Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swapping the keybed on a KK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcturo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Swapping the keybed on a KK Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

This may be a dumb question but is it possible to swap the keybed on the Kingkorg for another synth with better keys.

I really like the Dave smith synths keybeds. Could I possibly swap with one of these? or even another high end korg model?

Or am I just kind of stuck with it. I have replaced keys on a synth before but only just one or two. never a full set. Has anyone on the forum done this before?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say it might be able to be done but it would be a LOT of work. For a non weighted action, I've always loved the feel of my Korg Wavestation EX. The thing is though, I seriously doubt that the connectors would be the same. Not to mention the frame that it mounts onto.
I think you'd have to be pretty handy with metal work and electronic work.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than go through the BS of trying replace the entire keybed, you might be better served using another board as a midi controller and the KK as a sound module?
captain.cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to change the keybed of the KK.
I know the keys are quite special as they are not single keys but a pack of keys which I believe makes the sensor mecanism not standard : https://syntaur.com/keys.php?key=K26W

Another idea might be to convert the KK to a rack module, but then I agree it's more easier to have it standard and controlled by another keyboard with much better keybed.

Fred
captain.cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info, the KK shares the same key blocks with the following models : Krome 61 and 73, Kross 61, M50 61 and 73, PA600, PA900, PS-60.

Fred
mike3000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboyNQ wrote:
Rather than go through the BS of trying replace the entire keybed, you might be better served using another board as a midi controller and the KK as a sound module?

I agree. I have the Blofeld Keyboard and it has lovely Fatar keys with aftertouch. It is beautifully built. I use it as my main keyboard MIDI controller with all of my desktop synth modules, and it is such a joy to play. I have also used it with my KingKORG and it is an infinitely better keyboard, although, being just 49 keys, I do miss the 61 keys of the KK.

Last edited by mike3000 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
captain.cookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain.cookie wrote:
I would love to change the keybed of the KK.
I know the keys are quite special as they are not single keys but a pack of keys which I believe makes the sensor mecanism not standard : https://syntaur.com/keys.php?key=K26W

Another idea might be to convert the KK to a rack module, but then I agree it's more easier to have it standard and controlled by another keyboard with much better keybed.

Fred

I would ultimately be interested in something like what is happening for the new Korg synths : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loglow/desktop-conversion-kit-for-wavestate-opsix-modwave

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: