Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Maintenance Suggestions + Nuclear Option

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonglow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Kronos Maintenance Suggestions + Nuclear Option Reply with quote

I have an original Kronos 88 that has performed almost flawlessly over the past seven years or so. Only one, maybe two, error messages upon startup in the entire time I’ve had it, and no lock-ups, freezes, stuck notes, etc. It’s been an incredibly stable, reliable workhorse of a machine for my gigging purposes.

The presenting problem is that one key (G#4) has a few small nicks along the sides (damaged from my ring) that I am thinking about getting replaced. If this note were not smack in the middle of the keybed I would probably just deal with it, but it can be a distraction at times. So when I take it in to the shop, since they will have the thing opened up, I was wondering if there were any “routine maintenance” issues anyone would suggest? Checking the SSD SATA and 24-pin RAM connections, along with a thorough cleaning, come to mind.

A larger issue is if I should be concerned with any “life expectancy” factors? The unit is getting rather long in the tooth, so I’m wondering if I should be worried about any component failure issues? If this is a concern, the intervention would be to get a new machine (Kronos 2). I’d rather not do this...as mentioned it’s been a wonderful keyboard...but I do understand that they don’t last forever.

Thanks for any recommendations!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Maintenance Suggestions + Nuclear Option Reply with quote

Moonglow wrote:
I have an original Kronos 88 that has performed almost flawlessly over the past seven years or so. Only one, maybe two, error messages upon startup in the entire time I’ve had it, and no lock-ups, freezes, stuck notes, etc. It’s been an incredibly stable, reliable workhorse of a machine for my gigging purposes.

The presenting problem is that one key (G#4) has a few small nicks along the sides (damaged from my ring) that I am thinking about getting replaced. If this note were not smack in the middle of the keybed I would probably just deal with it, but it can be a distraction at times. So when I take it in to the shop, since they will have the thing opened up, I was wondering if there were any “routine maintenance” issues anyone would suggest? Checking the SSD SATA and 24-pin RAM connections, along with a thorough cleaning, come to mind.

A larger issue is if I should be concerned with any “life expectancy” factors? The unit is getting rather long in the tooth, so I’m wondering if I should be worried about any component failure issues? If this is a concern, the intervention would be to get a new machine (Kronos 2). I’d rather not do this...as mentioned it’s been a wonderful keyboard...but I do understand that they don’t last forever.

Thanks for any recommendations!

I have the same exact. No problems.

IMO, a possible life expectancy item is the key bed. Or it might be a felt pad, I am not certain. You would know if your keys are super noisy.

Either way, the keys and mechanism get the most direct wear. That should be assessed. If I were you, try a Kronos 2 , 88 key to get some comparison/perspective.

I have no data on ' expected component ' wear. And I have watched for it. Thats actually fantastic news for our 7-8 yr old Kronos'.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t have a crystal ball, but I would hope that if you treat your Kronos well it should last a long time. I had a 19 year old Triton that was working perfectly when I sold it. I know they are different instruments, but I think the lifetime is based on how it’s treated and how often it’s played.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 year old Korg 01/Wfd - still in incredible condition. Korg usually builds these things to last. The only problem I've had was with the M3 - after about 5 or 6 years the touch screen digitizer went bad and I had to replace it. It was easy b/c there were dozens of other instances right around the same time of other people's touch screen digitizer failing, so it was a well known problem that had an easy and inexpensive solution. I haven't heard of such problems from the Kronos, perhaps Korg fixed the design flaw with the Kronos?
slowtrain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I opened up my X61 to put in a second SSD, I replaced the button cell battery on the motherboard and the fan with a Nanoxia Deep Silence Fan 60mm 2000rpm Cooling fan, NDS60-2000. I had to extend the wiring harness that came with the fan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: