Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound management, move different setlists to different PCG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fteering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Sound management, move different setlists to different PCG Reply with quote

I'm am very pleased with my Kronos 76. So pleases that is installed way to many sounds in the beginning. Now, after 2 years playing I am playing in different bands, and each band has its own setlist.

To free up my Kronos I want to have different PCG files for each band. So when I want to play with band 1, I'll load the setlist and sounds/samples etc. for that bank.

My problem is that is have no idea how to take one setlist with all the combi's, programs and samples and move that to a "new" PCG, and repeat the same for the other setlists. Ideal I would have 3 PCG files, one for each band with all the sounds, samples, combi's etc...

Does anybody have a good idea how to do this?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos has 128 separate setlists, each with 128 slots, so there are 16384 slots in total, enough to cater for the needs of most players. Setlists could be renamed so they mean something, e.g. Band A, Set 1, Band B, Set 1, and so on. There is a character limit of 24 for the Set List names.

Set List names can be changed by selecting a Set List and doing Write Set List from the drop down menu at top right of screen. The dialog box top line has a "T" on the left, indicating it can be edited. Tap inside the name field and the on-screen keyboard will appear.

Samples should be stored on the Kronos SSD. Sample files can be loaded as necessary from Disk mode. Alternatively, they can be loaded on startup based on selections for autoload in Global KSC Auto-Load.

It's worth reading the Kronos Operations Guide section entitled "Loading & Saving Data and Creating CDs" to develop a clearer idea of what can be achieved.

tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound management, move different setlists to different P Reply with quote

fteering wrote:
To free up my Kronos I want to have different PCG files for each band. So when I want to play with band 1, I'll load the setlist and sounds/samples etc. for that bank.

Can you expound on this? What limitation are you trying to address? Are you running out of Program slots? RAM? Or is it just an issue with organization?

I’d expect, as stated above, that there are plenty of Setlist entries available to accommodate your situation.

I would also expect that there should be sufficient Combi entries available, but organization is sometimes challenging and requires forethought or time-consuming re-organization at times.

Sample management can be one area which also requires more than casual knowledge and attention, if you leverage custom samples, and if this is one of the issues you are trying to address you will want to become intimately familiar with how to create, combine and load/unload them.

You *could* set up separate KSC files for each application, but I suspect that would not be necessary given all of the above.
fteering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sound management, move different setlists to different P Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
fteering wrote:

Can you expound on this? What limitation are you trying to address? Are you running out of Program slots? RAM? Or is it just an issue with organization?

I’d expect, as stated above, that there are plenty of Setlist entries available to accommodate your situation.

I would also expect that there should be sufficient Combi entries available, but organization is sometimes challenging and requires forethought or time-consuming re-organization at times.

Sample management can be one area which also requires more than casual knowledge and attention, if you leverage custom samples, and if this is one of the issues you are trying to address you will want to become intimately familiar with how to create, combine and load/unload them.

You *could* set up separate KSC files for each application, but I suspect that would not be necessary given all of the above.

Good point. I am running out of program slots, combi and setlist more then enough, but in my enthousiasm of the Kronos I loaded to much installed to much sound sets. So the idea is to create 2 PCG files, or backups, which I can restore for the purpose.... So I would like to delete programs to free up space, but have to make sure that the combi's in the setlist still work and won't miss programs.....
fteering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Kronos has 128 separate setlists, each with 128 slots, so there are 16384 slots in total, enough to cater for the needs of most players. Setlists could be renamed so they mean something, e.g. Band A, Set 1, Band B, Set 1, and so on. There is a character limit of 24 for the Set List names.

Set List names can be changed by selecting a Set List and doing Write Set List from the drop down menu at top right of screen. The dialog box top line has a "T" on the left, indicating it can be edited. Tap inside the name field and the on-screen keyboard will appear.

Samples should be stored on the Kronos SSD. Sample files can be loaded as necessary from Disk mode. Alternatively, they can be loaded on startup based on selections for autoload in Global KSC Auto-Load.

It's worth reading the Kronos Operations Guide section entitled "Loading & Saving Data and Creating CDs" to develop a clearer idea of what can be achieved.

Thank you. I was to clear about my problem. Problem is the program slots are full. So I would like to free up program slots without loosing programs that are used in my setlists. Thank you for the tip reading Creating CD's, I will read that.
Sweat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this same issue, like many kronos users. There is plenty of room for new Combis and Setlists, as that is not the problem.

To better organize programs, I first decided to move or copy all programs that are referenced by my own Combis or Setlists into one of my own program banks like USER-CC thru USER-GG. By using PCG Tools or the Kronos Editor, references are kept.

Then, I can free up any (or ALL) factory program locations (INT-A thru USER-BB) without fear... Or reload them with anything. Now, I still want the ability to audition original factory programs, so this is what I do...

I have better arranged the factory programs into banks by categories (pianos, organs, synths, bells) and saved them as separate .pcg files like LeadSynths.pcg, BellMallets.pcg or AllPianos.pcg.
I can quickly load say - my 2 banks of organs, my 4 banks of synths, my bank of guitars in any bank to audition. After finding the sound I want, I copy it to one of my own user banks mentioned above, and use it there.

For me, this was just the beginning of better sound management. Learning about User Sample Banks followed.
tunaman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Program slots can become scarce when you load a lot of third party libraries.

As Sweat pointed out, you will likely need to become very familiar with PCGTools and/or Kronos Editor and put in a lot of time working through the organization.

First and foremost, BACKUP frequently and methodically. It sounds like you already understand that.

There’s several ways to accomplish the end results, but thinking through your scenario here are my thought processes:

You will need to spend time analyzing your data and what is required for each scenario. You will need to intimately understand what you are using in order to know what you aren’t. Programs are straightforward, but Combi’s can be a pitfall due to the layering and you can orphan and destroy voices if you’re not careful. This is one of the areas where PCGTools comes in extremely handy.

The ability to move Programs around, along with their reference data, is very useful and can help to organize the Programs in a logical order *for you*.

The ability to open and drill into the PCG files via the onboard disk management is one of the most useful capabilities, as it is trivial to locate a Program (or multiples) from within the PCG and install it to an alternate location and still have it function as designed. It can be a cumbersome process to do so for a large number of Programs, unless they are contiguous and you have sufficient contiguous slots available, but it can be done on a singular basis should that be necessary (and you have sufficient time and patience).

Combi’s are more difficult, if you’ve moved Programs around as mentioned, but not impossible if you use PCGTools as you can identify which Program(s) should be associated with each timbre and then recreate the association to the correct Program - the Combi parameters will still be configured properly (pitch/keyzones/etc).

The beauty of the Kronos design is that you can load PCG files at will, if you understand the mechanics, and as long as you have proper backups it is usually easy enough to recover from screwups, at least from my experience.

I will caveat all of the above with the proviso that I do not have any purchased third party libraries. I have a ton of external content installed, but none which require licensing, so I do not know whether there are idiosyncrasies with licensing that may adversely impact the info above.
fteering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses.... I Will use PCG Tools te separate the setlist and the corresponding Combi's and programs. So for each band a different PCG file, together with the samples I use.
After that I can remove the unused programs....

It helped a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: