Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Wavestation Factory Performance Ram Rom Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Korg Wavestation Factory Performance Ram Rom Question Reply with quote

I am new to this forum and a new owner of the Wavestation A/D and have few questions where I seem to be a bit stuck.
1. Firstly is there a manual available for the A/D version of this machine? I cannot find a reference to one anywhere.
2. Regarding factory performances I am a bit surprised to find that the list of performances across ROM, and RAM 1, 2, and 3 are identical - this is a bit surprising given my experiences with other synths, where different banks typically have different lists. Is this normal?
3. Does anyone know of source material to name the factory Performance and Patch lists for these? I have found the kind of list I am looking for related to the SR model, but not the other types.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROM are permanent and can not be changed, and RAM is completely editable and replaceable.

I've not seen this kind of setup in a Korg before, where nowadays typically all banks are writable, but for example in Rolands you often have/had the factory presets in ROM and then the same presets in RAM banks so that you can edit/change/replace them as you like whilst still keeping the factory banks.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection (not necessarily 20/20) is that there was a default recovery after loss of battery backup that put the rom voices into blank banks so that some sort of sound would be made by the keyboard after a crash/loss. I don't think that the 4-banks-same-as-ROM is the "factory" state.

http://www.korg.co.uk/support/downloads/wavestation_dl.php

Link above for factory presets for the A/D.

I could not find a manual online either. Maybe an email to korg.co.uk would get a result - otherwise the EX manual is identical to the A/D for all but the auxiliary inputs section.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS:

The performance notes for the SR should hold for most of the factory voices on the EX & AD - just look by name rather than position in the banks. SR had something like 8 banks of Korg voices, 4 or 5 of which were originally issued on PCM cards for the "classic" WS. Additional voices appeared on the EX and AD; they should be in the SR's first couple of banks, with card voices following.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
nrand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
My recollection (not necessarily 20/20) is that there was a default recovery after loss of battery backup that put the rom voices into blank banks so that some sort of sound would be made by the keyboard after a crash/loss. I don't think that the 4-banks-same-as-ROM is the "factory" state.

http://www.korg.co.uk/support/downloads/wavestation_dl.php

Link above for factory presets for the A/D.

I could not find a manual online either. Maybe an email to korg.co.uk would get a result - otherwise the EX manual is identical to the A/D for all but the auxiliary inputs section.

BB

Thanks - this makes sense as I know the seller replaced the battery as part of the refurbishment. There is nothing from Korg in the UK, I have tried, but I have sense discovered that there are a couple of addendum published by Dan Philllps, but these are just for version 3 of the Keyboard. Since my OP I have found just one reference here:
http://www.youngmonkey.ca/nose/audio_tech/synth/Korg-Wavestation_effects.html
Although it is not official Korg documentation.

This thing sounds awesome, BTW. I am having fun, even with just 25% of the factory performances.
nrand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Issue fixed - almost - but not RAM 3 Reply with quote

I have been away for a while but seem closer to a fix.
There is a good recovery kit now available from a guy on ebay operating under 'lo-res'.
The Sysex files transfered quite easily into RAM 1 and RAM 2 but my RAM 3 seems stuck, with the same list of performances as in ROM.
When Factory RAM 3 sysex files are transferred the performance list is correct but it goes into either RAM 1 or RAM 2, and nd not into RAM3, replacing the correct RAM 1 or RAM 2 files.
The RAM 3 info is important to me as I use the analogue inputs, and I can get by with three sets of performances but I would really like to be able to use the whole machine.
Is it possible there is a bug in RAM 3 that is not present in the others?
seanL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a WS A/D off of EBAY and have the same problem. Basically I have 1/4 of the factory presets.....

What ever is in ROM is duplicated in RAM1, RAM2 and RAM3
M3, Radias R, Kurzweil PC3LE, EMU Proteus 1000, EMU Proteus 2000 (three of 'em) EMU Proteus 2500, , Alesis QS6, Alesis QS7.1 (2 of them, 'cause I use them as midi controllers and I prefer their keyboard action), MPK 61, love the buttons / sliders etc but not liking the action. Wavestation A/D. Core i7 PC, 32 GB ram, 500 GB SSD, Presonus Studio One 2 Pro, VST's Pianoteq, Alchemy
Emil_T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any solution for this? Have a WS keyboard with same problem. I can load the standard factory sysex file and I get message that the download is ok but when I change bank to RAM1 or 2 the WS reboot twice and the ROM sounds are copied to RAM. It makes a factory reset I think...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: