Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias - SYSEX dumps & MIDI clock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMTGuy28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Radias - SYSEX dumps & MIDI clock Reply with quote

I have had an R3 for quite a few years and love the little beast for all it's hidden power. Just yesterday, I came across a Radias in practically mint condition for $325 at a local music shop! Needless to say I didn't ponder that purchase for long. I think you could spend a long time looking for a Radias in this kind of shape. It works perfectly and the USB drivers and even the Editor works on Windows 10.

My question is about SYSEX dumps. Dumping data back and forth over USB with the editor is actually quite fast and reliable - no real surprise there.

However, the editor does not allow saving data in a useful, universal form like SYSEX so I like to use Midi-Ox with my synths to keep backups of various banks and setups. You never know when old software will quit working, but SYSEX will always work.

I found that I was unable to dump ALLDATA, or ALLPROGS succesfully to MidiOx from the Radias over the normal DIN midi ports UNTIL I disabled the internal MIDI clock.

Is this well known? I understand that sending high density data and interleaving MIDI clock can be a problem. I've seen that before on other synths, so I guess the Radias has problems with that as well?

The SYSEX dumps, while very slow, do seem to be reliable now that I have disabled internal MIDI clock during the dumps.

Yes, I did look around the forum for SYSEX, CLOCK, etc. and didn't seen anything that seemed obviously related so if the answer is here already I just didn't find it - as opposed to being a lazy newb. Smile
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well I've seen that as well before with other devices (I've no Radias). So yes it is a well known problem.
But I'm not sure that it was related to the device, but in my experience it also had to do with my cheap USB-MIDI DIN cable.

For your SYSEX storage. Consider the following method.
* Hook the Radias up via the USB port (not the DIN)
* Launch the Editor
* Launch MIDI OX - set the MIDI IN port correct. The USB cable should present it something like Radias MIDI IN and Radias KBD/Sound. Choose the latter
* In MIDI OX, use then View|SysEx - SysEx|Receive Manual Dump
* Now in the Editor itself, choose MIDI|Receive all data

The editor will now request a fast SysEx dump over the USB to the board, if all goes well, that dump will also be seen by MidiOx. At least here it works with the mKXL. On the forum though, someone had problems that MIDI IN data of a board was either routed to MidiOx or Cubase....

Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: