Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Korg organs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: King Korg organs? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Probably going to pull the trigger on a KK in the next few days, and wanted to ask what the general opinion is on the organs on the unit?
Can't find much on YT, and internet coverage seems to say that they are okay, but the leslie effect is not good.
What are people's thoughts? I have been looking at one as a cut-price replacement for my Nord Stage 2, which, while fantastic in some areas, sucks when it comes to synth stuff (and memory capacity for samples etc). Would consider a Kronos, but tried one today, and was rather underwhelmed with the sounds I heard (which surprised me, probably need to dig into it more).
Oli
Joe P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: King Korg organs? Reply with quote

Oli,

Like all the PCM sounds on the King Korg, the organs are useful. The Leslie sim could be better. You can't really edit them to any great extent, so you get something like "2nd Perc" and "3rd Perc" and I think there's a Ballad Organ and some others. The tube can warm them up a bit.

The action works well with the organ samples, you can get really fast repeat notes. You can use the pitch stick for Leslie speed control. I would think the CX3 engine in the Kronos would blow away any organ on the KK, though.

You don't buy the King Korg for organs, but they'll get you through a gig. Hope that helps!

Regards,
Joe
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, thanks for taking the time to reply, and your comments.
I bought one yesterday (black version), looking forward to trying it out, will see how it goes with the organs. As you say, though, they are not the main reason for having one.
Oli
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: King Korg organs? Reply with quote

omvibraphone wrote:
I have been looking at one as a cut-price replacement for my Nord Stage 2, which, while fantastic in some areas, sucks when it comes to synth stuff (and memory capacity for samples etc). Would consider a Kronos, but tried one today, and was rather underwhelmed with the sounds I heard (which surprised me, probably need to dig into it more).
I could see preferring King Korg to Nord Stage 2 or Kronos for VA synth stuff (though I don't think any of them suck).

Memory capacity for samples? King Korg has none.

King Korg organ is nowhere near what's in the Kronos OR the Nord.

VA synth + Organ + custom samples in a single board, I think the current options are Nord Stage 3, Korg Kronos, Kurzweil Forte or forthcoming PC4, though the Kurzweils are hammer action only.

Maybe consider using two boards, or a board in conjunction with something like an iPad...? Since you have the NS2, adding an iPad to that for more synth/sample options could be a cost effective way to go. The Nord's EXT function is designed for just that sort of thing.
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the input.
Yes, I already have an Ipad or two around, which I use for music making. Regarding organs, the Galileo app is great, and there are others for electric piano etc.
May well end up going for two synths (KK plus Kronos I guess), we will see how things develop.
Oli
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(A quick update for anyone who may be interested. Pulled the trigger on a Kk, loving the keyboard, and found a good set of hammond-style presets in a soundset by a guy called Hamish Macbeth via Youtube - I am not connected with him in any way, but am definitely enjoying his soundsets.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: