Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Kronos successor - the good news
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: No Kronos successor - the good news Reply with quote

For me Korg has simply delayed a $3000 - $4000 expenditure and the significant time associated with transition from one keyboard to another (about 200 sequences) for another a year or two. Can't say that I'm not happy about that! And if there is another free OS update, as part of this latest SE, it would further demonstrate Korg's unrivaled continuing product support and development of the Kronos platform. Arguably the best for any keyboard in the modern era. And certainly a key consideration for current and prospective Korg users.

Based on their workstation history and the success of the Kronos, it is hard to believe that they are not developing a successor. The Kronos maintaining its relevance (almost dominance) as the premier hardware workstation keyboard for almost a decade, not only gives Korg more time to refine and enhance what they are no doubt developing, it also allows them to continue to sell the current Kronos further improving their ROA. All of which is good for Korg, current Kronos owners and potential Kronos successor owners.

It would be interesting to know how many current Kronos owners plan to purchase a significantly improved Kronos successor when released. Given the age of the Kronos line, many have had this keyboard for over 5 years and probably many more for longer than that. During its service life the Kronos has been continuously enhanced, improved and supported, almost for free. A 1st generation Kronos can be upgraded by the OS releases to a level of functionality that is the same as the current generation Kronos; think about that.

At some point Korg will decide the time is right. They are really good at knowing this. But until then Kronos owners still have the keyboard workstation that has no rival. So I for one, have no problem waiting. It doesn't cost anything and it will probably make the successor even better.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its difficult to speculate on speculation and no tangible development plans.

Just the same, my cutoff for patiently waiting for something tangible is March 1.

I also plan. Its difficult enough to plan out 1 year ahead - for 2019.

2020 considerations is pushing guess work further.

Looking in the rear view mirror is not indicative of future results.

There has been substantial internal changes at Korg since the founder died in 2011. The 'new' president has his own direction/priority on new products. And on how he utilizes his talented resources. I think the current direction of Korg provides more insight to their operational plans/priorities than the Korg we knew
2011 and prior.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may all be true, but Korg and the new president can't be oblivious to the success of Kronos and the potential success of a replacement. They make a lot more profit selling a flagship workstation than they do a Volca. Not to mention the brand prestige.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:
That may all be true, but Korg and the new president can't be oblivious to the success of Kronos and the potential success of a replacement. They make a lot more profit selling a flagship workstation than they do a Volca. Not to mention the brand prestige.

Specifically, we don't know the net profit of all Kronos sales. Unless you work at Korg and have the facts.

We have a very rough idea of unit sales. Even that rough estimate doesn't give us a fair view of the whole picture.

I worked at Sony for 9 years. I can confirm, that an electronic co will continue to ride the same old horse for 10 yrs or more, if it makes bottom line sense.

I think its fair to say there is some profit on a Kronos sales. My guess is the retailer sees a fair share of profit but doesn't see a large % of profit margin.

1 return on a defective board might wipe out profit for the next sale. Freight cost, back and forth is a tangible cost. Lost salesperson time, messing with returns and customer sat might be an indirect cost.

Nevertheless, for the retailers that offer Kronos, it must make bottom line sense
for them. Some retailers bundle other products with each Kronos sale. Which has to help their cause.

Back to Korg, Kronos is an assembled keyboard, we are not aware of the state/supply of the various components. A factory line is dedicated to Kronos
production. By now, Korg must be efficient with factory assembly.

Volca is lower risk product. Its practically a toy in comparison. It makes sense to offer the product. I think a volume of sales is critical for Volca.

You can get a sense of Korg's priorities are per NAMM 2018. And NAMM 2019.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds interesting and I like your take on this. It wouldn't make sense to come up just yet with a new kronos, but I'm puzzled even now by the launch of the SE. I was talking with a friend of mine (dealer) and we were both trying to fathom out this whole move, Even he couldn't get the whole paint job and sound libraries add on for the same machine. Wating on price confirmation.

anyway, we can live in hope that a Kronos OS update is launched at some point soon, pray to the keyboard gods.

lew

P.S: anyone heard the news from Nord? Nord Piano Monitor!? Really? nord coming out with speakers? good god...
Purgatory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
sounds interesting and I like your take on this. It wouldn't make sense to come up just yet with a new kronos, but I'm puzzled even now by the launch of the SE. I was talking with a friend of mine (dealer) and we were both trying to fathom out this whole move, Even he couldn't get the whole paint job and sound libraries add on for the same machine. Wating on price confirmation.

anyway, we can live in hope that a Kronos OS update is launched at some point soon, pray to the keyboard gods.

lew

P.S: anyone heard the news from Nord? Nord Piano Monitor!? Really? nord coming out with speakers? good god...

Prices for the SE 61,73,88 are available at most stores now as you see here :-

https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/keyboards-synths-c4/keyboards-music-workstations-c6/korg-m52#page2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purgatory wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:

lew

https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/keyboards-synths-c4/keyboards-music-workstations-c6/korg-m52#page2

Like the Platinum and Gold Special Edition, this "SE" is apparently similar in distribution. reading between the lines, a certain # will be manufactured but it
will eventually sell out.

Lets see if Korg clarifies at NAMM
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purgatory wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:

lew

HOLY MOTHER OF ALL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS! £3560 for a Kronos SE88, and to think I paid £2600 for a kronos 2 88 new and about the same for my LS. Where does this rather interesting price hike come from? 2.7 million Guatemalan red beatles were used in the making of the special paint per kronos, the blood sacrificed from 2 pixies and a 6ft7in transexual called larriana to do the finishing touches? oops sorry, didn't mean to offend.
number6uk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HOLY MOTHER OF ALL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS! £3560 for a Kronos SE88, and to think I paid £2600 for a kronos 2 88 new and about the same for my LS. Where does this rather interesting price hike come from? 2.7 million Guatemalan red beatles were used in the making of the special paint per kronos, the blood sacrificed from 2 pixies and a 6ft7in transexual called larriana to do the finishing touches? oops sorry, didn't mean to offend.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Korg follows this forum and knows that there are a lot of Kronos and potential Kronos replacement owners waiting for a Kronos replacement. It may be that the red SE's (especially if built in limited numbers) purpose is to prolong the Kronos' life and delay the need of a replacement. Gives them more time for development and refinement before released. Might also slightly reduce the cost of production (cheaper better components).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:
I am sure Korg follows this forum and knows that there are a lot of Kronos and potential Kronos replacement owners waiting for a Kronos replacement. It may be that the red SE's (especially if built in limited numbers) purpose is to prolong the Kronos' life and delay the need of a replacement. Gives them more time for development and refinement before released. Might also slightly reduce the cost of production (cheaper better components).

I have experience with large corps, either based in US or Japan.

The workers might read a post here. But they do not run Korg.
They don't make decisions. They don't have financial responsibility.
They have their own responsibilities.

Contact the President of Korg with your points. Thats my advice for anybody hear who is serious on this forum. Co presidents do not bite. They are human.
I doubt they have any time to read posts here.

If a co presidents email can't be determined, write a letter. I am not shy about talking to the top person if there is a serious problem or concern.

Call it the direct approach.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: response to your comment re d32xd Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
JPROBERTLA wrote:

Contact the President of Korg with your points. Thats my advice for anybody hear who is serious on this forum. Co presidents do not bite. They are human.

If a co presidents email can't be determined, write a letter. I am not shy about talking to the top person if there is a serious problem or concern.

Hi there,

I'm in the process of this. Has there been a change of president for korg recently? if so, who? just so I'm prepared and don't look a prat doing this.

lew
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: response to your comment re d32xd Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
GregC wrote:
JPROBERTLA wrote:

Hi there,

I'm in the process of this. Has there been a change of president for korg recently? if so, who? just so I'm prepared and don't look a prat doing this.

lew

Mr Katoh, the visionary founder of Korg and its Chairman, who passed away in 2011. Seiko Kato was the President at the time. Mr Kato is your contact today.

Google for Korg Japan for press releases , Bloomberg, etc, contact details.
I think history is important.

My sense is that Mr Kato would be receptive to thoughtful communication from a Korg customer.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: response to your comment re d32xd Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
GregC wrote:
JPROBERTLA wrote:

Hi there,

lew

Mr Katoh, the visionary founder of Korg and its Chairman, who passed away in 2011. Seiko Kato was the President at the time. Mr Kato is your contact today.

Google for Korg Japan for press releases , Bloomberg, etc, contact details.
I think history is important.

My sense is that Mr Kato would be receptive to thoughtful communication from a Korg customer.

Very good kind sir, I shall be in touch and in doing so, shall indeed represent us here and all kronos owners. It'll take me a few days or so to get this done as I'm battling a matter that's still on-going but I shall be in touch with Mr. Kato to discuss this in letter form. I did actually send an email to him, however he did not respond, which is a shame (current chairman)

lew
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:

How successful has Kronos been? As in - how many units sold? I'm not looking for speculation on that - I'm curious if anyone has the stats.

I'd disagree that Kronos is more economically successful for Korg than Volca. I've no evidence on Volca success - but given microKorg sold - what - 400,000 units? - I'd imagine Volca's have sold in their hundreds of thousands too. Surely a license to print money for Korg?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: