Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to back up Roms and Rams frm Wavestation SR to put on AD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worcestermusic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: How to back up Roms and Rams frm Wavestation SR to put on AD Reply with quote

I've recently bagged an A/D so want to sell on my SR.

The SR has 3 Rams and 7 Roms whereas the A/D has 3 Rams and 1 Rom.

I would like to back up all the patches and performances from the SR before selling for use on the A/D. I've had limited success moving all of Ram 3 on the SR to Ram 1 on the A/D and individual patches, using Midiquest, however I can seem to move any Roms and some of the Rams simply wont copy.

Is there better software out there for this? Or should I be trying to find some PCM cards?

I've also tried:
Bome SX ( unable to work out how to change bank number)
Midi Ox
uWaveEdit

and all of the links that still work on http://www.danphillips.com/wavestation
With no luck.
holografique

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know the same. It seems you have to find a way to transfer or backup the ROM banks to contain everything the use all in the same transfer dump (e.g. patch data, wave data, wave sequence data, effects data, etc)

What I found is that some performances will use patches from other banks as part of the patches that make up the performance. So if you don't have those already loaded, the performances don't sound right.

I also tried using a PCM card to transfer banks between the two and also ran into partial success.
holografique

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after banging my head against the wall last night, I've come to the conclusion that there is no possible way to do it.

The main issues appears to be that many of the SR performances reference patches and wavesequences from other banks. (e.g. performance in Bank ROM5 uses patches and wavesequences from ROM7 or ROM4, or ROM9, etc. etc.). Both the Sysex and Bank COPY functions will only transfer information contained within the selected Bank. So when you transfer a performance from an SR to an EX/AD unit, it still wants to reference those patches/wavesequences from other Banks. And since they don't exist on the EX/AD, the patches don't play correctly.

I even tried backing up the ROMs to a RAM Card, and still the exact same issue.

The only way I see it possibly working is:

1. copy a performance to one of the RAM banks (e.g. RAM1)
2. edit the performance and make a copy of all patches and wavesequences that is uses also to RAM1.
3. modify the performance to reference the patches and wavesequences copied to RAM1 instead of the original ROM banks
4. now you have a performance that is entirely self-contained within the same Bank.

This might be ok for one or two patches, but way too intensive to try and do this for all the other great performances across the various banks on the SR.

Ugh.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: