Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2018 is near. What do you wish for? Your predictions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:

That's a good idea, only I don't know how to code..... Crying or Very sad

I can build us a 64bit Sample Engine that can stream samples. Really all we need to do is discuss the hardware and what approach to take on a build.

Regards
Sharp.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARP2600

I'd be surprised if Korg wasn't working on this.
demonp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish a workstation with really nice modern samples in it, not the reissue of something from 80th. Where Orchestra is really an orchestra, violin is really a violin etc. Choirs to add words to sing. Why they still use MBs in memory instead of GB? The loading speed for fully packed Kronos is rediculous. There are tons of possibilities to upgrade. I know all of this we already have in software, but why not in hardware, packed in a sturdy metal case. The interface more user friendly like in smartphone apps.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonp wrote:
I wish a workstation with really nice modern samples in it, not the reissue of something from 80th. Where Orchestra is really an orchestra, violin is really a violin etc. Choirs to add words to sing. Why they still use MBs in memory instead of GB? The loading speed for fully packed Kronos is rediculous. There are tons of possibilities to upgrade. I know all of this we already have in software, but why not in hardware, packed in a sturdy metal case. The interface more user friendly like in smartphone apps.

Kronos has old tech, at least 6 yrs old.

I personally don't think substantial tweaking of it makes much long term sense
My guess is that we might see some small or minor changes, think low cost.

If Korg does decide to do a game changer ( not sure this is the best term) type W/s, a mostly new approach, including UI, power, sounds, capability, is what makes more sense. A new, re-imagined W/s. Not a copy cat.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
If Korg does decide to do a game changer ( not sure this is the best term) type W/s, a mostly new approach, including UI, power, sounds, capability, is what makes more sense. A new, re-imagined W/s. Not a copy cat.

I generally agree with your analysis, but this is one reason I keep talking about a decomposable workstation - where the architecture is the static part, and the workstation can be assembled, expanded and upgraded piecemeal as resources and needs change. AIRA is so close to this concept it hurts - almost as if Roland got a great idea, and then saw a shiny coin on the ground and forgot to follow through.
wma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kronos has old tech, at least 6 yrs old.

I personally don't think substantial tweaking of it makes much long term sense
My guess is that we might see some small or minor changes, think low cost.

new colors again Razz[/quote]
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
megamarkd wrote:

That's a good idea, only I don't know how to code..... Crying or Very sad

I can build us a 64bit Sample Engine that can stream samples. Really all we need to do is discuss the hardware and what approach to take on a build.

Regards
Sharp.

Sounds good. I'll help with something, I used a good amount of them at least, heheh. Perhaps a new thread could be started to discuss and gauge interest?

I've not used either of Akai's new stand-alone's but from what I read, they sound like MPC's with Ableton Live like looping functions. They don't have a performance type mode to create multisampled instruments. There are many many things that a sampling synth would have that they are missing such as reverse loop in release and a stupidly big modulation matrix (IIRC my e5000 had 64 slots and some incredible modulation destinations such as sample start position and loop point modulation). Maybe the new Akai machines may have inspired some competition? About month to find out.

Remix/DJ samplers are covered properly by Akai once again, but a full function workstation performance sampling synthesiser is still missing from the market. I've not used a Korg Microsampler but they seem like they were aimed at the performer. Every time I consider it I remember, oh no onscreen waveforms.
Really I'd like to see something akin to the Radias as far as form factor but include a large screen similar to that on the MPC X only with the older function-key+cursor control too, just to account for one day the touch part of the screen will stop working. Allowing the player to place the synth controls and display wherever they like. Oh and an unsprung joystick should be one of the controls.

I listened to a recent interview with the guys from Coil/Throbbing Gristle and they mentioned they got to use a Fairlight MKII in the mid 80's and when describing it, they said although it is a sampler, it was originally meant to be a Mellotron emulator and as such had functions not on many other samplers still today. Overlooking what they did with it, it's interesting that they made a quick plea for anyone with a MKII to sell it to them, which makes me want to find out what it is that the Fairlight did that they want another over the many amazing workstation samplers that have come since.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i think its time for a real software workstation...
Running all the features we love and like from workstations inside a PC...
Bitwig, Live but most of all reason are perfect DAWs for expanding in such a way. Making it a perfect toll for going live on the road with a software based setup where everything integrates.

Want arranger styles. add an arranger module to the virtual rack
Want Karma, add a Karma module to the virtual rack
Want a new VSt, add it to the rack

All they need to do to make it work is add a dedicated controller for the software. with a big touchscreen, a knobs sliders controll section, drumpads, and a whole slew of programmable buttons (with an rectal LCD above them to show their function)

ISn't it time for some real integration and innovaton?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
All they need to do to make it work is add a dedicated controller for the software. with a big touchscreen, a knobs sliders controll section, drumpads, and a whole slew of programmable buttons (with an rectal LCD above them to show their function)

Ask Akai Pro how that worked for them, and how much their public loved it.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Ask Akai Pro how that worked for them, and how much their public loved it.

Heheheh, yeah it worked really well, thus the back-to-hardware offerings, Arturia too, Spark seems to have been replaced by the DrumBrute....All that said, Mashine is doing well.

E-MU's Ultras were essentially bespoke PC's. Open one up and they looked like a PC, had a P/S2 port for a computer keyboard to enter names, even had a higher RAM capacity than most of the consumer PC's motherboards of the time. Akai's MPC Live and X are also custom computers, in fact all digital synths are running some sort of computer operating system, just a matter of giving them a vdu port of some description and an intuitive control surface (a mouse and keyboard don't cut it for me). The Radias form factor incorporating a touch screen and page control surface and an 8in/8out audio/MIDI rear panel for interfacing with it. That's it. It can sit at the centre of the studio as would a master keyboard, computer keyboard, mouse and monitor does now.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the approach, I suppose that they could, in principle, be aiming Gadget that way in the long term.

But KORG doesn't seem to operate that way, so I doubt that's their gameplan.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Bitwig, Live but most of all reason are perfect DAWs for expanding in such a way. Making it a perfect toll for going live on the road with a software based setup where everything integrates.

Time for a new take on Open Labs Neko - Maybe they were too ahead of their game, but it's something I'd kill for now.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?? What are ya'll going to do with all that bass ???.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:

Time for a new take on Open Labs Neko - Maybe they were too ahead of their game, but it's something I'd kill for now.

+1
Having switched to Komplete Ultimate 11 and a Kontrol Keyboard, all my hardware instruments have taken a major back seat.

Sharp.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Yes, that and receptor and All.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: