Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Kronos Sequencer Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post!

Adding also that rppr can record only sysex information as desired.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a couple of new tips I wanted to add.

Creating a reusable sampler patch

There's often a need to create simple sample patches that can be used as part of a setlist, combi or sequence. For example, when using in-track sampling, or a bunch of simple samples that need to be played back as part of a setlist.

Creating a single program for each individual sample used across sequences or combis can quickly eat up many program slots. However, there is an alternative.

Create a simple, initialized HD1 program, but don't assign any samples to it. Perhaps call it "Generic Sampler" or something similar. Then, in your sequence/combi/setlist, use the Tone Adjust to set the sample bank and number for each of the two oscillators. You can also set things like filter cutoff and envelopes through the Tone Adjust page.

This means that you can re-use the same simple sampler program for multiple purposes, each with completely different samples or wave sequences applied to it, without having to use up multiple program slots. You can specify up to two different samples, but you can't specify velocity layers or more complex modifications through this method.

I find this super handy when using things like the in-track sampler, or using short samples in a sequence, as I don't have to manage dozens of individual programs.

Preventing program changes and CC messages being sent to external synths

By default, the Kronos will send program change messages and some default CCs when starting a sequence to any channels whose status is set to EXT or EXT2. This applies even when global mode is set to use SysEx rather than continuous controllers for parameter changes. This often means that any changes made to a patch on an external instrument can be lost, or the wrong CCs changed.

For example, using the Kronos to sequence my Moog Subsequent 37 means that the program change message will cause any changes I've made to that patch to be lost. In addition, the Kronos will also send CC 91 and 92 (from memory), which is for the effects send level, but some synths interpret this differently.

There are two main ways to fix this:

1) For each track in the sequencer, set the MIDI filter to not send program change or "additional controllers" on a case-by-case basis. The downside of this is that "additional controllers" is an all or nothing approach, and often it's desirable to still send other controllers for automation purposes. Still, for program changes it's a useful way to suppress them.

2) In global, change the sequencer MIDI mode from "For Master" to "External Sequencer". This will prevent any program change/CC messages for volume etc being sent to external synths. The downside of this is that it's global, and you need to manually create events in the sequencer to initialise any programs or initial volume levels etc. It gives much more control though.

[/u][/b]
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your sample program tip, thank you. I have quite a few songs in which I only use one or a just a few samples, and tend to organise them by setting up a program and gradually mapping across the keyboard until it is full. So one program might contain the samples for 20-30 songs. It works fine, but I can see that it hogs memory more than your method does, and so I think I'll be changing what I do.

Thanks also for all the previous suggestions - they're most appreciated.
spielemusik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled on this post from a Google search on using the Kronos sequencer. I just had to reply and say thank you to the OP for sharing these tips. After using computers for the past 20+ years making music, I bought a Kronos 2 and a Tascam DP32sd. Although I've owned more than a few Korg boards in the past (I spent a lot of time on my Triton Studio) it's been an adjustment from being so used to editing on Logic (my first DAW was Digital Performer 3). Going from such a visually based way of editing and arranging to mostly listening and using a timeline w/ shortcuts has required a completely different mindset. I've really enjoyed the tactile approach, especially with my DP32sd - been great grabbing some faders. I was originally thinking about also getting an AKAI MPC X to pair with my Kronos. I might hold off on that a little, although I think the editing features on the MPC would really compliment the Kronos. I got the Tascam because I want to be able to still track up to 8 inputs simultaneously - a few mics on my drum kit while recording with some friends playing bass and keyboards. I do a lot of electronic music on my own, and love working with samples - hence my thoughts of using the Kronos and the MPC.

Thanks again OP - appreciate the time and thoughtfulness you put into your post.
Jogger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!
saturnalley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLeedy! I see that you have worked hard to get the most out of your Kronos and the looping functions you mention are exactly what I want to master myself. First I have to take the plunge and get a Kronos. My hesitation is based on having an M3 and never havingt gotten very far with the sequencer on it.

I became a master of a Roland midi sequencer or two, after coming from an 8 track ESQ-1 workstation. But The M3 was just too inscrutable for me so I gave up on it. Will I have better luck with the Kronos, is my question? I love the idea of not having to go back into the realm of the computer, where I've been lost (fruitfully to a degree) for a few years.

And when the curfew lifts come on over to Calif!! 707 287 5200 David
rickster1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this great post, Lee .. you've given me some things to try.
I especially like #22.

The post is so good I want to print it, but my computer/printer won't
fit it on a page. I'm missing half of each line.

Does anybody on this thread know how to get a print of a Forum post to
fit on a page?
pete.m

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only by copying and pasting, as far as I can tell. If you look through all the posts, you'll find you only need to copy a relatively small amount of the total text. It'll take a while to work through it, but grab yourself a brew and you'll get there in the end!
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Seedy for those sequencer tips. Awesome.

I also like your idea of the reusable sampler program. I've got a program called Prophet VS template that uses the same principle. In tone adjust I've restricted the multiple sample minimum to 619 and max to 887. Those are the MS for the Prophet VS waves. A tone adjust knob then is assigned to MS select, so you can spin the knob and only get VS waves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: