Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos audio playback and output routing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Nhodes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Kronos audio playback and output routing Reply with quote

Hey good people… I am considering investing in the Kronos for live gigging purposes, but need some advice first. I produce and run a lot of backing tracks for our band, including a click track to our drummer’s ear. Our current set up is using Ableton Live on an older Macbook Pro to run the backing tracks along with a click track on a separate output channel through an audio interface. Ableton also hosts the VSTs I’m using. While this works beautifully in most cases, there are simply too many things that can go wrong at any point – – laptop crashing, FireWire disconnection, interface problems, VST malfunction etc. etc.

I would love to leave the laptop and VSTs at home and trigger my backing and click tracks directly in Kronos. My question is, can Kronos play back (stream) 2 separate audio files simultaneously and allow me to route them to different outputs? For instance, backing track to channels 1/2 L/R and mono click track to, say, channel 3?

Appreciate any insight I can get on this. Thanks!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpt below, from Parameter guide Page 613 as referred from Page 615 about audio track routing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bus Select (IFX/Indiv.Out Assign)
[L/R, IFX1...12, 1...4, 1/2...3/4, Off]
This specifies the output bus for the track’s program oscillator. This parameter can also be edited from the P8– MIDI Routing 2 page.
L/R: Output to the L/R bus.
IFX1...12: Output to the IFX1–12 buses.
1...4: The track will be output in mono from the corresponding AUDIO OUTPUT (INDIVIDUAL).
1/2...3/4: The track will be output in stereo according to its pan setting from the corresponding AUDIO OUTPUT (INDIVIDUAL) pairs.
Off: The track will not be output from the L/R bus, IFX1–12 buses, or Individual 1–4 buses. Choose the Off setting if you want the program oscillator output of the track to be connected in series to a master effect. Use Send1 (to MFX1) and Send2 (to MFX2) to specify the send levels.
Tip: You can create a wide variety of routings by using each track’s Bus Select and the Chain to and Chain settings (8– 5a) that follow the insert effect.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to 19Naia's post re routing: in Sequencer mode, you can have up to 16 Audio Tracks. Those tracks can be routed to any output. So the answer to your question is yes, the Kronos can do this.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every midi track and audio track, has its own independent routing to output.
And the list of output options is in the excerpt i copied and pasted above, from the Kronos parameter guide.

The routing page is where you set up insert FX, bus select and more, and it is per track.

Also, midid tracks can do audio if you think in terms if sampling. Sampling and Audio tracking basically récord audio of full song length if you want, and then the sample can be converted to a program with sample editing available to frame the sample to what you need.
Once it is converted to a program, the program can be set to a midi track and played by a midi note. The midi track route lets you use Combi or Sequencer mode, but it also leads to the polyphony limits of kronos.

And wether you do it via sampling or audio track, the audio tracks and sampling page can share or exchange audio wave files that have been saved to disk mode.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can stream all 16 audio tracks at the same time.
If you use sampling mode, you can stream much more than 16 audio streams at once.

Each program/patch can have a sample on each key, or two separate samples on each key, if you use both Oscillators. Then in Combi mode, you can assign 16 programs to be layered or split to play together and all that with independent mute and volume for each track, independent FX, EQ, midi filters and more.
It can easily get to be too many samples to manage, unless you hit the polyphony limit first. Polyphony for sample based programs is very high.
I think i recall polyphony for HD-1(high definition sample based) being 200 or is it 140 notes? -and that is 1 sample per note for a multisample program.
Kronos can record full song length samples, or divide up its days worth of audio stream memory, between all the areas using it.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos audio playback and output routing Reply with quote

Rick Nhodes wrote:
My question is, can Kronos play back (stream) 2 separate audio files simultaneously and allow me to route them to different outputs? For instance, backing track to channels 1/2 L/R and mono click track to, say, channel 3?

Short answer is yes.

Kronos can play back separate audio coming in on the Audio and USB inputs while you're still playing the keyboard itself.

And yes, you can route that incoming audio to your choice of main L/R or any of the aux out 1, 2, 3, 4 individually. You can also route the audio to aux out pairs (1,2 or 3,4) to preserve stereo.

This means on stage you can connect your click track to audio IN, your iPad via a camera connection kit to the Kronos USB, then route those to the Kronos Aux Out to your drummer and the front of house mixer.

I have my band set lists in Spotify, and practice with my iPad connected directly (either headphone jack or CCK to USB) to the Kronos. This way, while playing both bass guitar and keyboard, I can play, stop, rewind Spotify as I practice along. You can also use your phone this way to play program music between sets. You can even route that incoming audio first thru an FX slot, say for EQ or compression or reverb, and then continue on out to the aux outs.

What's nice is you still have direct control over volume coming in thru Audio Inputs or USB. Just press the Audio button on the Kronos Control Surface on the left side, and then use sliders 1,2 for Audio volume and sliders 3,4 for USB volume. Buttons 1-4 are mute and knobs 1-4 are for pan. You can even solo channels as needed. Think of the Kronos this way as a stereo mixer (L/R out) with 6 input channels and 4 aux outs.
Rick Nhodes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the detailed replies. Recently took possession of a Kronos 7!

🙏
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: