Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L/R balance using sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: L/R balance using sequencer Reply with quote

Learning to use the Kronos sequencer...Recorded several tracks using headphones...No ifx on any programs...All channels L/R centered at 64...Sounded fine...

Played it thru my system (using main outs stereo)

Problem #1 - left side is much louder than right side.
Problem #2 - R and L reversed. When I pan right, instrument moves towards stage left and vise versa.

Btw - just using sequencer record/play/locate buttons - nothing transferred to audio yet.

Is there a sequencer balance somewhere I am unaware of? Shouldn't headphone output duplicate main L/R outs?

Also, I use this system live. It works normally.

Ideas?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: L/R balance using sequencer Reply with quote

4GodnWV wrote:
Learning to use the Kronos sequencer...Recorded several tracks using headphones...No ifx on any programs...All channels L/R centered at 64...Sounded fine...

Played it thru my system (using main outs stereo)

Problem #1 - left side is much louder than right side.
Problem #2 - R and L reversed. When I pan right, instrument moves towards stage left and vise versa.

Btw - just using sequencer record/play/locate buttons - nothing transferred to audio yet.

Is there a sequencer balance somewhere I am unaware of? Shouldn't headphone output duplicate main L/R outs?

Also, I use this system live. It works normally.

Ideas?

are you recording AP's/ EP's ? Korg uses strong stereo imaging on piano programs to give it a spacious sound IMO.

I have friends with discerning ears and reference monitors and they noted the ' panning ' on Kronos Programs- and I had everything dead center on my Song recording.

So I think the panning FX is baked in to certain Kronos programs.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to problem #1 might partially depend on what program you are using. For example, certain programs don't have just sit in the centre even though you are using a pan of 064. I'm thinking specifically of some piano programs, which spread across the sound field to emulate what you would hear with a real piano in front of you. I expect that some other programs will have a similar setup.

The headphone output does duplicate the stereo outs, but is it possible that your headphones don't reflect that panning as clearly as your external set-up?

However - and I'm sure that you'll have checked it out already - the obvious possible cause is that your left and rights are connected to the mixer the wrong way around and that the gain on your inputs need adjusting. I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time by suggesting the stuff that you have already tried. Beyond that, I really can't imagine what could be going wrong.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further thought. Could it be that the issue doesn't lie with the connections you've made from the Kronos to your mixer, but is instead further along the chain - from your mixer to your PA, for example?
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m

Problem solved. You certainly were not wasting my time by suggesting external connections. Since I am working from a stationary setup the last thing on my mind was a bad cord. I use a DI box to split each keyboard in the stack into XLR for the snake to the PA and 1/4" TRS to my on-stage mixer. Started reversing cords at the Kronos and worked my way to the culprit. (1/4" jumper out of the DI)

Apparently it happened between the last live performance and going back to listen to my previous work on the sequencer through the system, which I hadn't done before. Freak timing, and equally weird problem really.

Thnx
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. Freak timing, as you say - when you're trying to get to grips with something on the Kronos, the last thing you'd have expected was for an unusual problem to spring up elsewhere. Glad that it's sorted now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: