Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using LFOs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ando727

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Using LFOs Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm gradually figuring out how to design sounds on this thing - it's terribly complex compared to what I'm used to on older synths, but I'm getting there. My biggest confusion is in using the LFOs. I'm getting nowhere in understanding the signal paths, how to get them to behave in obvious ways. Even finding parameters that actually predictably do anything is a challenge at the moment. I'm using the HD1 engine - LFOs were incredibly simple on my old Korg T1, but I suspect the possibilities are so endless on the Kronos that I am not seeing the basic functionality in them.

Are there any detailed tutorials on using the LFOs anywhere? I haven't been able to find them as yet. I want to really understand the architecture of them and know how to get the sounds I imagine in my head. I'd like to know how to use them generally in sounds, but also how to assign them to joystick control and vary them that way.

Thankyou.
Kronos 2 88, Korg T1, Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90, TC G-major II.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 91 parameter guide. Start there.
LFO is an AMS source to be assigned to parameters. I bet one LFO can be assigned as AMS over a parameter of another LFO.
If not careful you could tune up frequencies that will levitate the speakers like UFOs or poltergeist depending on who sees it happen.
ß
Not worth explaining because you are right about the complexity. But it is a bit simple on the setup page unless you have a preconceived shape in mind without the actual image of the waveform itself. The guide tells you which parameter sets or tweaks the waveform shape.
Page 75 covers using LFO over filters. LFO has to be assigned as AMS to a parameter first before you can hear what it is doing. If you know what parameter you want and what LFO wave form, then the rest is easy. No one can know what you want unless it is an excerpt from a preset program somewhere or from another keyboard.
Good luck.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LfO pages have parameters for the LFO and that is where you will find AMS options from which you can select JS x&y to modulate for you, if available on the AMS list.
2 LFO per OSC and then a Common LFO. So you have to know which LFO you are setting up and be sure it is the right one being used. Or maybe Kronos simplfied the AMS list LFO options, to make it harder to confuse the wrong one. ?
Again, good luck.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Using LFOs Reply with quote

ando727 wrote:
Ok, so I'm gradually figuring out how to design sounds on this thing - it's terribly complex compared to what I'm used to on older synths, but I'm getting there. My biggest confusion is in using the LFOs. I'm getting nowhere in understanding the signal paths, how to get them to behave in obvious ways. Even finding parameters that actually predictably do anything is a challenge at the moment. I'm using the HD1 engine - LFOs were incredibly simple on my old Korg T1, but I suspect the possibilities are so endless on the Kronos that I am not seeing the basic functionality in them.

Are there any detailed tutorials on using the LFOs anywhere? I haven't been able to find them as yet. I want to really understand the architecture of them and know how to get the sounds I imagine in my head. I'd like to know how to use them generally in sounds, but also how to assign them to joystick control and vary them that way.

Thankyou.

In order not to be completely overwhelmed in the Kronos, you should follow the user's guide page by page, step by step.
Then, I agree with what has been already said : go to Parameter's Guide.

What is important to know, is the AMS system wich is very close to the real modular system :

- on one hand, you have numbers of modulation sources, including LFOs, enveloppes, etc.
- On the other hand you have numbers of parameters that can be modulated by AMS sources.

On a basic work, there is no connection between the both. So, if you want to modulate one thing (filter cutoff for instance) you have to connect one modulation source (LFO1 for instance) to the cutoff frequency. If you don't do that, you won't get any modulation. Things are going exactly the same way on a modular analog system, except here you don't plug physical wire but just modify a parameter on the screen.

So the procedure is
1) identify where is the parameter you want to bee modulated
2) set it to the right source (here, LFO1 for example)
3) set the intensity of modulation, on the same page
4) go to the modulator page. Here, the LFO1 page
5) set the parameter you want for this modulator. For instance, choose le LFO waveform.

If you use somme method, you won't be drowned.
ando727

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your replies guys, I'll give it another try tonight and let you know how I get on.

It's amazing how much time I have spent on my Kronos trying to get it to sound like my old T1 patches! Wink
Kronos 2 88, Korg T1, Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90, TC G-major II.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a T1 too, many years ago. It incorporated the basic M1 samples.
Well, a guy did a software M1 to Kronos converter.

Here is the link toward the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejh-bUZhqh4

And here is the link toward the download page : http://bakyardsoft.com/bakyard/M1ToKronos051Setup.exe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: