Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any RUMORS of new Korg arranger (Pa5X?) in the near future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
I simply get the feeling we are at the end of the line for the older hardware

Definitely agree with that. I think that as soon as one arranger company improves the hardware, the others will follow - hope Korg take the lead on that.

Apart from hardware, the critically important issue (IMHO) is OS design - that is an OS design with arranger musicians in mind.
Fortunately the PA4X has that, definitely ahead of the others, and I sincerely hope Korg maintain that and don't get carried away with too many control surface options - like buttons with multiple functions. As we know, the arranger is a performance machine and there are critical controls we need whilst the the workstation (e.g. Kronos), is primarily "SOUND" oriented in its performance capacity - so whilst you might want to tweak oscillator components playing live, you don't have the same requirements as an arranger player.

So many arrangers are not conducive to performing/recording. Example: whilst the Genos has beautiful sounds, I can list many non-subjective reasons why I could not use it live and these reasons have existed throughout Yamaha's Tyros era too (let's face it - the Genos is Tyros with some new features) so, as I've said before, I like Yamaha and played their arrangers for many years up to the PSR6700. I am not getting into Yamaha Genos bashing here - it is a great keyboard but not for serious arranger performance/recording.

So, in keeping with this topic, I haven't heard any rumours yet (other than the usual silly jokes). I would think that COVID pandemic would be limiting development everywhere.

Advice Wink - get that PA4X switched on and get switched on - it is a fabulous instrument.

Take great care

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that things will change when the first really working virtual arranger will be launched.....or should i say the 2nd?

(i saw quite many years before the first,it was designed for roland modules,and was working nice,with touch screen,some months or a year before first tablets appear on markets)

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Virtual arranger!!!" - what a horrible thought.... I'll stick with a real one Wink
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That i believe will be even more real....
The fight will be about controllers, automation and audio soundcard,all in one.

I already own mp3 16channel +2ch player,that costed less than 250$ and it's an audio card as well ,a tablet with a better processor than pa4x costs around 100-130 nowdays,even less i suppose,
so it's only the Os ,the styles and the sounds,something that already exists from Korg and Yamaha.

Maybe if CME starts to make controllers for arrangers,plus any custom Os,styles and sounds, become one day No1 ,who knows?
But even with controller and soft Os,it would be great......

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think that it is a fact that arranger players need an entirely different control architecture than synthstation players, I also think it is true that no two arranger players need the same control architecture...

Features that one player would consider essential may be not that important to another, one player may use the arranger as more of an SMF/MP3 player, another might be trying to integrate it with a synth/VSTi setup, etc., etc.. For this reason I think it is time to move away from dedicated buttons and sliders, and allow the user to determine what functions are on the front panel and what remain hidden in menus. A MUCH larger touchscreen (or a double one to cut costs) would allow the user to decide what is instantly available and what isn't.

Synthstations are doing a great job using color coded lights to allow multifunction switches and sliders to be easily recognized for their current function, something Korg aren't leveraging very well right now. Multicolored pads are the norm for things like the Launchstation. At prices that leave no doubt it is not an impediment to be added to an arranger. rather than the Concorde flight deck approach to allow every conceivable function to be available that many arrangers fall into, a more tailored and stripped back approach might make arrangers less complicated to operate.

With a combination of configurable touch screens and color coded buttons and sliders, it could finally be easy for the player to decide for himself how much and to what degree of control they need.

And don't get me started about external gear control! It is decades past the time when ALL control functions were allowed to address external gear using whatever codes the user wants to have them send. Unless Korg go crazy and finally DO give us the ultimate combination arranger/loop player/synthstation (fat chance!) it is time to acknowledge that the arranger, in a modern professional setting, is likely to be used with things like loop players, VSTi rigs and synths. And doing that needs FULL control over what codes the surface buttons, sliders and touch screen controls send.

Every pro uses their gear in a different way. I am sure it would be easy to find someone as tied to certain Genos features for the way they play and would have as hard a time using a Korg. And no less a 'professional' for doing so! But customizable front ends would go a long way to ease the task..! I am afraid I am not in your camp on this one, Pete. For me, for what I would like an arranger to do, I don't honestly see a way for it to NOT have multifunction controls and configurable touch screens. But take a look at the latest generation synthstations, and you see it can be done with a minimum of confusion to the player if designed well.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me, for what I would like an arranger to do, I don't honestly see a way for it to NOT have multifunction controls and configurable touch screens. But take a look at the latest generation synthstations, and you see it can be done with a minimum of confusion to the player if designed well.

Cool, and we already have that but too much multifunction and screen customisation is moving towards a workstation - arranger players need those "arranger controls" because most times they are not only playing for the duration of "every song" but providing most of "the band" - "arranger control" is critical. Arranger players can't stop whilst the sax player takes a solo. A couple of many examples I can give is the need for instant Bass Inversion and tempo locking control - this is aside from the obvious style element controls. Korg currently provide a great control surface but I would hate that to turn around to "...here's 80 buttons guys, configure them how you want". Yamaha didn't think it through from an arranger player's view and actually advertised their Genos as a workstation - it is a smart and decent keyboard but needs basic customisation before it can match the Korg in terms of "arranger" performance.
Having owned the Tyros at the same time as my PA3X, my band tried to play and record the same numbers with each keyboard - Tyros sounded superb but impossible to control in several songs due to its control surface design.

So, yes, let's have lots of flexibility but maintain (or improve) the arranger control

Very Happy
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, arranger players HAVE to stop while the sax player takes a solo! It's either that or an utterly unconvincing sax solo because you can't use the bender or pitch strip... And that's why we have chord sequencers (finally!) Very Happy

I think even with the PA4X's solo touch screen, just being able to design a screen with ONLY what you need on it and no fluff would cut back on the number of physical buttons that clutter the front panel. And a design with two, near the natural playing position of both hands would allow placing controls that we want closest to the hand that has the most time to get to them.

Roland's new synthstations can light sliders in different colors depending on function. If you need some sliders for internal sounds, and some for external control, or some for Part volume and others for FX or voice control, using different colors makes it easy on the eye to quickly grok what is going on. At least, that's how the synthstation world seems to think it needs to be done, not cramming the front panel with every conceivable parameter they could ever need. In the end, I think this is an elegant solution, and affordable to boot...

We've come to the point where either buttons get smaller and more crowded, or we have to make painful permanent design decisions about what is front panel and what is buried, simply because the arranger has become more complex and capable. Configurable front panels seem to me the only way we move forward without forcing one workflow or another on players that may not find them optimal.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... well if I stop playing when my guitarist takes a solo....... it ends up being a real solo I guess Confused Wink

However, no problem that you missed my point completely and that's OK - it's pointless banter really as we all have our own valid opinions and experiences but it at least passes a bit of time during these weird times.

Currently I'm happy and totally rapt with my current Korgs - these times of isolation give us a chance to "learn" more - there's heaps I haven't done yet on my PA4X and Kronos - not getting fussy about a replacement model at all

Take care, stay cool

Pete Very Happy
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry... thought you were referring to stopping arranger input and control. I’m kind of old school, most of my years spent playing in bands, which does allow the luxury of using one hand for bender control. It’s probably the main reason I have always chafed against arranger mode until the chord sequencer came along to save the day!
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have read the majority of the posts on this thread and you are indeed a very knowledgable group of musicians. My guess is that in reality you are heavily outnumbered by owners who simply want to play a few styles with some nice sounds and are not that bothered about sampling, and the more complex aspects of the keyboard. I know from experience that in the U.K. there are many 60+ owners of both the PA4X and the Yamaha Genos keyboards who are not pro players and just play for their own personal enjoyment. The glory being that with all the amazing backing styles and superb sounds (not to mention the ability to record a chord sequence, etc) it's not that difficult to make a nice sound from your keyboard. I'll be truly honest and say that having had around eight arrangers in my time, I have never even used the record feature to record my playing. I know I'm a rubbish player, I don't need to record myself to tell me that !!

There are a couple of factors that will determine whether I buy the PA5X in late 2021. Firstly, the flute drawbar section and the leslie sim has got to be drastically improved. Definitely to the standard of some of the current Hammond/clone software packages. What I find absolutely baffling is that we are not talking rocket science here. Secondly, Korg are sadly mistaken if they think people like me are going to upgrade to a PA5X purely to get a slightly better drum sample, or the because guitar's are slightly more realistic than on the PA4X. I am constantly amazed at how good the core sounds on my PA4X actually are. My dealer (in the Midlands) supplied his own software free of charge that gives me highly authentic church organ sounds in addition to the TTT theatre organ samples. The software also includes hundreds of styles amassed over the years from previous Korg and other Manufacturer's arranger keyboards.

Could any forum Member please tell me what is going to be so special on a PA5X that would justify an upgrade cost to me of between £1,500 and £2,000 U.K. sterling ?

Finally, around two years ago Yamaha launched the Genos in a blaze of publicity telling the world that this was no longer a Tyros keyboard but a new and different approach to Yamaha arrangers. Absolute rubbish, I had a Tyros 5 (which I traded in for a PA4X) And on the two occasions I have had time with the Genos, the sound to me was no different to a Tyros 5 with a few notable additions (revo drums,etc). Just a bit of hype spouted to sell the Genos. I'm not criticising the Genos, it plays and feels excellent but in reality it's a Tyros 6.

Chris
keith-helen

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chelsea
I agree with most of your comments as I am one of those in the 60+ bracket (73)
However the cost of upgrading may not be as great as you suggest if you trade in the existing keyboard. ( I am aware that you will be offered a ridiculous price)

Best wishes and stay safe.

Keith lawton
and PaAs have now got left handed banjo
mordechai

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: work station vs live playing Reply with quote

wish there would be more workstation type features in style record mode. an arp, step sequencer. better automation, piano roll etc.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, i saw some brand new korg pa4x’s on sale, brand new including full warranty for €2300

Also today we learned that from 30 June, all Yamaha Genos expansions will be available for free download..

If i sum up these 2 it could mean a new Korg arranger announcement is around the corner.... could be Korg catching up after Corona, and finally setting into action what they planned for musikmesse..

Huge sales of a pa5x could be very very welcome in Italy after the lockdown.

Just adding up some assumptions, but a pa5x just before summer wouldnt surprise me..
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

Also today we learned that from 30 June, all Yamaha Genos expansions will be available for free download..

Is that information confirmed? Any proof?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also today we learned that from 30 June, all Yamaha Genos expansions will be available for free download.

So, first a joystick, then a touch screen and now free expansions - they must be paying attention to what Korg has had and done for many years.... Confused
Maybe they'll update the old "Tyros" OS soon - THEN I'll be interested!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: