Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume on midi bass pedalboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Volume on midi bass pedalboard Reply with quote

Hi Folks.... Struggling with a puzzle here!

I'm using a bass pedalboard to play one of the timbres of a combi, I have the timbre set to midi channel 3 and it plays fine but I can't get my expression pedal to control the volume of that timbre. The pedal controls all the other timbres (or at least the one's set to 'Enable for Pedal' on Midi Filter P3) but not the timbre controlled by the pedalboard.

I have the expression pedal set in Global to 'Volume (CC#7)', I realise that setting it to Master Volume would work but I need to be selective about which timbres it affects. I've been through all the menus multiple times but can't see anything that works... Any ideas?
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bass pedal needs to send the volume messages on the same MIDI channel as the timbre.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a Karma Midi I/O setup could work a solution...
yeskeys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a Karma module is indeed the solution. I had a similar problem a while back trying to use the sustain pedal on only one channel of a Combi. I'll post more when I track it down.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found what worked for me - adapt it to your situation..

thanks to mikeless for this explanation:

On Kronos, control information like sustain is only generated on the global channel Gch (which by default is channel 1), so the first thing you need to do is to relay that information to channel 2. This can be done with a Karma module: In the Karma setup screen, use any initialised module but make sure the Run, Thru In Zone, Thru Out Zone and Thru buttons are unticked. Set the input channel as your global channel (1) and the output as channel 2. When you enable Karma this will send control information like sustain to channel 2 also.

Secondly, if you don't want sustain on channel 1 sounds, then use the MIDI filters to disable damper for those timbres in the Combi.
Flashman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Your bass pedal needs to send the volume messages on the same MIDI channel as the timbre.

Thanks feller.... I'm not sure how that would work as the bass pedals don't have any connection to the expression/volume pedal so don't have any volume information to send. The expression pedal goes straight into the Kronos and controls all the other timbres. Thanks for the thought though.
Flashman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.... thanks guys, I'll look into the Karma module solution. That's really helpful, thanks so much!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashman wrote:
psionic311 wrote:

Thanks feller.... I'm not sure how that would work as the bass pedals don't have any connection to the expression/volume pedal so don't have any volume information to send. The expression pedal goes straight into the Kronos and controls all the other timbres. Thanks for the thought though.

No need for any expression/volume pedal connections.... MIDI CC 7 is all you need. You already have your bass pedals controlling the timbres... so they are already talking via MIDI. Problem is, your bass pedal is only sending CC7 on the global channel, but your the timbres you want to control volume on are not on the global channel.

So that's what I mean that you have to tell your bass pedals to send volume messages on the same MIDI channel as the channel your timbres are on. It may or may not be possible to set this separately on your foot pedal. Which bass pedals do you have? The FCB1010 or the Roland foot pedals?

And as others have suggested here, you can also use KARMA to re-route your your Global messages to the channel of your timbres. Hopefully they'll post the how-to's pretty soon.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try to augment my earlier post regarding using a Karma module to solve this:

On Kronos, control information like volume is only generated on the global channel Gch (which by default is channel 1), so the first thing you need to do is to relay that information to channel 3. This can be done with a Karma module: In the Karma setup screen, use any initialized module but make sure the Run, Thru In Zone, Thru Out Zone and Thru buttons are unticked. Set the input channel as your global channel (1) and the output as channel 3. When you enable Karma this will send control information like volume to channel 3 also. Now, since you don't want volume control on channel 1 sounds (and/or other sounds), then use the MIDI filters to disable volume for those timbres in the Combi.

I hope this helps. It worked for me when I was trying to do the same thing - except applied to the sustain pedal, not volume.
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
Flashman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yeskeys, that makes more sense now. I'm a bit of a newcomer to the Kronos and haven't delved into Karma yet but it's a good learning process trying to work these things out so that's really helpful. I'll get stuck into the manual and menus and hopefully will get it solved... thanks for the help!

Thanks also to psionic. My bass pedals are the Hammond SPK-130G (bought for my SKX) which don't seem very configurable... I'll investigate further though if I get stuck! Thanks for your time. Smile
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashman wrote:
My bass pedals are the Hammond SPK-130G (bought for my SKX) which don't seem very configurable... I'll investigate further though if I get stuck! Thanks for your time. Smile

I glanced at the manual for your unit, and I think I see the issues.

1) The Hammond SPK-130G does not transmit MIDI CC 11 expression / volume info (check the MIDI chart on the last pages of the manual).

2) Your expression pedal attachment is not a MIDI pedal; it's electrical, like a traditional expression pedal. So it needs to talk electrically to the Kronos, via the pedal input jack.*

Therefore, in order to use your expression pedal to control the volume of timbres on the Kronos, you will need to rig something up. If you're not using the SPK's internal sounds (and therefore don't need to control their volume), then you can just figure out how to run the cable from your expression pedal into the Kronos pedal input jack.*

On the other hand, if you want to control the expression volume on both your foot pedal and the sounds from the Kronos, you'll need to make a Y cable. This is tricky, and you may need to consult someone handy with making cables.

Be very careful though: do NOT combine two cables into any input jack! It's ok to split an output into 2 separate leads, but the reverse is not true -- do NOT make a Y cable that takes 2 sources and Y's them together into 1 in order to plug into an input jack (like a pedal input). It can cause electrical damage. It's akin to taking 2 guitarist's patch cable, splicing them together, and then plugging into one Marshall amp jack. Bad.

* If you've already got the foot pedal expression cable going into the Kronos pedal jack, then it's just a matter of selecting the correct settings in GLOBAL mode and in the timbres. Let us know if that's the case and we can get you resolved pretty quickly.
Flashman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
Let me try to augment my earlier post regarding using a Karma module to solve this:

On Kronos, control information like volume is only generated on the global channel Gch (which by default is channel 1), so the first thing you need to do is to relay that information to channel 3. This can be done with a Karma module: In the Karma setup screen, use any initialized module but make sure the Run, Thru In Zone, Thru Out Zone and Thru buttons are unticked. Set the input channel as your global channel (1) and the output as channel 3. When you enable Karma this will send control information like volume to channel 3 also. Now, since you don't want volume control on channel 1 sounds (and/or other sounds), then use the MIDI filters to disable volume for those timbres in the Combi.

I hope this helps. It worked for me when I was trying to do the same thing - except applied to the sustain pedal, not volume.

Well I finally found time to have a proper go at this (Karma module solution) and it works perfectly. Took me a bit of trial and error to get it working exactly how I wanted but it wasn't as hard as I feared in the end... And I've learnt a lot more about the Kronos in the process so it's a double win!

Thanks again yeskeys for the very helpful solution (and everyone else for their suggestions).
yeskeys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you got it working. While I appreciate the thanks, I was merely passing on info that I myself learned on this forum. Good people up here.

I set up a Yamaha MFC1010 foot controller on my M3. I set the first 8 footswitches as momentary, which I then assigned to trigger the 8 touchpads, which would play as long as I held the footswitch down.
Then I set up switch 9 to turn Karma on and off. I think I set it to latch.
I set up the last switch to Latch Karma on or off.
Then I had the sweepable pedal assigned to sweep through the 8 Karma Scenes - I had the travel of the pedal divided into 8 discrete evenly spaced zones so it was easy to dial in the scene I wanted.

I did all this so I could play the guitar and add synth and Karma-fied percussion/loops with my feet. During rhythmic Karma patches, usually I'd restart the pad every couple measures to stay in sync with my drummer. It all worked great, I'll set it up on my Kronos once I can tear myself away from playing it.

Note I set all this up without using Karma modules for any of the programming, I was simply using MIDI CCs (continuous controllers). I'm not gigging now, but this system is amazing if you are just playing and want your Karma band to follow YOU -
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey yeskeys, that's a pretty nifty use of your foot pedals!

I did something very similar with my FCB1010, but just used it to trigger the 8 pads. Most of my cover song Combis have notes and chords assigned to the pads, which I then trigger with my feet when I need a 3rd hand playing keys or when I'm playing bass guitar and want some keyboard parts at the same time (a la Geddy style).

Now that I'm not gigging for awhile, I think I'll re-purpose my foot controller to do some one man band KARMA stuff like you've got.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 - I'm trying to find the thread where you break down some FM/MOD7 techniques - something about opening a window and stepping through a bunch of waveshapers(?)...can you point me to it? I'm ready to start exploring MOD7....
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: