Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step sequencers in COMBI mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Step sequencers in COMBI mode Reply with quote

I just found out you can have multiple timbres in your COMBI all playing their individual step sequencers at the same time!

Main limitation though is that only EXi programs have step sequencers.

I'm somewhat intimidated by the regular sequencer mode and trying to keep it simple for now. Fun having lots of programmed animation and riffs going on automatically.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Step sequencers in COMBI mode Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
I just found out you can have multiple timbres in your COMBI all playing their individual step sequencers at the same time!

Main limitation though is that only EXi programs have step sequencers.

I'm somewhat intimidated by the regular sequencer mode and trying to keep it simple for now. Fun having lots of programmed animation and riffs going on automatically.

You're right : only EXi have step sequencers. But, Wave sequences in HD1 can be set as a Step Sequencer.
On another side, as you told me yesterday on another thread, I guess it's possible to use the drum track as a step sequencer : using a sound instead of Drum kit and create a specific User Pattern !
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point on using the Wavesequencer as a step sequencer for HD-1 sounds. I'm currently exploring wavesequencing on the Kronos to see how far that rabbit hole goes.

The drum track as sequencer idea is ok, if you only intend to use a single program. But in combi mode, you no longer have access to the drum track pattern.

For me, the whole idea of using step sequencing in combi mode is so that you can play famous riffs and difficult parts live on stage. Like the Eurhythmics song Sweet Dreams or the synth intro to Zombie's More Human than Human.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Great point on using the Wavesequencer as a step sequencer for HD-1 sounds. I'm currently exploring wavesequencing on the Kronos to see how far that rabbit hole goes.

The drum track as sequencer idea is ok, if you only intend to use a single program. But in combi mode, you no longer have access to the drum track pattern.

For me, the whole idea of using step sequencing in combi mode is so that you can play famous riffs and difficult parts live on stage. Like the Eurhythmics song Sweet Dreams or the synth intro to Zombie's More Human than Human.

Yes, in Combi Mode, you do have access to Patterns too.
Here is an excerpt of the Parameters Guide, P. 456 :

Quote:
1–3: Drum Track
This page lets you set up the Drum Track, including the
Pattern, MIDI Channel, and trigger settings.
For more details, please see “Using the Drum Track in
Combination mode” on page 260 of the Operation Guide.
1–3a: Drum Pattern
Bank [Preset, User]
This selects between Preset and User Patterns.
The Patterns in the Preset bank are from the factory, and
can’t be changed.
The User bank Patterns are editable; you can load them from
disk, or create new ones in Sequencer mode.
Pattern [(Preset): P000…P718,
(User): U000…U999]
This chooses the Pattern from the selected Bank.

Concerning the experimentation, there is one I haven't tempted yet, but soon : the limitation of steps is 64. But nothing prevents us from sampling a first wavesequence and then using it as a first step of a new Wavesequence. In another word, it would be a Wavesequence of Wavesequence !!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you learn something new all the time. I never knew a Combi could play a drum track! I just tested and it works.

So now I'm exploring the Sequencer mode, which I hardly use. I loaded a Rock song template, used a few patterns up to measure 72. Now I'm looking to see if I can export it as a User Pattern.

If I can, this means I could create a whole song drum track, and use that with a combi, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: