Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prologue fat VCO complement to Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
I was also initially letdown that these new generation analogs weren't as thick as I wanted in order to supplement the Kronos. I had and sold an OB6 because of this reason.

The Prophet Rev2 is only slightly thicker than the Kronos. That is, until you use modulate the wave shape of the saw or saw-tri. Next time you have a chance, try making an INIT patch and try that with only 1 osc, not 2. Also turn Pan Spread wide. The Stereo Brass preset may also be of interest.

I had the opportunity to test extensively the OB6 in store. They also had a Kronos2 and a Rev2, which was ideal for comparisons.

One thing I noted is that the Kronos’ unison is polyphonic whereas the OB6 and Rev2 unison is monophonic (or I missed something in the settings). Rev2 sounds thinner.

My conclusion is that the OB6 sounds great with its state-variable filter (better filter than the Kronos) but I also have the feeling that it lacks fatness as stated above.

Does anyone of you have an OB6 paired with a Kronos in your setup?
If so, where does it shine in complement to the Kronos?

By the way thank you for all your answers.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, you might get a better response on the Gear Slutz forum. It's more likely that you will find owners who have/had an OB6 and a Kronos to compare.

But I understand if you'd rather steer clear as well. That place gets pretty opinionated...
chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip psionic311.

Cheers,
Chris
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris wrote:
One thing I noted is that the Kronos’ unison is polyphonic whereas the OB6 and Rev2 unison is monophonic

Hello, I'm not sure to undestand what you meant by polyphonic Kronos unison, but here is an exerpt of paramter Guide, page 43 :
Quote:

Unison [On, Off]
Unison can be used in both Mono and Poly modes.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyphonic unison is an ongoing request for the Rev2. Being bi-timbral, it's a shame that when you want a unison bass on the left side, it eats up all 8 of the available voices for layer A. Sometimes all you need is 2 or 3 voices for unison bass.

Polyphonic unison is also great for thickening things up by just layering 2 voices. This frees up the unused voices so that you don't cut into available polyphony. Those Curtis DCO's on the Rev2 aren't exactly meaty, and there have been plenty of times I wish it had polyphonic unison.

At least with both the OB6 and the Rev2, you can just dial in the number of voices you want to have in unison.

Since the Kronos has both polyphonic and monophonic unison, the flexibility is unmatched. I like to layer my instruments a lot. I kid you not, but there have been times where I was thought "wow, that Rev2 voice is sounding pretty thick now" when it was actually the Kronos! Unfortunately the reverse is also true. It's a compliment when you mistake a digital synth for an analog in sound quality, but no so much the other way around.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Chris, I had an OB6 module to compliment the Kronos.

I'm not ashamed to admit I got it mostly for just 2 songs -- Jump and Subdivisions. I've always been a fan of that big lush wide open sawtooth sound. To me, it's the synth version of that wall of electric guitar.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was a bit underwhelmed how static sounding the OSCs were. Mind you, they were more alive than the Kronos, but like I said, with a lot of careful programming, you can get the Kronos a lot closer to that analog fullness. Also, I probably didn't spend enough time programming the OB6, and I fell on hard times and needed some cash, so the OB6 had to go.

I still wanted an analog board, and my X-station was on the fritz, so I needed a replacement 2nd tier controller that could split over 2 channels and had aftertouch. So I got and still have the Rev2 to cover what the OB6 was supposed to do.

There were at least 3 times when I just about had enough and was ready to return the Rev2 as well. Its DCOs are pretty thin imo, and they kind of phase out when used together, so I tend to use one OSC and just put an LFO on it to waveshape for more movement. And it being bi-timbral is exactly what I needed as well. And for the lack of bass end, I got a Minitaur, but later learned how to beef up the Rev2 bottom by using either the Distortion or HPF effects.

I also have a Matrix 1000, which uses some of the same chips as the Rev2. The two are remarkably similar in character, with the M1000 just edging out the Rev2 for beefiness. I'd say the OB6 is thicker and lusher than the M1000, but it still is not quite as thick as an OB-Xa.

Still, the OB6 gets a lot of praise from most owners. If you like the sound, I believe you will be happy with it, and it will complement the Kronos well. If I had one again, I'd keep it and just program it better. It's very alive, just not as magical as the legends. I'm hoping the UB-Xa lives up to its legacy. HTH
Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It sounds like an Oberheim. No... it is an Oberheim.
People say that ‘they don’t make ‘em like they used to’, but the OB6 proves them wrong. It’s a mono-timbral polysynth with a sound that screams 1979 at you, albeit with numerous modern functions added to keep things interesting."

SOS Magazine (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dave-smith-instruments-ob6)

Awesome demo of OB-6 by Mr.Fairchild (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0HuFhhZpbM)
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend let me borrow his OB-6 for a few weeks. Got to plumb it’s depths and do direct comparisons with the Kronos.

Mimicking the OB-6’s unison stacked cross modulation was very difficult but doable on the K. AL-1’s cross mod is too clean and tuned to compare so I had to do some ridiculous routing between two instances of MS-20’s. Not sure if some tricks could’ve been applied to AL-1 but my results with the 20 were directly comparable. The Kronos equivalent was less noisy while the analog version had a kind of edge. In the end I would’ve stuck with the Kronos just because I really dislike unintended noise in my mixes. Would’ve recorded some direct comparisons for this thread if I still had the unit.

The 6 deserves major praise for that filter. At first I didn’t like it. Where was the squelch? How come it couldn’t self oscillate? But after a bit I learned to really appreciate how incredibly smooth it sounded. The Kronos stock filters are much more Prophetesque and don’t allow for super buttery sweeps via a knob (I may have remedied that with Tone Adjust, I just remember the software indents being an issue while using RT Controls). In the end though, timbral versatility wins out for me. The Kronos is clean and the MS-20EX has more analog attitude than most real analogs on the market imo.

While a Kronos can sound like most other synths, not many other synths carry all the options found in a Kronos. The effects alone put it into untouchable territory for pretty much any analog (you’ll be hard pressed to find an analog synth with a grain shifter for instance). There’s literally no feature on the OB-6 that the Kronos can’t directly mimic. Just don’t expect the Kronos to sound as good when applying frequency modulation to filter type. But that specific signal routing sounds ugly even on the OB-6 anyway.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OB-6 is thick, but the legend is thicker yet.

magname

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
A friend let me borrow his OB-6 for a few weeks. ...

Hello Charles,
Any experience and comparison with the prologue ?
Regards
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magname wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:
A friend let me borrow his OB-6 for a few weeks. ...

Hello Charles,
Any experience and comparison with the prologue ?
Regards

My experience with the Prologue is limited. Only messed with one at a trade show. Really liked the sound from what I heard. The different filter modes let me get squelch or smoothness depending on the setting. Seems like s pretty versatile unit and they dropped the price by $300 bucks (for both models) at Sweetwater for a limited time.

I remember the Cross Mod on Prologue being like the OB-6 where it didn't have a huge range which was a disappointment. Cross Mod on AL-1 has a 16 octave range (compared to the Prophet 5 range of 2 octaves). Side note, as stated in that earlier post AL-1 was inspired by the 5 but is still very much it's own thing. In fact there was a full Prophet 5 emulation on the OASYS PCI back in the day.

Neither the Prologue or OB-6 manual actually state the their maximum cross mod depth. While trying to look it up though I did notice a point of interest. The Prologue is using 10-bit parameter values so you have 1024 discrete quantized steps (that are then interpolated) instead of the regular 8-bit MIDI. The OB-6 though has an analog mode (they call it Manual or Live Panel mode) that does away with the digital control so the knobs are directly controlling voltage resulting in super smooth parameter sweeps. It's like how the MS-20 doesn't have any digital controls or CC controls so everything is direct. In fact I think putting a digital overlay on a synth defeats much of the purpose of going analog in the first place. But if you don't have the overlay you wouldn't be able to have presets or CC automation...
Also caring about infinitely variable (or continuously variable) parameter sweeps is being extremely knit picky. No one can hear that sort of thing in a mix and you don't have to worry about quantization (for the most part) when using a typical control source like an envelope or LFO anyway since those values are calculated at much higher fidelity than 8-bit.

I think what matters more than anything is the timbral versatility which of course the Prologue gives you in spades with the digital oscillator. Also how well you vibe with the synth can be more important to a lot of people. The OB-6 is very quick and immediate with more of a knob-per-function design that Dave loves so much. If you work fast and don't care about the interface then I vote Prologue. If you're an analog purist then definitely the OB-6 (the Prologue actually doesn't do a true effects bypass so the signal is always getting digitized). The last important thing to consider is price. The OB-6 is an expensive cadillac, and for the same price you can get a Tesla (the Kronos). If you're not afraid to shell out the extra cash then go for it but you'd be just fine with the economical Prologue. And mind you the Prologue ISN'T economical feature wise, it's just a great analog. But that's coming from a Korg guy so I'm pretty biased Wink

Last edited by CharlesFerraro on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
you don't have to worry about quantization (for the most part) when using a typical control source like an envelope or LFO anyway since those values are calculated at much higher fidelity than 8-bit.

I should mention that that little tidbit of info only pertains to digital synths. So the Prologue wouldn't suffer from any sort of mod source quantization either.

Last edited by CharlesFerraro on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:
you don't have to worry about quantization (for the most part) when using a typical control source like an envelope or LFO anyway since those values are calculated at much higher fidelity than 8-bit.

I should mention that that little tidbit of info only pertains to digital synths. So the Prologue wouldn't suffer from any sort of mod source quantization either.

As far as I know, LFO seems to be digital. So, as a Mod Source it is quantized :

Quote:
Nonetheless, there’s a hefty amount of computation going on inside too, with a third, digital oscillator per voice, digital LFOs, digital contour generators and digital effects. (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-prologue)

Some consider the Prologue as an Hybrid synth rather than a real analog one (third OSC digital, digital forced audio output, LFO, ....)
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks for clarifying, Liviou!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: