Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control of Looped or Long Samples

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanLong124

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Control of Looped or Long Samples Reply with quote

Hi everyone- new owner here, just diving into this board.

I play in a Pink Floyd tribute and one of the things I need to manage is sound effect samples. I've figured out how to import them, assign them to a patch, then bring the patch into a combi where I can trigger the sounds from assigned keys on the keyboard.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to stop a loop or a long sample? For example, for the song Money there is the cash register loop that runs at the beginning of the song. I want to hit the key to have it play, but need to be able to tell it to stop at the right time. The same goes for another song where I have a long sound effect that will run up to a certain point, but that point is not always the same, so I need to find a way to stop it.

It might be 2 separate solutions. On the long sample, I'm thinking I can assign a hold CC# to a button and then have the patch respond to that- but I don't know how to do that.

For the looped one, again, is there a way to stop a loop from running using a button or other controlller?

Thanks for any ideas! (I'm currently using a Roland FA08 and the sample management and control options are super easy on that, I'm sure the Kronos can do what I'm asking but not sure where to go to do it)
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a stack of different ways to achieve what you're trying to do. I won't go into detail on all of the different methods, as that would make for a very long post, but this should give you some starting points. Which direction you choose to go will depend largely on preference and how you have your combi or sequence setup.

There's a few different ways you can hold a note playing: you can use the "Hold" parameter in a HD1 program, you can use a sustain pedal, use MIDI CC #66, RPPR in a sequence or a drum kit with the right parameters.

MIDI Control #66 works a little differently to the sustain pedal in that it will hold only notes that were on at the time the controller is activated. The held notes will release once the CC is released. In that way, you can hold a selection of notes and have them continue to hold, whilst you use the sustain pedal. You can assign it to either of the two assignable switches or any of the four assignable knobs.

You can use the Tone Control page to toggle the HD1 Hold parameter on and off for individual timbers. In that way you can press a note and have it held, and when you want it to stop, go to the Tone Control page and turn off the relevant parameter.

Of course, you can always simply use the Timbre Mute / Volume controls to fade out a looping or long-running sample at the right time. If you use an audio track in a sequence, rather than a sample in a HD1 program, keeping the audio tracks running will use barely any CPU power and has the advantage that is will keep running in sync if you need to restore it.

Another option is using RPPR in a sequence, where you can assign the note used to trigger the sample to an RPPR, and assign the RPPR to a key. If you set the mode to "Endless", press the key once to start playback, press the key again to stop playback.

Finally, the other option I can think of is to use a drum kit for all your samples. You can use exclusive groups to decide which samples are mutually exclusive (e.g. you can have one key stop another key from sounding), or dedicate keys to stopping a sample from playing.

They're the options I can think of off the top of my head. Overall, Sequencer Mode should give you a few more options, but what you want to do should be achievable with a combination or even a program too.

Let us know how you go - hope that helps!

Lee
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically assign the volume of the sample to the Vector Joystick so I can pull it down to turn it off. I’ve gotten very used to using the VJ in a couple of ways. If I blend two sounds and want to fade between them I setup the VJ so the fade works left to right. If I want to use it for volume it’s setup so up is loud and down I’d off. I will use it so up adds more to a sound like bringing in a brighter timber etc.

I’ve heard you can trigger it on and off with the same key by limiting the polyphony of the note and having it rotate with a null sound but I’ve not tried this.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
DanLong124

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking I can use the 2nd control pedal switch input and assign that to cc 66 to toggle the sample off. I'm going to play around with it some this weekend if I get a chance.

I brought my FA08 in and stacked it on top of the Kronos, I need to go thru the sounds on the FA and replicate them. I'm thinking this would be a nice rig, the 2 88's together!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matchbook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: