Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Few questions from a new Kronos owner of 24 hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ng_friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Sorry I didn't cotton on to your post earlier. I've sort of duplicated the start up failure part.
My problem mirrors this.

You need to exchange it.

Actually just saw your thread. Sounds pretty much exactly like my issue. Intermittent startup fail at around 1/5 boot. I'll be calling up my store today. Only downside is I don't think they have any others in stock, so I'll probably have to wait a few days for them to order a new one in. Will be worth it for the peace of mind though.
ng_friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So another update. Just got my replacement Kronos from the store today. First boot up went smoothly! Also, the data wheel on the new one feels way better than on my old one, and maybe it's just placebo effect, but the main outs sound hotter to me as well. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here. Very glad I went ahead with the exchange.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng_friend wrote:
So another update. Just got my replacement Kronos from the store today. First boot up went smoothly! Also, the data wheel on the new one feels way better than on my old one, and maybe it's just placebo effect, but the main outs sound hotter to me as well. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here. Very glad I went ahead with the exchange.

Great news. I have my replacement which is running smoothly too.
Laughing
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
ng_friend wrote:

Great news. I have my replacement which is running smoothly too.
Laughing

That is encouraging news. Your stores or retail source have their act together.

I appreciate the way both of you gentlemen handled the problem, from identifying it, making a calm effort to solve it , then being decisive about the exchange.

You should have several years of rewarding music creation. Looking forward to hearing that Smile
ng_friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looking forward to get years of enjoyment and use!

I actually made the purchase from Guitar Center, which seems to get a bad rap, but the folks at my local store who helped with my purchase and exchange were top notch.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng_friend wrote:

I actually made the purchase from Guitar Center, which seems to get a bad rap, but the folks at my local store who helped with my purchase and exchange were top notch.

I am glad too have a few GC's nearby. They are minimal on keyboard selection- thats not actually the fault of the store.

The financing option is excellent. They are good for a low price. Returns are hassle free.

My last purchases were from GC online and thru their phone sales. Super easy, fast, good to work with.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was through Andertons Music in the UK. Phoned them with the issue on Monday. A courier bought my new one and took the faulty one away on Wednesday. Impressive.
I've had equally good service from Dawsons Manchester and A &C Hamiltons in Preston.

My new unit is perfect and I've Qui Robinez soundsets loaded on.
Happy days and happy playing years ahead.

Very Happy
ng_friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
ng_friend wrote:

I am glad too have a few GC's nearby. They are minimal on keyboard selection- thats not actually the fault of the store.

The financing option is excellent. They are good for a low price. Returns are hassle free.

My last purchases were from GC online and thru their phone sales. Super easy, fast, good to work with.

Yeah, the selection does seem a bit lacking (they didn't have any Kronos in the store and had to order in both of the ones I tried), but most of the associates I've dealt with there have been great. I agree too that the return policy is awesome. Definitely proved useful in my case.

Have you ever purchased their Pro Coverage? I normally pass on supplemental warranty plans, but I was wondering if the GC one is any good. I think they said I have 45 days to add it if I want to.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ng_friend"]
GregC wrote:
ng_friend wrote:
Definitely looking forward to get years ofere from GC online and thru their phone sales. Super easy, fast, good to work with.

Yeah, the selection does seem a bit lacking (they didn't have any Kronos in the store and had to order in both of the ones I tried), but most of the associates I've dealt with there have been great. I agree too that the return policy is awesome. Definitely proved useful in my case.

Have you ever purchased their Pro Coverage? I normally pass on supplemental warranty plans, but I was wondering if the GC one is any good. I think they said I have 45 days to add it if I want to.

I don't believe in extra warranty stuff. If you buy factory sealed, it should be 100% reliable . Plus Korg has a warranty. Generally, if there is a defect, an owner will sense it quickly.

If its a dodgy component problem, it should fail in the first 30 days. This is 1 reason I recommend leaving a new K2 on 4 hours per day. Like a test of component strength.

I also believe the K is a sophisticated device even while its a + 7 year design.
IOW, I don't agree with the ' its only a simple(old) PC " The Linux kernel, specialized OS and expert Korg programming make it fare more complex than my uncle's 7 yr old Windows PC.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I also believe the K is a sophisticated device even while its a + 7 year design.
IOW, I don't agree with the ' its only a simple(old) PC " The Linux kernel, specialized OS and expert Korg programming make it fare more complex than my uncle's 7 yr old Windows PC.

... and kind of future-proof as well. Every time I upgrade my PC or iPad, I cringe and wonder which plugin or other musical application is going to fall victim to it this time and not work any more, it's developer no longer maintaining it. I don't know if Korg will do any more updates for the Kronos, but if they do, I feel confident all the stuff inside it will still work. Smile
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Every time I upgrade my PC or iPad, I cringe and wonder which plugin or other musical application is going to fall victim to it this time and not work any more, it's developer no longer maintaining it. I don't know if Korg will do any more updates for the Kronos, but if they do, I feel confident all the stuff inside it will still work. Smile

+1
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
GregC wrote:

... and kind of future-proof as well. Every time I upgrade my PC or iPad, I cringe and wonder which plugin or other musical application is going to fall victim to it this time and not work any more, it's developer no longer maintaining it. I don't know if Korg will do any more updates for the Kronos, but if they do, I feel confident all the stuff inside it will still work. Smile

I think its Oasys roots + the 7 yr run as a popular w/s says volumes.

However ( I have to say this), I think long term. Likely due to my age , it might have that effect.

My songs will last another 20 years. At least thats my conviction. Thus, I need the ' song file format' to last at least that long. Some sound programmers might have similar time lines( can't be sure)

I think my only long term option is to save my material as a midi files, as a backup.

We have had good discussion here about 'longevity' in that context. And an evaluation of todays platforms best suited for the next 10/15/20 years.
ng_friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I don't believe in extra warranty stuff. If you buy factory sealed, it should be 100% reliable . Plus Korg has a warranty. Generally, if there is a defect, an owner will sense it quickly.

If its a dodgy component problem, it should fail in the first 30 days. This is 1 reason I recommend leaving a new K2 on 4 hours per day. Like a test of component strength.

That's a fair point. I normally don't bother with protection plans either. I was thinking about it though due to the high cost of the Kronos. I'll probably just pass on it though and just register on the Korg site.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

My songs will last another 20 years. At least thats my conviction. Thus, I need the ' song file format' to last at least that long. Some sound programmers might have similar time lines( can't be sure)

I think my only long term option is to save my material as a midi files, as a backup.

Interesting. I don't worry too much about maintaining the individual source tracks, etc. for a song after I finish it. Maybe I should? Shrugs...

In fact, a lot of the time I'll design a custom sound in a synth, use it for a track, record the audio, and not even save the synth preset. I've been spending a lot of time with modular synths the past couple years, and that might have led to this behavior. With a modular, there really is no "save" button. It all only lasts until you un-patch it to create something else. Better hit record while you can! Smile

But MIDI is probably safe if you want to do that. It's been around since 1983 despite that better standards have been invented (e.g. OSC). I don't think anyone could kill it if they tried!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
GregC wrote:

Interesting. I don't worry too much about maintaining the individual source tracks, etc. for a song after I finish it. Maybe I should? Shrugs...

!

requirements, interests of keyboard players will vary.

A rough analogy of my songs is family history. There's often 1 person in a family who takes on the work of documenting family history thru the decades.

I feel similar to my music, its a chronology of my musical interest/ideas I have had for some decades. So yes, I am more serious than most and created a 2 year project to capture certain material/record it.

If someone is 40 or 50 this is not likely a priority. When a person crosses 60, sometimes events conspire to create the drive to capture all the musical memories. And have something to show for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: