Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on sharing own music online

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KorganizR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on sharing own music online Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just wanted to hear your opinions on this.
It is not entirely Kronos-related though. Moderators, let me know if I should move this topic elsewhere.

I have owned an M1 since 1989, and in 2011 I bought a Kronos61. I've also used a few DAWs to record songs.
In the 30 years or so of music making I've written and recorded a lot of musical sketches and unfinished compositions in my little home studio.
I've also finished dozens of original songs which sound very OK to me, in different genres and varying from about 2 minutes to over 10 minutes.
I have shared these finished songs in the past with family and friends and they encourage me to do more with my music.

Here's the thing: I'm feeling quite ambivalent in sharing my own music on the internet.
I know there's SoundCloud, YouTube and the lot, and getting feedback from listeners would really be great.
Well, to be honest, if my music is really 'good enough', it would also be nice to earn a little money from it too if that's realistic (not sure if it is though Wink).

However, I constantly ponder about the following questions:
1. what if after sharing, someone else copies the ideas in my songs, or worse, publishes the songs, pretended they composed them themselves, and make money from it?
2. what if I myself have (unknowingly) incporporated ideas in my songs that others had before I had/published them; could I get in trouble for that?
3. should I first 'register' my songs in some way, so that I can prove I wrote them, with a given timestamp? (e.g. with www.boip.int in the Benelux)

Keeping my music to myself and sharing it only with family and friends feels like I might be missing some opportunities.
First and foremost, in getting feedback from fellow musicians.

So I feel I could share a few of my songs with the internet, but the three questions listed above are keeping me from it.
Writing, recording and perfecting these songs took considerable time and effort, so I don't want to take this decision too lightly.
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid about it ("the big bad internet"), or maybe I wrongly think my music is too original (could very well be Wink).
Still, I want to think this through properly, before I make the jump.

I would love to hear your opinions on this.
Are there others like me that are in the same limbo-zone when it comes to online sharing the music that they've written and recorded?
Do you perhaps want to share your good or bad experiences regarding online music-sharing/publishing?
Do you have advice when it comes to registration of original music? Especially in The Netherlands/Benelux area.
I appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,
KorganizR
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I wouldn’t worry so much! It will be your music, you have composed it and can access the raw files. If you incorporate ideas, it really depends on whether they’re influences, (I’m sure we are all doing that anyway) or straight rip offs of a tune. To be honest you’d have to be successful in the first place for anyone to get too interested and as long as you’re not wilfully just plagiarising then I’d not worry.

You’ll need to get some aggregator to get on iTunes etc, plenty about.

I’ve just started to work on my first solo LP, and I recognise your questions. In all likelihood, no one will listen to my music even when on iTunes! But hey.

Lots of good advice on forums like SOS where real musicians and producers can give good advice, check that it too

Good luck!

Ian
arne v

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, imho i think the clue on putting stuff on soundcloud is dont put your best stuff there. Things you know might get "stolen". On the other hand you will be surprised in how few ppl actually will listen to your music. Not that its bad or anything, but the negativ side of SC is its so damn hard to find any music there...
If you want it to be your "legacy" go ahead and put it out there Smile
regards avr
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on sharing own music online Reply with quote

KorganizR wrote:
Hi all,

Just wanted to hear your opinions on this.
It is not entirely Kronos-related though. Moderators, let me know if I should move this topic elsewhere.

I have owned an M1 since 1989, and in 2011 I bought a Kronos61. I've also used a few DAWs to record songs.
In the 30 years or so of music making I've written and recorded a lot of musical sketches and unfinished compositions in my little home studio.
I've also finished dozens of original songs which sound very OK to me, in different genres and varying from about 2 minutes to over 10 minutes.
I have shared these finished songs in the past with family and friends and they encourage me to do more with my music.

Here's the thing: I'm feeling quite ambivalent in sharing my own music on the internet.
I know there's SoundCloud, YouTube and the lot, and getting feedback from listeners would really be great.
Well, to be honest, if my music is really 'good enough', it would also be nice to earn a little money from it too if that's realistic (not sure if it is though Wink).

However, I constantly ponder about the following questions:
1. what if after sharing, someone else copies the ideas in my songs, or worse, publishes the songs, pretended they composed them themselves, and make money from it?
2. what if I myself have (unknowingly) incporporated ideas in my songs that others had before I had/published them; could I get in trouble for that?
3. should I first 'register' my songs in some way, so that I can prove I wrote them, with a given timestamp? (e.g. with www.boip.int in the Benelux)

Keeping my music to myself and sharing it only with family and friends feels like I might be missing some opportunities.
First and foremost, in getting feedback from fellow musicians.

So I feel I could share a few of my songs with the internet, but the three questions listed above are keeping me from it.
Writing, recording and perfecting these songs took considerable time and effort, so I don't want to take this decision too lightly.
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid about it ("the big bad internet"), or maybe I wrongly think my music is too original (could very well be Wink).
Still, I want to think this through properly, before I make the jump.

I would love to hear your opinions on this.
Are there others like me that are in the same limbo-zone when it comes to online sharing the music that they've written and recorded?
Do you perhaps want to share your good or bad experiences regarding online music-sharing/publishing?
Do you have advice when it comes to registration of original music? Especially in The Netherlands/Benelux area.
I appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,
KorganizR

I know nothing about local or country copyright laws for your original music.

I had similar concerns as you 1 year ago.
Here in the US, its easy. Publish the recording with an on line distributor and legally its your song and have rights.

I would be flattered if anyone approached me about my material. There are a few million of us song writers out there. Maybe 10 million. Smile

Get the big picture ?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to find out about specific copyrights laws in Netherlands. This could answer your three questions..

Furthermore, there is a difference between "sharing" and "selling". If you share on internet you won't expect earning money. You'll have to think to your strategy before uploading if you expect some money for your music.
KorganizR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much those of you who have replied, for your input and perspectives.
I appreciate it. There are some valuable tips in there. Smile

Seems on the one hand, I need not to worry about it too much, I'll probably barely get noticed anyway.
On the other hand, I still can do some preparations before I put some of my music online. Which is what I will be focusing on next.

Thanks again.
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost only covers on my soundcloud page.

I still have no idea how my cover of Cliff Richard's "We Don't Talk Anymore" has been listened to 2,397 times.

None of my other songs come even close. It's Odd.

https://soundcloud.com/user-831858763
tomto66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KorganizeR: I see you're in the Netherlands: just register your songs with Buma Stemra! It's easy and gives you copyright protection!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagnergrad96 wrote:
I have almost only covers on my soundcloud page.

I still have no idea how my cover of Cliff Richard's "We Don't Talk Anymore" has been listened to 2,397 times.

Its a catchy tune about faltering relationship. Your performance is excellent, thats your vocal ?

I enjoy covering '70's material. I flirted with the idea of doing one man band of the stuff in my area, but did not find much interest. Big part is that folks expect country music or silly gangster pop , of which I have zero interest.
KorganizR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KorganizeR: I see you're in the Netherlands: just register your songs with Buma Stemra! It's easy and gives you copyright protection!

@tomto66: Thanks kindly for your help.

FYI: I did already visit the Buma/Stemra website to learn what is possible with respect to copyright claims.
In the Netherlands, the Buma/Stemra organisation only collects money on behalf of you as a composer/songwriter, for reproduction of your music on broadcasts or gigs (so called exploitation rights).
However, registration with Buma/Stemra is *not* legal evidence of ownership of your music.
So in case of a copyright dispute, registration with Buma/Stemra is not going to help. This can be read here on their website:
https://www.bumastemra.nl/auteursuitgevers/rechtenbescherming/

They advise you to go for instance to the Benelux Bureau of Intellectual Property (BBIE, website www.boip.int ) and register your music (e.g. mp3's) in a so called 'I-Depot'.
At the moment I am considering doing that.
That should suffice as proof that I actually am the "inventor" of my music.
But I am not sure what the scope of their protection is (Benelux only, or e.g. worldwide).
Also, as others pointed out, I of course also have the raw files, that will probably also be proof that I created the particular piece of music.
I will have to do some more research on that, also to see if it really is worth while.
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Wagnergrad96 wrote:

Its a catchy tune about faltering relationship. Your performance is excellent, thats your vocal ?

All of the tracks on my soundcloud page are me doing everything. The vocals are all me except for a few by a female friend. I record everything on my Kronos. I don't have a computer.

I try to be careful in choosing the songs and limit them to ones I can play and sing well. My voice is dying a slow death but I still have fun.

"We Don't Talk Anymore" was done before I realized that my .wav. files are filled with clicks and pops. Now I just edit them out, but there are a few that are audible in that track.

Thank you for the compliment Smile

- Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: