. Simplification is why I'm very much looking forward to Gadget on Switch.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthee wrote:
mikeyd wrote:
laandodeman wrote:
Prologue: no aftertouch. ]

BUMMER!

I guess people must hate that synth and throw such a huge mistake of a synth on the dump. Wink

I heard they set them on fire first. That's why you never ever see them in the dump! They do it to save other people the aggravation.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analog revival is still hot and the Prologue looks smokin' from what I've seen. Realistically, much/most of the sounds you could create on the Prologue could probably also be created on the Kronos, but the immediacy of all the real time controls would probably inspire different choices in sound design as well as real time hand modulation in performance and recording.

The third digital osc can be a wavetable oscillator, and I don't think the Kronos has that, at least that I've found. Wavetable synthesis could (possibly?) be approximated with single cycle waveforms in the K's wave sequencer with short crossfades, but haven't tried it yet.

There is something to a real analog filter as well. I have not had a chance to try out FM with the AL-1 and it's ultra-low aliasing, but aliasing is something you don't have to worry about doing FM synthesis in the analog realm.

What I'd have really liked to have seen on the Prologue though is a bit more I/O. A few CV/audio ins and outs for interfacing to the Eurorack, which is also hot, would have been killer on something like this. I'm sure that would have added to the cost though.

I'm cleaned out from the recent Kronos addition, and there's way too much exploring to do in the K right now to justify adding anything else, but will keep an eye on the Prologue. Interested to see more reviews once it makes it into the hands of consumers.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa knobs means lotsa fun! Very Happy
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: