Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX problem: pattern selector knob acting erratic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrtingle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: EMX problem: pattern selector knob acting erratic Reply with quote

hello everyone, thanks in advance for reading. I've been meaning to reach out for help with this issue for years. Basically when I rotate the knob clock-wise/counter-clockwise the numbers go in either direction. Sometimes it's bad, other times it's unusable. And then every once in a while it works relatively normal.

I recorded a quick video to demonstrate
https://youtu.be/d4f_K8GnKDY

any help is much appreciated
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take this encoder apart and try to wipe off the contact lubricant, there might be too much of it.
I had the same problem, the encoder was skipping or sometimes turning in the opposite direction.

It's pretty easy to take the encoder apart, it's just 4 clamps that are holding the top half of it,
you should bend the clamps off a little bit a take out the top part (don't bend them too much so it will be easier to asseble the pot back again)

then wipe off the lubricant off the round wheel and assemble everything back again.

No soldering is required, just stable hands and a small flat screwdriver.
I did it several times, everything works fine.

Here is the wheel I'm talking about (looks similar)

http://hades.mech.northwestern.edu/images/2/22/Encoder_diagram.png
[/url]
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and under the wheel you will see small metal pins that contact with the wheel when you turn the encoder. Wipe off these pins too. They are small, be carefull, bon't bend them. I've used a piece of paper and a toothpick

Good luck
mrtingle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:
oh, and under the wheel you will see small metal pins that contact with the wheel when you turn the encoder. Wipe off these pins too. They are small, be carefull, bon't bend them. I've used a piece of paper and a toothpick

Good luck
thank you so much for your help! I was very cauitious about messing stuff up but i just got it back together and to my surprise it works perfectly now, I couldn't be happier. Now i'm just mad at myself for not dealing with this issue sooner. And after doing more research i've found that it's a common issue but thanks again for being helpful and not dismissive about it. It's hard to research a problem without knowing the proper terminology.
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's hard to research a problem without knowing the proper terminology.

You're welcome. Glad that it worked!
I've bought used cheap EMX and it had several problems: some buttons didn't work at all, encoder skipped values, ARP fader was barely moving (you had puch it really hard)

I've fixed them all though I'm not a technician. Just did some research and decided to try. So it works now as new, no prob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: