Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Trinity owner - lots of questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zozoty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: New Trinity owner - lots of questions Reply with quote

Hi - I have recently come into possession of a Trinity Pro X 88 key. It came with nothing - no floppies or manuals. When I boot it, it says it is version 2.1.0, and it has 3 banks, A, B, and S. It was in rough shape but I have spent several hours cleaning it up. Everything appears to work except the output jacks, which seem static-y. Is this something that can be fixed easily? I have basic soldering skills if someone can point me to a youtube video or something.

Also, the front panel that extends across the synth below the keybed (the one where the disk drive is) seems to be held on with duct tape - there are places on the bottom to put screws but all the screws are missing. I used a Korg Triton LE for years and remember not being able to find replacement screws for ones that had gone missing - Korg must use some weird size. Does anyone know what size these screws might be? Or can someone take a picture that would at least give me a starting point?

Is there any other impending maintenance you think it might need? I know the battery may die and I may lose all the programs which could be a problem given I don't have the floppies or any computer where I can download and make floppies. And it seems that unlike the triton, there is no way to manually navigate the screen using buttons - so if the touchscreen goes, I am SOL -- is that correct?

We were hoping to use this synth as part of our high school marching band program (where we used the Triton for years until it died) but I am a little leery about taking a touchscreen outdoors - the band typically doesn't take the electronics out in rain but we do encounter drizzle/fog/humidity and bright sun etc. I can't imagine that will be too kind to a 25 year old touchscreen.

Finally, I can't seem to find a voicelist for this version -- Korg's website only has a voice list for V3, which has different banks (M instead of S, I think). Does anyone know where I could find the voice list for my version?

Thank you so much for putting up with all my stupid questions!
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trinity owner - lots of questions Reply with quote

zozoty wrote:
Hi - I have recently come into possession of a Trinity Pro X 88 key. It came with nothing - no floppies or manuals. When I boot it, it says it is version 2.1.0, and it has 3 banks, A, B, and S.

Congrats. The A & B banks are sample-based programs, while the S-bank (Solo-TRI) gives you monophonic analogue/physical-modelling similar to the Triton's "Moss" (albeit Moss is polyphonic).

When you switch on the Trinity, does it mention any additional modules, like PBS-TRI, HDR-TRI, SCSI-TRI, ADAT-TRI?

The latest version for Trinity Pro is 2.4.1 if you wished to update it. However you would need a PC or Apple with an integrated or USB floppy disk drive, and floppy disks, to update it (it's only a one-time operation though, so once it's done, it's done).

Quote:
Is there any other impending maintenance you think it might need? I know the battery may die and I may lose all the programs which could be a problem given I don't have the floppies or any computer where I can download and make floppies.

New floppy disks are inexpensive. Grab some from eBay or the like, make sure they're 1.44mb and high-density. The floppy disks will allow you to save PCGs for backup or in case of battery failure, load banks of entirely new patches, including restoring the factory presets (whenever needed), as well as updating the operating system (as mentioned above).

Quote:
And it seems that unlike the triton, there is no way to manually navigate the screen using buttons - so if the touchscreen goes, I am SOL -- is that correct?

Sadly that is correct, unless you have it hooked up to a PC via MIDI and use the free Trinitro librarian application or similar. However, I've had my Trinity for over 20 years now, and the LCD is working great with no problems.

Quote:
We were hoping to use this synth as part of our high school marching band program (where we used the Triton for years until it died) but I am a little leery about taking a touchscreen outdoors - the band typically doesn't take the electronics out in rain but we do encounter drizzle/fog/humidity and bright sun etc. I can't imagine that will be too kind to a 25 year old touchscreen.

Unsure as I've only used Trinity in home studio! I do know that electronics and water don't mix, though, a deluge would be brutal.

Quote:
Finally, I can't seem to find a voicelist for this version -- Korg's website only has a voice list for V3, which has different banks (M instead of S, I think). Does anyone know where I could find the voice list for my version?

The only documentation I have I have placed in the Trinity Manual Compilation: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45892
MMTGuy28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT allow an LCD like that to be exposed to UV for long periods. It will damage it.

As for the static on the outputs. I recently picked up a Trinity with a dead left channel. As it turned out, it was just bad internal connections. Korg used some less than robust connectors during this time period. I found that simply moving the output cable into a new position took care of the problem. I may have to really fix it at some point but it sounds perfect now. I simply tied the audio out cables to another cable bunch with an nylon wire tie.

I can't attach images here so PM me and I'll send you a photo of the fix. Yours might have the same problem as mine initially sounded distorted as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: