Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos Doesn't Boot up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
witmer26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos Doesn't Boot up Reply with quote

Hi. I have a Korg Kronos and 95% of the time it stops booting at the S in "Music" which appears to be a common freeze spot. Took it to authorized dealer but they couldn't figure it out. Searching this forum I checked the following:

1) Loose screws
2) Reinserted RAM plushly.
3) Checked that fan is working
4) Checked for loose wires / connections
5) Checked gold pin integrity.
6) Checked for general damage

Any idea on where to go from here (besides returning to service center?). Also, the two inputs for audio recording are out (static when recording a mic) but that has been the case for awhile and the keyboard still booted fine.

Noticed the red/black wire connector in the below pic is disconnected but perhaps that is by design?

On a separate note, the SSD thick Red Cable didn't seem disconnected.

A few more images of keyboard are here:
https://keyboard-images.webflow.io/

Many thanks for any advice,
Mark

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks fine from the pics at first glance. The free connector is for a second SSD, so nothing wrong there either. The boot-up sequence freezes pretty early, so my first suspicion would be about the motherboard or one of its components, but I could be wrong.

Personally, if it's someone at Korg service who referred you that "authorized dealer", I would call them back quickly to tell them there are not able to fix your unit, which doesn't make much sense to me. Of course, this is not Korg's fault, but again if it was their advice they have to know that this place is not worth being called an authorized service center and that they must provide you another place where they can fix it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give more detail and history on your K

which model, what year purchased. ?

Purchased new or used ?

Do you gig or was it gigged prior.

tell us about your SSD - all of them, and whats available

History and details provides more clues. Since we are not there in person
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your hard drive might need to be reformatted

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplug all USB cables.

Unplug power cable

Wait a few seconds. Plug power cable in again.

Try rebooting.

If it works now plug in USB cables again.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week you were attempting to upgrade to the latest OS. Did you perform the upgrade? If so, I wonder if that has something to do with it. Did you have this problem before upgrading?
witmer26

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Responses to Comments Reply with quote

Hi. Many thanks for the support. I will respond to each comment in this message:

The keyboard was purchased three years ago and kept for home studio use only without traveling/jostling. It was purchased used from a recording studio that was smoke free in California.

The model is Kronos X 88 key. I believe I upgraded the RAM to the max. however the upgrade was in place for two years and had no issues up until recently. The SSD is factory issued.

I had used both O.S. 2 and 3 before the problem began, and after the problem began as a way to see if the problem would occur on both the previous and latest O.S. It performs the same on either O.S. version.

Tried reformatting harddrive but did not work. Scanned USB flashdrives connected for viruses and unplugged them; they were clean.

The only thing I can think is that whatever damage was done previously to the audio inputs (input 1 and 2 are nothing but static), perhaps the same thing that caused that got worse and caused the boot issue. Hard to tell since the audio input recording sideboard is on top of another smaller motherboard component.

I will take it back to the repair shop (four hours away) but this forum will/has provide(d) me some guidance and knowledge to assist with assessing the issue. Many thanks!

Mark
witmer26

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

Was able to get it to boot five times in a row with no issues now after doing the following. Took the thick red hard drive cable and disconnected from SATO 0 on the motherboard and connected to SATO 1. Although the connection did not appear damaged or disconnected, this single act has resulted in five consecutive boots. Hopefully this lasts.
Docewil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx-Did the trick here too. My Kronos booted only each second time.
Now it seams to boot each time!
The Hiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Success! Reply with quote

witmer26 wrote:
Was able to get it to boot five times in a row with no issues now after doing the following. Took the thick red hard drive cable and disconnected from SATO 0 on the motherboard and connected to SATO 1. Although the connection did not appear damaged or disconnected, this single act has resulted in five consecutive boots. Hopefully this lasts.

I'll have to try this, as I've been having the same issue and really didn't feel like taking it in to my tech (Who also couldn't 100% diagnose the problem, just "tightened all the components he could" and that managed to get it working for a year or two)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Success! Reply with quote

The Hiryuu wrote:
witmer26 wrote:
Wats.

I'll have to try this, as I've been having the same issue and really didn't feel like taking it in to my tech (Who also couldn't 100% diagnose the problem, just "tightened all the components he could" and that managed to get it working for a year or two)

I know its not easy for a tech to work on a Kronos when the problem is intermittent. The problem is Not your tech, IMO.

try the fix and post back. Thanks
The Hiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Success! Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I know its not easy for a tech to work on a Kronos when the problem is intermittent. The problem is Not your tech, IMO.

try the fix and post back. Thanks

I know, I wasn't blaming him or anything. More stating that I didn't feel like paying $60 to do something that might have a quick fix I could do for free.

For the record, it worked (for now at least?)
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of you having booting problems and you have checked everything else i would suggest to try changing the sata cable with a new one.
Most of the times it is not the port that has loosen but the contacts on the cable.
I have had this problem on a lot of Intel ATOM boards like the one the kronos has and every single time, changing the cable with a new one (less than 2 euros here) worked and still works after years...
Changing to the second port of the motherboard worked too some times but it started occurring again after some months.

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
witmer26

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: That worked, thanks! Reply with quote

As anticipated, the issue eventually recurred. I changed the SATA red cable out with a new one. Now I use it daily and have been without issues for weeks (it works). Thanks a lot!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi witmer,

Thanks for your follow-up, it will be useful for sure to other Kronos owners. Dancing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: