Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Note dropout in early Kronos models
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrutil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:

Replacement is a fairly straightforward task.

This is one video that may help with the actual proceedure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB8ASrfKkcE

Thanks, that video is a good reference.
I ordered a set of 7 strips and will follow up here when I get to actually do the upgrade.

Thanks,
C
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
Chrutil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Surgery was successful!
My Kronos went under for about 45 minutes, while I ripped out the insides, one piece at a time.
I replaced the original pink rubber strips with the new blue ones.
It's not very complicated, and after trying it out it feels better! (yay!)
I recorded the whole ordeal -
It's a long and slow 45 minute video, and if you enjoy watching me use a screwdriver you can see the whole thing, but I always find it better to let the user fast forward instead of me editing out time, since you get a better feel for how long this actually took.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf79jJojbig
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
JFree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a perplexing one. I have one of the early Kronos-the keybed had problems when I got it, it was replaced. It's been fine. I had things apart to change a bent hammer and some felts. When I put it back together the note cut off problem had reappeared. I figured contacts are cheap-I'll replace. Well, no luck, I've got the cutoff problem again. I've tried checking/reseating contacts and nothing. Any thoughts?
bwinterstine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Kronos 73 Keys Reply with quote

I just bought my used Kronos in December. I didnt notice the key double strike problem until a week later because I wasn't using it over the holiday. After the holiday, I reloaded all the factory setting and installed the latest OS 3.1.3.

I started setting up combi settings and building set lists...the key problem was very noticeable. I researched the issue and decided I needed to replace the contact strips. But, no one has the strips in stock. The Korg repair instructions for this issue also requires setting the type of keyboard in the firmware using the system test mode. I set the keyboard type to KB1 and restarted the Kronos. It is 99% better and I didnt change the strips.UPDATE: It is not any better with only the firmware setting. I NEED TO CHANGE THE RUBBER STRIPS WHEN THEY ARE BACK IN STOCK. THE PROBLEM IS MORE NOTICEABLE ON PIANO PROGRAMS (TO ME).

I still intend on replacing the strips when they are available but everyone needs to be aware of this keyboard type setting in the Test Mode menus. If you have updated your OS you need to make sure you select the correct type of keyboard. Mine was set to "normal" but needed to be set to "KB1".

Last edited by bwinterstine on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:50 pm; edited 11 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the original K from 2011 ?

The Kronos 2 came out in 2015.

Just to avoid confusion.
bwinterstine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...Original Kronos from 2011. It has the pink key contact strips. But, it never had the OS firmware updated until I installed it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwinterstine wrote:
Yes...Original Kronos from 2011. It has the pink key contact strips. But, it never had the OS firmware updated until I installed it.

You have a beef with your seller.
He had a window of opportunity to get the contact strips replaced.

The history on the batch of defective keypads from 2011 is well documented here.

OS won't fix it. Sorry you have this headache. Push back on your lazy seller.
bwinterstine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said about the seller. But, in the end its easier for me to just fix it...no big deal assuming m
I can get the parts. The parts are in backorder and I was told that dont know when to expect them in. This last info is a little disturbing.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwinterstine wrote:
I agree with everything you said about the seller. But, in the end its easier for me to just fix it...no big deal assuming m
I can get the parts. The parts are in backorder and I was told that dont know when to expect them in. This last info is a little disturbing.

I agree with you. I have the 2011 model, 88 keys. Eventually or sooner I will need to have my contact strips replaced. Korg is required to have a supply of parts available. But when they have a snag, your auth repair outfit should be forthcoming with ETA data. They can call the US distributor, Korg uSA and assert WTF is going on ?
bwinterstine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted their parts supplier, PartsIsParts . They are the ones that told me the part is on back order. They should send me an email when it is back in stock.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwinterstine wrote:
I contacted their parts supplier, PartsIsParts . They are the ones that told me the part is on back order. They should send me an email when it is back in stock.

I know they are Korg authorized for parts. Its not their only niche. They made their name in guitar and amp parts.

Hopefully, its not a big delay.
average_male

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some online sellers of the contact strips note the color of the foot of the key hammer being tied to the contact strips needed for your board, like if the hammer foot color is white or gray, you need such and such colored contact strips.

Or would any newly manufactured contact strips work regardless of the contact strips color and the color of the feet on the key hammers of your board?

Thanks
JFree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of pink contact strips for an 88 that I just bought, but do not need. I installed them, but they are not used other than a test. I also have another set that were in the keyboard that are used but worked fine. I'm happy to sell the new ones at a discount, and the others I'll give to someone if you cover the shipping.
mrvegas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang,

I'm finally getting around to doing this repair!

On the Parts Is Parts website, they are selling two different options on the plastic strips. The first option is as follows:

For use on keybeds with white or gray plastic foot mounted on the hammers for the white keys

The section option is as follows:
For use on keybeds with black plastic foot mounted on the hammers for the white keys

I'm pretty sure my 73 note Kronos was the earliest version and bought around 2011. Should I order the first option or the second option?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: