Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XVP-20 used with microArranger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laurie2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: XVP-20 used with microArranger Reply with quote

After using a Yamaha FC7 volume control for while I decided to buy the dedicated Korg XVP-20 to improve performance.
Having received it a couple of days ago I find three issues which do not seem right.

1. To get it to function in the proper direction I have to change the Pdl global setting on the microArranger to REV.

2. The Min setting of the potentiometer on the pedal has the same effect wherever it is set.

3. The pedal only varies the volume over the last 25% of travel

An ideas, comments would be very welcome.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I cannot speak for its use with the microARRANGER specifically, when using the XVP-20 as an expression pedal with other keyboards, such as the Kronos or M50, for example, the pedal's Expression jack needs to be connected to the keyboard's Assignable Pedal inputs using a stereo or TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) cable. A simple TS (Tip, Sleeve) mono cable will not work as intended. The Expression jack is unaffected by the position of the Min Vol control.

A second way of using the pedal would be to use an external amplifier or PA, ideally stereo, and connect the arranger's R and L/Mono audio outputs to the pedal's INPUT 1 and 2, respectively, and connect the pedal's OUTPUT 1 and 2 to the amplifier system's L and R inputs. The Min Vol control will now work as intended. Mono cables can be used for the connections to and from the pedal when using this method.

Laurie2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VOIP,
Yes, I should have mentioned that I used the stereo cable supplied with the XVP-20, so that’s not an issue
It seems odd that I have to reverse the polarity in the microArranger Global settings for a dedicated Korg pedal.

Videos on YouTube suggest it should work exactly as I have used it.
I have considered doing a factory reset on the microArranger to see if that makes any difference
I have submitted the details to the Korg technical team. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I have considered connecting through the line-outs to the amp., and I may end up doing that. However, as a retired engineer I like to explore all options, one at a time
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem odd about the polarity setting. Check that the cable between pedal and keyboard is fully inserted, and hasn't been damaged. Both have caught me out in the past.

Is the pedal function setting in Global set to Kb Expression? If so, the sound affected by the pedal should be loudest with the pedal in the "toe down/heel up" position.

Laurie2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: XVP20 Problem Reply with quote

Sorry for not replying before (hospital issues).
I have tried the PS setting in Global set to Master Volume and Keyboard Expression. The results are the same.
I have checked all cables for continuity and there is no shorting.
I tried the pedal to
1. Just control the keyboard volume
2. Connected though the line outs to one of my external amps.
In all cases the results are the same.
The inbuilt volume control on the pedal has no effect on setting the Min Volume, which it should, according to the rather brief instructions..
The pedal only controls volume over its last few degrees of travel even with all keyboard sliders set to maximum.
I have other keyboards and organs (not Korg) and this is the only pedal that operates over such a limited range. Even a Yamaha FC7 works better on the Korg than the supposedly dedicated XVP20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: