Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg EM-1 Midi-Ox Sysex Dump (sending and receiving)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travelinni

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Korg EM-1 Midi-Ox Sysex Dump (sending and receiving) Reply with quote

Hello .
I just got a korg em-1 and i need some help regarding this and midi-ox.

What are the proper Sysex config buffer settings to send and receive midi dumps for the EM-1?
(it's giving me the classic not enough memory error/changed both to 64 it was slow but didn't change a thing in the EM-1 unless the dumps I done weren't done right hence the golden question.)

I did a few midi dumps to pc , GLB should save the whole thing , should it not?
It takes only a few bytes which i think it shouldn't.

I tried dumping pattern sets A,B,C and D one by one and there it seemed to work since you'll see the electribe screen spinning signal and it takes a lot more data than the GLB one .

What i need help with is :
I want to save everything in one file only , so I suppose it's the GLB but something must not be right.
And then I also want to be able to send it back to the EM-1 because I want to make a lot of songs so I can save my songs on PC and load them back in the EM-1 as necessary.

Help please.

My midi interface is a Midiman usb midisport 2x2.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nobody has no idea how to save the patterns to pc and reload them back again?
Well, I guess I'll have to find the solution myself.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you just record midi pattern by pattern...by the time you wait an answer you could do already
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
why don't you just record midi pattern by pattern...by the time you wait for an answer you could do already

Hi Doctor.
Are you referring to using the EM-1 as a sound source hooked by midi and composing songs with a DAW?
If that's the case it's completely different because I prefer to compose the songs in the EM-1 and recording the audio or multitrack instruments with a DAW.
It's also fun to sample instruments and use them in a music tracker especially making .mods with an Amiga.
I already have composed 2 songs with my EM-1. But everything is saved in the EM-1 itself so that's why I'm asking for help regarding this matter because someday I'll probably use all of its internal memory or song limit and I don't want to lose the projects I have made in it.
So using Midi-Ox and transferring all the data to my computer would be ideal just like the EMX-1 for example you can save all your data in a SmartMedia or sd card , save all your work and keep it in your computer so in that way you will have new room in the instrument to compose more music and not losing the work you have done and if you want to reload them again you can.

So if someone knows the exact specs and best way to transfer the data , save it and then reload them back in the EM-1 would be great.
Midi-Ox gives the memory limit error when transferring the Sysex data back to the EM-1.
I've put a higher buffer number so it doesn't give you the memory limit error but the EM-1 seems to freeze in the ending process , so if someone knows the buffer size that works with EM-1 would be appreciated.
I looked everywhere over the internet regarding this matter and I couldn't find anything about it and that's why I had to come here looking for support.

If nobody knows about this I will be forced to contact Korg and see if they can actually give me some support regarding this.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
why don't you just record midi pattern by pattern...by the time you wait an answer you could do already

And also because sending midi with a daw won't save the pattern data done in the EM-1 , all you'll have are the notes! That way it's not saving the instruments used, the motion sequencing , the effects used and the pattern order in the songs!
Sorry but to me that solution is completely pointless and useless!
Thanks anyways.

If no one knows about this here in the forums I will contact Korg.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding my situation I have contacted Korg (by email) about this so hopefully them or Midi-Ox forums or someone can help me.

I also read the manual and it says that the EM-1 is supposed to perform writing function after sysex receiving which is not happening at all.I spent last night looking everywhere and tried other 2 different programs apart from Midi-Ox and none works.
This is seriously frustrating and it's becoming tiresome but I hope that someone or at least Korg or someone at Midi-Ox can come up with a solution for this problem.

Last edited by Travelinni on Mon May 20, 2019 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Travelinni

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoned Korg UK.
Yeah. Thanks for nothing. Experiment with the buffer settings ( so I'm supposed to play bingo with the buffer settings and add random numbers now?) or it can be my midi interface sure... it's a 2x2 midiman which is approved for this kind of stuff or the software i mean , seriously? Korg doesn't even have the specs for this kind of stuff somewhere?
You guys (KORG) have posted and it's on your support page for the ER-1 a .sysex bank for it and you guys don't even bother helping customers.
Typical.

Least when I phoned Novation about fixing my Bass-Station Rack from 1995 (!) they were extremely helpful now this?

Korg ? More like %$£$%£$ BORG!

TheDoctor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelinni wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
why don't you just record midi pattern by pattern...by the time you wait for an answer you could do already

Hi Doctor.
Are you referring to using the EM-1 as a sound source hooked by midi and composing songs with a DAW?
If that's the case it's completely different because I prefer to compose the songs in the EM-1 and recording the audio or multitrack instruments with a DAW.
It's also fun to sample instruments and use them in a music tracker especially making .mods with an Amiga.
I already have composed 2 songs with my EM-1. But everything is saved in the EM-1 itself so that's why I'm asking for help regarding this matter because someday I'll probably use all of its internal memory or song limit and I don't want to lose the projects I have made in it.
So using Midi-Ox and transferring all the data to my computer would be ideal just like the EMX-1 for example you can save all your data in a SmartMedia or sd card , save all your work and keep it in your computer so in that way you will have new room in the instrument to compose more music and not losing the work you have done and if you want to reload them again you can.

So if someone knows the exact specs and best way to transfer the data , save it and then reload them back in the EM-1 would be great.
Midi-Ox gives the memory limit error when transferring the Sysex data back to the EM-1.
I've put a higher buffer number so it doesn't give you the memory limit error but the EM-1 seems to freeze in the ending process , so if someone knows the buffer size that works with EM-1 would be appreciated.
I looked everywhere over the internet regarding this matter and I couldn't find anything about it and that's why I had to come here looking for support.

If nobody knows about this I will be forced to contact Korg and see if they can actually give me some support regarding this.

When I want record my pattern, I use Ableton and Maschine but compose on the gear, I got template where I mapped any midi cc relative to the parameter and I can record easily everything. When I switch the pattern it will get the new midi information and that's it really.
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please reply if you will find out how to configure MIDI-OX correctly so you could reload .syx from PC to Electribe. I'm stuck Crying or Very sad
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I've found: http://electribe.cc/wp/2018/07/18/custom-samples/

There is an information that you should set delay time to 900 and this should help to start uploading .syx to electribe.

According to this web site you should have appropriate MIDI cable and not all of them work. I have the cheapest Chinese cable, and this is identified as NON working cable. Though I was able to succesfully save .syx data to my PC.

I will try to upload again with delay time 900 and see what happens

Travelinni, please inform me if you could finally do it
Thanks
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:
Please reply if you will find out how to configure MIDI-OX correctly so you could reload .syx from PC to Electribe. I'm stuck Crying or Very sad

Hi brother.
I am following my post regarding this matter in Midi-Ox forums and so far I've only had success on my windows 7 desktop pc transfering a simple global dump which is pretty much useless but it's the only thing working out so far.

Specs :
- Windows 7 Desktop PC
- Midi Interface : Midiman 2x2 midisport with latest M-audio drivers installed.

Midi-Ox output buffer - 128/32

Anything else doesn't work so far , pattern and song dumps are not working at all!

Here's my thread if you wish to follow it : http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=query;action=display;num=1558334569
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:

There is an information that you should set delay time to 900 and this should help to start uploading .syx to electribe.

Ok let me give it a shot and do the 900ms delay .

Quote:
According to this web site you should have appropriate MIDI cable and not all of them work. I have the cheapest Chinese cable, and this is identified as NON working cable. Though I was able to succesfully save .syx data to my PC.

I will try to upload again with delay time 900 and see what happens

Travelinni, please inform me if you could finally do it
Thanks

Yep I know that but that's not my case , I actually happen to own one of them. They're ok to make music but not for these things.

I'm using my midiman midisport 2x2 for SysEx dumping and transfers.
I use to have a roland jv1080 and it a dream compared to this thing but I have hopes we'll nail this thing down to a damn tick.
It's now nearly a week I've been trying to find a solution to this goddamn forsaken problem!
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bro

Quote:
Here's my thread if you wish to follow it : http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=query;action=display;num=1558334569

Thanks, I will follow that too

Quote:
It's now nearly a week...

It's more that a month for me Mad

Also, I thought that maybe it's worth to try another software, not MIDI ox
There is a midi software on the page I sent the link to

I'll try that with my shitty cable and maybe it would work... dunno
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:

It's more that a month for me Mad

Also, I thought that maybe it's worth to try another software, not MIDI ox
There is a midi software on the page I sent the link to

I'll try that with my shitty cable and maybe it would work... dunno

I fully understand the frustration and your anger about this. Same here man!

Yes there are two good programs for this or Midi-Ox or Bome Send SX.

So far i was only successful with both saving global dump and reloading on the EM-1.

The transfer is fast and at the end of the transfer you'll see the EM-1 performing the Write function all by itself which is what we want but with Pattern A , B , C , D and Song dumps (obviously).

I don't think it's due to any midi cable issues to be honest.
If your midi interface is class compliant it should do the job (not the chinese usb ones).

Last edited by Travelinni on Tue May 21, 2019 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Travelinni

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:

Cheers btw I didn't know about the 900ms delay but let's not forget this is related to the ER-1 and not the EM-1 but it might do the job , I will give it a shot.

PS - I also dropped a message to the Shaman if he will support the EM-1 maybe someday in the future and come up with really sweet ''hacks'' Very Happy
I would love the EM-1 to have the ''global delay'' attached after the main effects but without affecting the whole thing so we would have 2 efffect chains Smile

I think that Korg's really stupid by adding that global delay thing , to me it's absolutely useless but the delay effect is very good!

Regarding this ER-1 I think it's great but I wouldn't risk flashing mine to change samples he says there's a flash writing limit about 100,000 times or so.

If he's able to hack the EM-1 someday it's like i said: the global delay effect to me is absolute crap and it would be cool to add a main effect and link it to the global delay without affecting everything ... at least.

Oh and btw nice to meet another EM-1 owner.

I'll keep this topic updated about the Midi Dump problem.

Back to topic : so far I only had success dumping , saving Global SysEx and reloading it back to the Tribe.
Midi Interface : Midiman (M-Audio) Midisport 2x2
Software : Midi-Ox/Bome SysEx
Bome SysEx - Midi default speed
Midi-Ox - Low Output Buffers - 128/32

I had no good luck with my laptop with windows 10.
In Midi-Ox with output buffers 128/32 gives me memory error and the only one that seems to work is 64/32 which is really slow , they don't work not even the global dump worked and it was really dead slow.
Tried both Midi-Ox and Bome SysEx on it and also just keeps on freezing.
So:
Laptops and windows 10 are acting really strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: