Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi / arp tempo drifting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blond

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Midi / arp tempo drifting Reply with quote

I’ve got a 16 and I cant get it to stop drift in tempo when I sync it to my DAW. Tried over midi, usb and using a volca. Also tried both cubase and ableton but the problem stays the same. First the arp needs to “catch up” to the tempo of the DAW and then in random phase keeps up with the tempo for a short while before it starts to drift.

Anyone had this issue? Any solution?
rgarner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, mine takes a while to lock on but then stays in.

It sounds like you need a return or repair Sad
Blond

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgarner wrote:
No, mine takes a while to lock on but then stays in.

It sounds like you need a return or repair Sad

Thanks for your jnput and im affraid you might be right. Damn, it sounds sooo good, just want to create stuff, not solve issues.
Blond

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

I went deeper into this and tried to trigger the Prologue with cubase own arp instead. I figured that would be a rock solid workaround while this issue gets resolved. I made a short noise click-sound and recorded about 30 sec. I then cut out three sections using the grid in cubase and lay them side by side. They should then be identical in timing with maybe a tiny shift in timbre due to analog gear etc but apart from that, it should in my book be pretty bang on copies laying side by side. Well, its not. They are quite far appart and its noticeable by ear as well. Not as much as when I had cubase only send clock and I ran the internal arp but still not as tight as one would excpect from a top tier synth dealing with midi 2019.

I got a screen dump if anyone is interested, could not put it up here though since I don't see any upload function?

I did this with the USB connection.

Sad thing is that I cant really use this synth now since my workflow is to have it running off some sequencer and I cant really feel sure that it will be tight by any standards. I would not like to spend hours cutting up and correcting timing afterwards because it randomly drifted in timing.

IT SOUNDS SO GOOD THOUGH![/img]
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blond wrote:
FYI

I went deeper into this and tried to trigger the Prologue with cubase own arp instead. I figured that would be a rock solid workaround while this issue gets resolved. I made a short noise click-sound and recorded about 30 sec. I then cut out three sections using the grid in cubase and lay them side by side. They should then be identical in timing with maybe a tiny shift in timbre due to analog gear etc but apart from that, it should in my book be pretty bang on copies laying side by side. Well, its not. They are quite far appart and its noticeable by ear as well. Not as much as when I had cubase only send clock and I ran the internal arp but still not as tight as one would excpect from a top tier synth dealing with midi 2019.

I got a screen dump if anyone is interested, could not put it up here though since I don't see any upload function?

I did this with the USB connection.

Sad thing is that I cant really use this synth now since my workflow is to have it running off some sequencer and I cant really feel sure that it will be tight by any standards. I would not like to spend hours cutting up and correcting timing afterwards because it randomly drifted in timing.

IT SOUNDS SO GOOD THOUGH![/img]

Have you tried it with 5 pin midi cables and nothing in between? Timing is very tight here but I don't use USB for clock or midi...Just for the editor. It's probably just me but I'm suspicious of USB for anything that needs to happen consistently in real time. Especially over a 3-5 minute time span as in a song.

Make sure you aren't creating a midi loop as well. This symptoms of a midi loop aren't always as obvious as doubled notes.

Good Luck!
Blond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried it with 5 pin midi cables and nothing in between? Timing is very tight here but I don't use USB for clock or midi...Just for the editor. It's probably just me but I'm suspicious of USB for anything that needs to happen consistently in real time. Especially over a 3-5 minute time span as in a song.

Make sure you aren't creating a midi loop as well. This symptoms of a midi loop aren't always as obvious as doubled notes.

Good Luck!

Yes, MIDI over DIN and USB, same story. Also sync from a volca. That stuttered and double-triggered.

I suspected MIDI loop at first but since its not even stable when I send notes from my DAW it could not be the case, right? I’ve experienced MIDI loops when playing a synth and the daw feeds it back creating wierd things but not when the daw is the only sender..?
Blond

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I sent it back after talking to Thomann support. They made a quick test on their unit in the shop and it had the same problem actually so it might be a thing bigger than just my unit..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: