Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ableton's plays and stops with EMX-1 in Master

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gauss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Ableton's plays and stops with EMX-1 in Master Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using a EMX-1, (I may be wrong but) I put it Master in this project. I connected to Ableton live threw a midi-usb-thingy and managed to assure bpm synchro. Which is exactly what I want.

But, when i press Play on the Korg, Ableton plays too. And when I press Pause or Stop, Ableton stop too ! That is my problem.

I'd like Ableton to not respond to this command, to keep playing at the last EMX-bpm, meanwhile, I'm able to prepare next pattern.

So, I'd like to keep bpm sync and only that ; does it feel even possible ?

(To fill your curiosity : why not Ableton as Master ? Well, it seems EMX is a better master (bpm-latency) and also, we're two people playing live and the other one, the Ableton-person can't really does that during the set - no potar allowed, no time... but maybe, if this play/stop thing don't exist the other way, it may be the way...)

Thank you !
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ableton's plays and stops with EMX-1 in Master Reply with quote

gauss wrote:
Hi,

I'm using a EMX-1, (I may be wrong but) I put it Master in this project. I connected to Ableton live threw a midi-usb-thingy and managed to assure bpm synchro. Which is exactly what I want.

But, when i press Play on the Korg, Ableton plays too. And when I press Pause or Stop, Ableton stop too ! That is my problem.

I'd like Ableton to not respond to this command, to keep playing at the last EMX-bpm, meanwhile, I'm able to prepare next pattern.

So, I'd like to keep bpm sync and only that ; does it feel even possible ?

(To fill your curiosity : why not Ableton as Master ? Well, it seems EMX is a better master (bpm-latency) and also, we're two people playing live and the other one, the Ableton-person can't really does that during the set - no potar allowed, no time... but maybe, if this play/stop thing don't exist the other way, it may be the way...)

Thank you !

You should use Ableton Link, that's how I sync Maschinr with Ableton, both won't start when I press start but depending who come after will wait for the next bar to start which is handy. I'm not sure if you can change how long it has to wait.
Because you're using an external gear you should use an app that let you do this, there are plenty for iOs, Mac and Windows. I'm unable to make a proper search for you but you'll find with no problems.
Ableton Link sync via internet and I never had problems with it, I'm not 100% sure but I think you can sync offline too you just have to set up something. I suggest read the Ableton manual, everything is there, from their website they link the manual page
russellclarke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Instead of stopping the sequencer, could you just mute the audio channel the EMX is playing through?
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russellclarke wrote:
Quote:

Instead of stopping the sequencer, could you just mute the audio channel the EMX is playing through?

that's actually super easy with any cheap controller. And since they're two they can also use the headphone jacks for cue the Tribe.
Sometimes the answer is in semplicity.
gauss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy.irl.s !

Never stop the korg, and start each pattern with all parts mute is what I'm trying to do.

anyway I dont understand what you're saying about cue and geadphone, don't knowor it's a translation or korg-knowledge, is there a why to send soundonly threw headphone during a live set ?
russellclarke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to save the patterns with all the parts muted.

I think the headphones always get the same as the main output. If you want to monitor via headphones without sending audio to the FoH, you could mute the input channel the EMX is playing through.

Alternatively, you could connect outputs 3/4 to a small headphone amp and route all parts to output 3/4. You would need to route them to the main outputs one by one during performance. Also, you would not hear the FX this way, probably better the first way.

What is your hardware setup?
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russellclarke wrote:
You need to save the patterns with all the parts muted.

I think the headphones always get the same as the main output. If you want to monitor via headphones without sending audio to the FoH, you could mute the input channel the EMX is playing through.

Alternatively, you could connect outputs 3/4 to a small headphone amp and route all parts to output 3/4. You would need to route them to the main outputs one by one during performance. Also, you would not hear the FX this way, probably better the first way.

What is your hardware setup?

This!
gauss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually playing as you said, with all parts muted, never pushing these stop/play buttons ! I can't find any other way.

By my side, i have the EMX, 1/2 going to my mix table, then my kicks and some other sounds go out threw 3/4. 3 get to the table, 4 get to the table threw pedals and become two separated stereo channel.

Also, the midi goes to my friends PC, for the bpm synch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: