Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please. Songs bounced to disk/exported are too hot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etnate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Help please. Songs bounced to disk/exported are too hot Reply with quote

Thanks for your time. Every song recording I export as a wav sounds too hot, with exaggerated high-end freqs and reduced mids that is not an accurate representation of the mastering I have applied (which are usually or always 7band EQ, of varying adjustments of course, and mastering limiter applied at total effects) nor is it what I am hearing straight from the board running the sequencer. It doesn't matter if I leave headroom or not nor does it matter how the mastering eq is done. The bit rate doesn't matter. It always comes out thin and bright sounding like a video game. I've had and used the Kronos2 almost exclusively for 5 or so years and have recently realized that my apparent failings to get the exact sound I want at the end aren't necessarily due to incompetence. I would get expected results bouncing on any other PC DAW. The difference is not subtle. I 1:1 compared them along side my husband who is an experienced audio engineer and savvy nerd. It was very obvious to him. He had some theories but nothing applicable to fix the problem. Listening to a piece you might just assume it's the sound I was going for because it isn't objectively bad but it's just not my intention and I can't seem to get around it. I'll share a recent sample. I would appreciate any insights.
https://youtu.be/IKE-732Q1ZM It being compressed on youtube doesn't matter and it doesn't matter what system or device you play it on. You'll be able to hear what I'm talking about. Thanks a lot.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the seq , record all the time 3 yrs

U are recording midi tracks ? I will assume so

I would still tweek the mix

Reduce mid range on snare.
Reduce the volume on synth lead that starts at ; 19

I don’t bounce tracks

I use the audio sampling tab and decrease the recording volume as needed
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you hear can also be recorded like on a computer from line out.

Having both these samples could make it easier for somebody to help out with internals of K2.
etnate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Use the seq , record all the time 3 yrs

U are recording midi tracks ? I will assume so

I would still tweek the mix

Reduce mid range on snare.
Reduce the volume on synth lead that starts at ; 19

I don’t bounce tracks

I use the audio sampling tab and decrease the recording volume as needed

Thanks, GregC, for your time and suggestion. I don't bounce tracks either but I've tested both ways and the results are the same. Let me emphasize I'm not dealing with a matter of taste and skill when it comes to mastering audio. I would, of course, apply those tweaks with my current understanding of sound design and the direct seq audio does sound balanced the way you are suggesting. This is specifically an issue of the sample to disk coming out sizzling. https://youtu.be/ZtKcHv0XQQw Here's another kronos track. This isn't in sequencer mode at all. This is a straight recording to disk of a combi designed by Korg that comes preloaded with the board to which I've applied no extra processing. You can hear the highs exaggerated here as well with the lead being too forward and a bit uncomfortable to listen to at time.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nate, when I use the Audio sampling tab, the volume'level meter always tells me if the song and or instruments are too hot

The meter gives a clipping message in red if the recording /midi tracks are too hot.

I didn't hear much of a clip on your original post of the sailing song.

The 2nd song sounds strong, only the synth lead in some measures hits the high end

are you using 7 band EQ as a total EQ fx or a master fx [ MFX] ?

That 7 band EQ is strong, and might contribute to more mid and high end on certain instruments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: