Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filters : Serial or Parallel ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Filters : Serial or Parallel ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I don't see or hear any difference between serial or parallel routing of the Filter.
By the way, if you read the Parameters Guide, page 74, you can see the diagrams of both routings : they are exactly the same !
So, I'd like to know if you think this setting useful and in what case you are using one or the other.
Thanks
Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liviou2004,

There is quite a bit of difference between the two, though I must say I don't use both filters all that often :)

Serial sends the sound through Filter A first, then through Filter B, so you get the accumulated results of both. Parallel sends the source through Filter A and B separately and mixes the results. If you set A to HighPass and B to LowPass you should be able to distinguish between the router settings. Set both filters to around 50 and you'll get kind of BandPass for Serial, while Parallel will give you both high and low frequencies, with a peak around the midrange.

On page 74 of the parameter guide here: http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/424/2011/ there are two distinctly different images. One where the filters overlap and one where the curves are combined into one. Perhaps there was an issue in an earlier version and you have that?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunnar wrote:
Hi Liviou2004,

On page 74 of the parameter guide here: http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/424/2011/ there are two distinctly different images. One where the filters overlap and one where the curves are combined into one. Perhaps there was an issue in an earlier version and you have that?

Thank you. I will deepen my practice ! For now I'm not sure it produces a big difference.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on ho you program them. E.g in parallel mode with different settings, and different Envelopes and modulation you will achieve more complex movement that you could with a single filter.

Thing about it. A high pass and low pass filter in series will give you a band pass or band notch filter depending which way round you have them. If you have them in parallel, each filter is working on the raw sound as opposed to the second filter working on the results of the first one.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
It depends on ho you program them. E.g in parallel mode with different settings, and different Envelopes and modulation you will achieve more complex movement that you could with a single filter.

Thing about it. A high pass and low pass filter in series will give you a band pass or band notch filter depending which way round you have them. If you have them in parallel, each filter is working on the raw sound as opposed to the second filter working on the results of the first one.

Yes it's clear, thank you. I'll try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: