Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copy Preset Drum Pattern to COMBI or SEQUENCER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davekalbach

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Copy Preset Drum Pattern to COMBI or SEQUENCER Reply with quote

Newbie here - so please go easy on me - I have searched and came up wanting...

I am working with a Combi (narfsounds) and I'd like to add a drum track. As it turns our Korg already created the track I want Pattern 450, Kit 106. Its the default pattern for the Program Sweet Dreams.

I have been trying to copy that pattern for use with another Combi. I have gotten close, but when I get the drum pattern in, I end up with some patterns on the 4th timbre where synth keys are to be played.

This has to be simpler than I am making it out to be. I just want to use the pre-programmed dum pattern with my own Combi, or SEQ.

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Copy Preset Drum Pattern to COMBI or SEQUENCER Reply with quote

davekalbach wrote:
Newbie here - so please go easy on me - I have searched and came up wanting...

I am working with a Combi (narfsounds) and I'd like to add a drum track. As it turns our Korg already created the track I want Pattern 450, Kit 106. Its the default pattern for the Program Sweet Dreams.

I have been trying to copy that pattern for use with another Combi. I have gotten close, but when I get the drum pattern in, I end up with some patterns on the 4th timbre where synth keys are to be played.

This has to be simpler than I am making it out to be. I just want to use the pre-programmed dum pattern with my own Combi, or SEQ.

does the NArf Combi already have a drum track/pattern ?

Have you used all 16 midi channels ?

Anyway, you have the details- just add your drum kit to a midi channel. Go to drum pad, add your patter. And assign the midi channel of your drum kit.

Many Drum kits/patterns use midi channel 10 and have a global channel for the input channel. Set up how you want to trigger the drum pattern - in the drum pad tab
davekalbach

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's where I'm getting stuck

The drum pad is only in the PROGRAM, I can't seem to access it from COMBI or SEQ

I did try creating a SEQ and yes, laid the drum pattern on track/channel 10. Bu for some reason the drum pattern plays a sound on channel 4 as well.

Basically I have been trying to Open the Program with desired drum track. Then switch to SEQUENCER, copy from PROGRAM (To: MIDI TRK 10 Dum TRK - MIDI TRK 10)

From there I copy the "good" COMBI that I want.

When finished I have the COMBI, the Drum Pattern, but it picks up an additional sound on TRK 4. Plays the Base Drum Beat as an Synth Sound. (I should note TRK 4 is Lead Synth)

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davekalbach wrote:
Maybe that's where I'm getting stuck

The drum pad is only in the PROGRAM, I can't seem to access it from COMBI or SEQ

I did try creating a SEQ and yes, laid the drum pattern on track/channel 10. Bu for some reason the drum pattern plays a sound on channel 4 as well.

Basically I have been trying to Open the Program with desired drum track. Then switch to SEQUENCER, copy from PROGRAM (To: MIDI TRK 10 Dum TRK - MIDI TRK 10)

From there I copy the "good" COMBI that I want.

When finished I have the COMBI, the Drum Pattern, but it picks up an additional sound on TRK 4. Plays the Base Drum Beat as an Synth Sound. (I should note TRK 4 is Lead Synth)

I don't know how NArf does his combis.
It sounds like he has midi channel 4 and 10 working together. And he could have used Karma, really lots of guess work

Looking at the Track Parameter tab should show you what he did.

So I suggested a manual approach instead of copy. Typically drums don't use individual FX so a manual add to a midi channel in SEQ mode is easiest.

However , if there is use of Karma, that changes my suggestion
davekalbach

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I found the culprit - In MIDI Parameters TRK 4 is set to Gch? I'm not sure what that is. If I change the value, the unwanted sound disappears, but with it so does my lead synth.

I tried building a new sequence fro scratch - I copy the Drum Pattern/Kit from Program to TRK 10, it plays just fine. When I then copy from COMBI I can no longer utilize the Drum Track button.

Sounds like its somethign in the Combi

-- EDIT --

I'm about to give up on the challenge. Looks like every time. I bring the COMBI in I lose the drum pattern. The COMBI does use RPPR, and I think that's causing the issue

davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I got it!!!

Had to Copy the COMBI first - then assign the drum pattern, the COMBI was over-riding everything.

Second issue was MIDI Output was set to 02 (didn't realize I had to change it)

This wasn't my discovery - creator of the Sound Pack helped me fix it. But thank you all for your efforts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: