Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 - restore stops at formatting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollerbones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Kronos 2 - restore stops at formatting Reply with quote

Replaced main ssd drive in Kronos with a Samsung 250 ssd, trying to use the Korg restore DVD’s 3.1.0 that they sent me and it always gets to “formatting the disk....please wait” and never does anything more. I have tried other ssd drives and other dvd drives and it always stops there.

Any ideas why?[/img]
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 2 - restore stops at formatting Reply with quote

rollerbones wrote:
Replaced main ssd drive in Kronos with a Samsung 250 ssd, trying to use the Korg restore DVD’s 3.1.0 that they sent me and it always gets to “formatting the disk....please wait” and never does anything more. I have tried other ssd drives and other dvd drives and it always stops there.

Any ideas why?[/img]

I have to ask- whats wrong with your original factory SSD ?
rollerbones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never boots up, starts to load and just stops. Figured it was a good time to change the drive while it was down.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you out of warranty ?
rollerbones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I have the restore dvd’s From Korg. I just need to know if I am doing something wrong to try and restore.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerbones wrote:
Yes.

I have the restore dvd’s From Korg. I just need to know if I am doing something wrong to try and restore.

ok. Usually K2's with a boot up problem could have a variety of causes. Some causes are simpler than replacing the factory SSD.

Since you didn't offer if you did other trouble shooting, or offer the history of your K2, lets go to your current challenge.

I believe the 1st problem is the Kronos is picky about what external DVD drives it can read from.

There is a list or some detail about this.

But that in itself, may not be the issue with your Kronos. There can be 10 other issues why it does not boot up.
andym63

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronos restore DVD will not allow you to format anything bigger than 64Gb a 250GB Ssd is to large , not sure where the limit starts
i have tried a few times....250 gb and 500 is to big
You will need to clone you're old drive onto the new one and expand the partition using Ghost for linux and Gparted or similar software or use a 64Gb drive the DVD should work with a Drive that size.
(i am on a Kronos 2 2015 8Cool

Regards Andy
rollerbones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I got it going with a 128gig drive I had. Installed, updates and reinstalled all my packs back on.

Running good now.
Purgatory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym63 wrote:
kronos restore DVD will not allow you to format anything bigger than 64Gb a 250GB Ssd is to large , not sure where the limit starts
You will need to clone you're old drive onto the new one and expand the partition using Ghost for linux and Gparted or similar software or use a 64Gb drive the DVD should work with a Drive that size.

Regards Andy

This sounds strange to me that it can only format certain sized ssds. Sounds like a problem with the restore dvds or the dvd drive being not compatible or not being powered correctly.

As above a 128gb ssd seemed to work, so it was a ssd compatability issue or the ssd used before was not set back to factory settings by removing all the partitions on it and only having a fully unallocated ssd so the full restore process would then setup the full space with all the partitions required by the kronos and then format them correctly to use the full space.

Has anyone else used a new ssd larger than 128gb and got the recent restore dvds to format the ssd and setup fully the new ssd with all the kronos dvds?

I'm going to to be sticking two 500gb ssds into my kronos 2 88 soon, I have both the 500gb Samsung 860 evos, I know the issue regarding the 2nd ssd as the Asrock motherboard in the kronos 2 88 has the 2nd ssd data port under the keyboard which is not a problem for me I'm an I. T guy and have repaired or setup servers with worse placement of connectors inside them and have repaired keyboards and other electronic devices over my 46 years.

Also if the restore dvds are limited to what they allow you to use ssds size wise that should be fixed by Korg as that is ridiculous, it is nothing more than a Linux os.

Also if Korg did add this limitation regarding ssd size to the restore dvds it makes them also have to clone the original ssds to the new larger ssd and expand the partition used to store the data. Or of course use the image files they may have and again expand the partition after. So basically Korg authorised repair places that do ssd drive size upgrades will have to do the above and then the customer can never restore their kronos again fully without them taking it back to the korg authorised repair.. Which is again ridiculous.

So what's the largest ssds anyone has used to do a full restore from the dvds without any problems? Also any Korg staff here that can answer this? I was planning on adding a 2nd kronos to my setup the LS 88 to my K2 88. I'm already upset about purchasing over £1000 of sounds from the korg kronos shop to find out they may not be transferred to a new kronos if the unit fails or may take a bit of a headache to get korg to reissue the keys for the replacement if the original died. We should be able to deactivate the keyboard we don't want to use the sounds on and reactivate them for a different one if required. Many devices have this option for purchased extras..

Last edited by Purgatory on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
andym63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
yep its a bit strange but it seems to be the case my restore DVD are fine.
and I've tried a few different dvd drives.I have a 500Gb samsung drive in my kronos the only way to install it was by cloning the original ssd onto it then expanding the partition as i wrote above.
regards Andy
andym63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerbones wrote:
Thanks, I got it going with a 128gig drive I had. Installed, updates and reinstalled all my packs back on.

Running good now.

glad u got it up and running
andym63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purgatory wrote:
andym63 wrote:

Regards Andy

This sounds strange to me that it can only format certain sized ssds. Sounds like a problem with the restore dvds or the dvd drive being not compatible or not being powered correctly.

As above a 128gb ssd seemed to work, so it was a ssd compatability issue or the ssd used before was not set back to factory settings by removing all the partitions on it and only having a fully unallocated ssd so the full restore process would then setup the full space with all the partitions required by the kronos and then format them correctly to use the full space.

Has anyone else used a new ssd larger than 128gb and got the recent restore dvds to format the ssd and setup fully the new ssd with all the kronos dvds?

I'm going to to be sticking two 500gb ssds into my kronos 2 88 soon, I have both the 500gb Samsung 860 evos, I know the issue regarding the 2nd ssd as the Asrock motherboard in the kronos 2 88 has the 2nd ssd data port under the keyboard which is not a problem for me I'm an I. T guy and have repaired or setup servers with worse placement of connectors inside them and have repaired keyboards and other electronic devices over my 46 years.

Also if the restore dvds are limited to what they allow you to use ssds size wise that should be fixed by Korg as that is rediculace, it is nothing more than a Linux os.

Also if Korg did add this limitation regarding ssd size to the restore dvds it makes them also have to clone the original ssds to the new larger ssd and expand the partition used to store the data. Or of course use the image files they may have and again expand the partition after. So basically Korg authorised repair places that do ssd drive size upgrades will have to do the above and then the customer can never restore their kronos again fully without them taking it back to the korg authorised repair.. Which is again rediculace.

So what's the largest ssds anyone has used to do a full restore from the dvds without any problems? Also any Korg staff here that can answer this? I was planning on adding a 2nd kronos to my setup the LS 88 to my K2 88. I'm already upset about purchasing over £1000 of sounds from the korg kronos shop to find out they may not be transferred to a new kronos if the unit fails or may take a bit of a headache to get korg to reissue the keys for the replacement if the original died. We should be able to deactivate the keyboard we don't want to use the sounds on and reactivate them for a different one if required. Many devices have this option for purchased extras..

Not so sure if the format thing its deliberate its probably just a bug in the formatting SW on the restore DVD.The largest SSD i have had in my Kronos is a 1TB samsung.I removed it and replaced it with a 250GB then a 500GB thats in it now.No point having anything bigger because if you install to many extra libraries it messes things up.In my honest opinion 128-250GB is good enough for most scenarios.
regards Andy
Purgatory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I updated my kronos 2 88 today with two 500gb Samsung 860 evos.

I used clonezilla in advanced mode and only selected device to device and further in the settings removed all the stars apart from added the sector by sector option Only that and cloned the original ssd to the 500gb and then an option later comes up asking if you want the boot record and mbr say yes and clone and shutdown option after completion.

Then I ran Gparted and extended the partition of the unallocated space then set the space to korg rw ext3 partition the full space.

Installed the drive back into the kronos and the second 500gb not formated or anything.

Started kronos expecting a boot failure as some on here state and to use the dvds to reinstall. BUT I cloned and extended the partition correctly so it booted right up no problems and showed the full 500gb was available correctly. So all saying you need to reinstall are cloning and extending the unallocated space incorrectly.

I then formated the second 500gb ssd from the disk menu on the kronos and all worked correctly too.

Now adding the second ssd means you need to remove the keyboard to get to the second ssd connector on the motherboard and may not be for everyone, it wasn't difficult but again I work in I.T and do repairs on servers and desktop computers daily and repair electronic equipment all the time. Honestly if you took your time and work carefully it is easy. You will need a right angled ssd cable to go into the motherboard connector and the cable needs to be 70cm for the kronos 2 88.

When I was in there I actually tided up some of the cabling better than what korg did, also the ssd in the kronos was some terrible cheap one, so happy I got that out.

I took pictures of the process for others to see and will post all this when I have a chance and show how to correctly clone and extended the unallocated space. It didn't need anything doing when done right, all started up as before but with more space and didn't ask for authorisation for anything, all was still authorised as before.

Anyone that wants help just ask. Ignore this terrible link that people always post http://www.kronoscopie.fr/remplacer-ajouter-un-ssd.html he is doing the cloning and extending wrong, that's why he states you need to reinstall from the dvds later too.. Crazy..
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened with me, though not the same starting point. I have a few requirements from the kronos rigs I really need, however, for the moment they'll have to wait. it turns out that yes, the linux OS being 32 bit also has some outdated drive limitations for partitioning from within the host OS boot and restore tools. max 128gb and no more. It's doable to install a 128gb ssd on channel 0 and anything above for data on 1 of sata bus controller. The other way as suggested is to clone your original drive to a new SSD and increase the partition which as I'm told is EXT2 format, though I could be wrong here. I haven't yet done so. still have the 64gb and a 256gb for recording data, etc.
danx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep didn´t read this before.
I tried to replace factory drive with a Kingston 250 GB ssd and the DVDs could´t format the drive.

In order to format the drive or clone it can it be done on Mac or Windows?
Or this procedure requires Linux environment only.

TIA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: