Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum Pattern Library for Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Drum Pattern Library for Kronos Reply with quote

I use the Kronos drum kits and patterns.

What is missing are rolls, several fills, intros and outros . Likely specific patterns.

I do not want to ' roll my own '.

Kid Nepro has something, but those are new kits.

Korgs eXs10 sounds close:
https://shop.korg.com/Kronos/EXS-10

I think I can chop up the patterns or find a measure that I want
to solve missing rolls, intro/outtro for a drum part.

I suppose I can drop $199 if I need to.

Any alternative ? Thanks

Last edited by GregC on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drum patterns inside the Kronos, though they seem "old", are not bad at all : the big problem with all of them is that each of them contains too many notes. Then if you clear precisely some of them, you will be surprised how much suddenly they live and are punchy. It is very bizarre how some programmers believe that "too much is better than less" !...

Otherwise, if you prefer you can google and you will find plenty of drums mid files

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ‘ old ‘

My stuff is retro 70s 80s

I also like the electronica house and techno of the kits plus any pattern that fits

I might fish for midi files but have poor success in quality and using them
Thanks !
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone does want to create their own fills and save them as user drum patterns, you might consider trying out KARMA for this. There are quite a few different ways to get this done. For instance, Stephen Kay made this fun tutorial vid that uses one the arpeggio GEs for the OASYS (this will apply equally to the Kronos) here:

https://youtu.be/3Cy1IfjKl2g

The KARMA wiki has a text version of that here: http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/karma2:playing-realistic-fills-and-solos-in-a-drum-program

You can also do a lot with any drum GE just by moving the sliders, turning on/off patterns, using the KeysHeld switch to thin out the pattern or increase its complexity... There are like 700+ drum GEs alone... plenty of source material to work with, near endless possibilities depending on slider settings such as repeat repetitions, repeat transpose, repeat rhythm value and so on. If you're curious, call up a drum program, switch on KARMA and experiment a bit. If you stumble on anything you like, press the ENTER and REC keys for auto song setup, and record your pattern(s). Then use the sequencer's tools to get the patterns from the track and save them as user drum patterns. (Sorry if this is a bit vague...)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like karma a lot

That u tube, sheesh , 35 steps to do something simple

I will try to give it a chance

I do plenty of chopping and edits in sew

U are right I should dig into the ge s and mangle them

Thanks !
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

It seems like that, but only because he's explaining as he goes. In actual terms, it doesn't take much time at all to set up - less than a minute, perhaps. As an aside, using any of the KARMA arp GEs on drum kits can be a super fun, creative and inspirational "distraction." If one has the time, that is...
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, perhaps you could give a look at Karo banks EXS-59 EXS-63. Sophisticated Groove I and II. 29 $ each.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to spend $200 on an expansion that might not have fills, intros, and outros, you might want to look at this instead:

https://singularsound.com/product/beatbuddy/

You can find them used for $100. The Beat Buddy is made for fills, intros, and outros, and there's a good community and lots of free downloads. You can import the MIDI patterns into Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
GregC wrote:

It seems like that, but only because he's explaining as he goes. In actual terms, it doesn't take much time at all to set up - less than a minute, perhaps. As an aside, using any of the KARMA arp GEs on drum kits can be a super fun, creative and inspirational "distraction." If one has the time, that is...

thanks. You got me rolling on my quest. Keep in mind, I am not much for tweaking, building from scratch, to create 1 or 2 measures.

I found some Karma drum fills on GE's 1967-1984.

I can work and hack at these to get some rolls.

Another Karma drum question- how do I determine what drum kits have Karma Scenes ? I have bumped into 15 kits + Patterns that have evolving scenes.

Here's an example . My " Going Places"
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/going-places

Jump to 1:50 and there are some tasty Karma drum scenes

Thats an example of drum variation/movement I like.

In addition to any drum fills I can dig up in GE's.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $500, i got the old DR.880 drum machine, which probably dates back to when OASYS came out or even a bit earlier.

It has a dedicated fill ,intro and ending section that can be used to construct entire drum pattern songs from scratch.
50 different options for Fills, intros and endings.
And they all pair with any of the 500 preset patterns.

I even went as far as recording into DR.880, one of Kronos preset drum track patterns, and then applied the DR.880 drum fills, intros and endings for a full drum pattern song. It worked like a perfect fit.
And then that can be recorded back into Kronos and made into a User drum pattern for kronos drum track.

What i like about DR.880 is it covers the same foot print area as my 10.5” iPad except DR.880 is about 3 inches high. It sits easily on top of Kronos at the far right surface panel area with no controls in the way.
And i get extra foot control jacks that midi into kronos from DR.880, plus a bass track in DR.880 with bass programs to use without taxing Kronos polyphony limits.
I haven’t even tapped into what Karma can bring to the mix if i dialed in some Karma drum pattern parameters and then recorded them to DR.880 to splice into what fills DR.880 has.
I end up using karma to drive bass arp and synth arp patterns and layering that over the drum pattern work.
Then the keyboard playing goes very well for me from there.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
For $500, i got the old DR.880 drum machine, which probably dates back to when OASYS came out or even a bit earlier.

e.

thats great . you found a perfect solution some yrs ago. Just FYI, I am not planning to drop $500 for drum fills.

I suppose I can hunt for a flea bay DR if it fits my requirements.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another Karma drum question- how do I determine what drum kits have Karma Scenes ? I have bumped into 15 kits + Patterns that have evolving scenes.

I dunno. I suppose you'll just have to try out each kit with KARMA turned on. I would suspect that most or all of them have something programmed. On my M3, all of the drum kits have KARMA scene variations. Also, note that the pads have drum sounds assigned to them, and typically pad 8 is set to re-trigger the GE immediately. If you have a Nanopad attached to your Kronos, you can create minor variants or fills on the fly with your pads. Plus you'll have 8 more pads to use with your nano.

Another thing to try with KARMA is to switch to a different drum GE. You might want turn on Keep RTC Setup in the Load GE Options screen to preserve the scene changes. When you're done, set it back to Auto RTC Setup.

One more thing to try is changing the Note Map table on P7: KARMA - Module Parameters-Control screen. Set the Mode to On-All, and then cycle through the various note map tables. You'll get some nice variations on the original pattern from this (works good on the KARMA drum fills you found as well). The first few dozen note map tables are designed for drums.

But again, you'll need to set aside some time to experiment with these things to see if any of these things will work for your songs now or in the future. If you're feeling adventurous, drop your drum kit into the sequencer and record everything as you experiment just in case you stumble upon anything good. Play it back and if there's anything useful, then create a user drum pattern out of it for later use. It's a time trap, but usually an enjoyable one. For me, anyway. :)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. I have Nanopad. No , I am not finding much Karma drum scene variation. I have been thru +300 kits/patterns.

Hunt and hunt is time consuming. I will check in with Karma labs.

Your ideas are excellent. I appreciate your time, typing everything out.

You have saved me a ton of time. Possibly a bunch of money I might have spent elsewhere.

Thanks !
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

OK, I don't have a Kronos -- really wish I did have one -- so I can't check to see which kits have KARMA scenes and I won't be of much help there. Sorry.

For the kits you have that don't have any KARMA going on, one thing you might try is loading up a drum kit that does have KARMA programmed, and then going to Global > P0: Basic and uncheck the Load KARMA settings when changing setting for Programs at the top right of the screen. Doing this keeps the current KARMA settings and will apply them to any new program you choose. Then you can freely switch to other drum kits and hear how those sound with that KARMA drum GE. Obviously, it will be the same patterns from first kit you chose, but each kit will handle those somewhat differently. You never know what might come of it...

This feature is really useful for any type of program, like synths and such, and for trying out a KARMA GE that you really like on other programs. KARMA should keep playing as you switch sounds, too, which is nice. If you like what you hear, you can save your program into a new slot and it will keep that GE when you save. Then go back to Global and re-check the box when you're done. It can be a bit wonky doing this for combis, though, but sometimes it's interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: