Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Analog synth sounds. Kronos has made it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tand

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks folks. Many great value ideas and experiences were exchanged here and that elucidated many doubts I had.

Actually I'm trying to bring less stuff to gigs (not home). I have to carry ventilator, breath controller, breath adapter, keyboard controller, Kronos, stand, and others stuffs. I'll try to replace the ventilator with organimation, I think ventilator is better, but if its closer I'll stick with it.

So, if I could to do the same, for synth sounds, using the VA instead of a real one, in my case, that would be better.

aron wrote:
>Yes, a minimoog is fat- but that's because of the 3 oscillators and the detuning and circuitry. But other analog synthesizers are not fat. At least not fatter than the Kronos. In fact, with the Kronos effects it is way bigger sounding than most analog synths.

I really believe what you guys said about get easier to the point with analogs synths, but If I can get very closer fat sound or even better than most analog synths using all the resources Kronos has to offer, like Aron said, that would be better to my personal case. Again, in my personal reality. Even though If Santa Claus gave me one I would be extremely happy Very Happy

Really thanks guys, great and quality discussion in the topic with many folks I have so much respect.

Cheers.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tand wrote:
Actually I'm trying to bring less stuff to gigs (not home). I have to carry ventilator, breath controller, breath adapter, keyboard controller, Kronos, stand, and others stuffs. I'll try to replace the ventilator with organimation, I think ventilator is better, but if its closer I'll stick with it.

I think this is a key point. While I love having all my tools and versatility on hand in the studio, it's overkill for most gigs. I'm in the same boat where I'd rather get by with hauling less gear around, but still want certain sounds beyond the Kronos/Integra combo. I'm looking into Organimation instead of a Vent, esp since I'm not a great 70's style organ soloist. And the Minitaur is so portable, it's gets taken to a live gig... great bottom end to keep up with my bass guitar. Then why not bring my OB6, not to practice, but to shows? But then by the time I add in the sound system and bass guitars, I'm hauling more stuff than the drummer...

I just need to build dedicated "pedalboards" with all the audio and MIDI cords and power supplies pre-wired, so I can plop it behind the MIDI controller on the 2nd tier of my keyboard rig, and I'm good to go like the guitarist with his pedalboard.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
I have long believed that the term warmth has been linked to older Vintage synths mainly because those that own them tend to be middle aged collectors who's hearing range has starting to dull...everything else that is digital sounds full of high frequency content to them making them sound cold....So as convinced as some may feel analog is better,with the correct filtering and Eqing its totally possible to replicate analog warmth or dullness on a digital...

For the record, I personally never said analog was "better". My Micron is way more flexible than my Minitaur, and in some ways "better" because it has FX, polyphony, multi-timbrality, and all those luscious filter types. The Minitaur is a single-purpose bass synth, and is "better" for that function alone than the Minitaur.

Point is, there is a definite difference between analog and digital. There are even differences between analogs... I returned my Prophet 12, not because I'm a snob, but because even compared to my Micron it didn't deliver a certain fatness, bottom end, and vintage quality that I was looking for. "Better" is subjective, of course. Objectively speaking, the difference, in general, between analog and digital is definitely discernible, although that gap and that requirement is narrowing rapidly.

Finally, as for middle-aged hearing, I did consider that. But when comparing synths to synths, in the here and now, your hearing loss of higher frequencies wouldn't make much of a difference since both synths are being listened to by the same ear, if ya know what I mean Wink
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:

I surprizingly like the BEHRINGER DEEPMIND synths.
They hava a smokey quality i like, and they have some YAMAHA CS mojo to them.
And they are priced right.

At the end of the day, my KRONOS satisfies so well i can live without an analogue synth.

I agree with all of that. The DeepMind 12 is a good synth and has definitely grown on me. I love its powerful filter and arpeggiator (with MIDI transmit). I can function without it, but am very glad to have one. That said, the reason I made that DM12 versus Kronos VIDEO was to show that Kronos covers a lot of that territory very well.

I did not use an analogue, when I was homaging 80's slasher tracks for a recent Kronos/Virus SCORE I did, yet quite a few people commented on the sound of it.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
spaceman3 wrote:

At the end of the day, my KRONOS satisfies so well i can live without an analogue synth.

I agree with all of that. The DeepMind 12 is a good synth and has definitely grown on me. I love its powerful filter and arpeggiator (which I have MIDI'd to Kronos). I can function without it, but am very glad to have one. That said, the reason I made that DM12 versus Kronos VIDEO was to show that Kronos covers a lot of that territory very well.

I did not use an analogue, when I was homaging 80's slasher tracks for a recent Kronos/Virus SCORE I did, yet quite a few people commented on the sound of it.

I say i dont need an analogue synth, but man that darn BEHRINGER DEEPMIND wont stop speaking to me.
Saw your horror score, and the DEEPMIND video's you did.
Enjoyed them. Cool
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always Mike, great contribution !!! Spaceman 3- buy it! Smile Smile Smile
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
spaceman3 wrote:

I agree with all of that. The DeepMind 12 is a good synth and has definitely grown on me. I love its powerful filter and arpeggiator (with MIDI transmit). I can function without it, but am very glad to have one. That said, the reason I made that DM12 versus Kronos VIDEO was to show that Kronos covers a lot of that territory very well.

I am also waiting on Behringer version of the OBX-A. Thanks for the comparison video on these keyboards.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:

If I may ask: How do you exchange sounds with others on the DeepMind 12?

Cool video and thanks for the info!
LivePsy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appeal of a syntheiser alongside the Kronos is mostly the knobby and logical interface. Kronos interface design is terrible. Page flipping and parameters laid out like some of the early free VSTs. Shocking in 2017. Korg has spent all this time doing nothing to improve the user programming experience. Apart from the MS-20 and Poly6, the interfaces are unintuitive and uncreative. White background and deathly boring parameter after parameter.

A real upgrade for verion 4 would be attractive and helpful interfaces and groovebox pattern sequencing on the touch screen.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've always been more than happy with the Kronos' VA engines, I've just bought Roland's System 8, and I'm seriously impressed with what they've done with ACB technology - Some people have complained about various demo videos sounding "Digital"... well, that's YouTube for you. I can assure you that Roland have finally got it right this time.

That dreadful 3 layer VA monstrosity they've been sticking to for the past 5 years is finally dead and buried. Beautiful PWM, Sync/Ring Mod & Supersaw, with no signs of aliasing. I believe I made the right choice over the DM12.

Bring on the Behringer Model D Wink
black953mj

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tand wrote:
Actually I'm trying to bring less stuff to gigs (not home).

I gig as well and while I am lucky enough to have some real analog synths around I only take the Kronos anymore since I can get the sounds so close to their real analog equivalent most of the time. And honestly, with other all the other instruments going in a live setting (without having the actual original recording of the song there to do and A/B comparison to) you can be pretty far away from the "sound" and no one will notice (OK, some people will, most will not). Smile
Minimoog Voyager - DSI Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB-6 - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos 2 - KingKORG - Novation MiniNova - Roland JU-06 - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads
arne v

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyC wrote:
As always Mike, great contribution !!! Spaceman 3- buy it! Smile Smile Smile

I have also looked at the DM12 and DS Rev2, but went for the Arturia Matrixbrute since its VCO and not DCO. I plugged it into the Kronos using the Kronos effect engine and it sounds amazing Smile (Mono in=> stereo out)
The thing that amazed me the most in the DM12 is the VR solution on programming and since i cant afford both i got the brute
regards avr
AMR

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engines in kronos are quite realistic.
Pitty it misses the monopooy.

AL1 with free drift and random phase play and no aliasing is amazing if programmed well. As analog as they come.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
If I may ask: How do you exchange sounds with others on the DeepMind 12?

Hi, Dniss. I didn't know the answer to this question, back when you asked. I knew that the DM12 could do a sysex bank dump, but I wanted to be able to use the App. I had a heck of a time finding the bank folder.

Using the DM12 App, linked with the DM12, you go to PRESET MANAGER. On the left side of the screen, you will select a bank, which should be mirrored on the Deepmind display. Select COPY TO RIGHT and the bank goes into the app, as an .syx file.

I'm on Windows. To find the files (which you can send to your friend), you go to your computer's disk manager. Go to drive C and follow this path:

USERS--USER NAME (you) --APPDATA--ROAMING--PHAT 12 (the Deepmind's original name) -- BANKS.

You will then see the .syx files.

NOTE: Windows hides the AppData folder, so you must check the VIEW menu's "Hidden Items" box to see it!

Here is a picture of the path:

I'm pretty sure you can send the .syx and have the recipient drop that into his corresponding app folder.
highlandstudio91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Because it sounds different. Digital cannot emulate the sound of Analog. it does not have the bottom end, the tubbiness, the buzz.

And if you want analog, it's the only way to get it.

It's akin to piano. the corollary here is why not used a Casio home keyboard as your piano sound? It's close enough... Who cares about string resonance or pedal thunks? Instead of all that money for a Kronos, a Casio PX-5S is really ALL you need, right?

Digital cannot emulate analog...heh? The quality of the sound depends on what METHODS are used, to emulate that sound.

Case in point; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIXuxp2I2B0

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/description.html

You're comparative piano/Casio analogy is utter rhetoric & subterfuge and your provincial attitude is sickening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: